Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - The Ganges Sue Perkins

The Ganges Sue Perkins

An area for quizzes, games and chat.

The Ganges Sue Perkins

Postby Borneo » 28 Oct 2017 14:30

Has anyone watched Sue Perkins and the Ganges. :o I know you get a culture shock when you go to India but !!! It has to be the worse ever.
We are going to Kerala November 2018 I've been googling and trip advisor and it says it's very eco friendly and not only have their own spice garden but vegetables also, they (hotels ) produce their own electric and desilanated water, and say it's like heaven. Here's hoping .
Borneo
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: The Ganges Sue Perkins

Postby tomvet » 28 Oct 2017 14:36

It will be heaven - then again is that not the developing world -the chasm between the haves and the have nots! You will be in luxury inside the hotel wall being waited upon by Dipendra et al who goes home to a corrugated iron house! I have huge admiration for those workers who can remain polite, hold their counsel, not be tempted to steal etc in those circumstances particularly when they see waste and there families have barely enough to eat or if they have, a huge % of their incomes goes on food shopping alone! You are you, I am I and Dipendra is Dipendra purely by accidents of birth!

They act so professionally - is that nurture or nature?
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
December 18 - A-ROSA Aqua - Cologne - Mannheim - Kehl (Strasbourg) - Mainz - Cologne
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

The Ganges Sue Perkins

Postby Borneo » 28 Oct 2017 15:37

I know about the haves and have nots. I was thinking more of, if one part ( I know it's a big country) is so eco friendly why not all, why cant the ones in squalor have an Eco life .
I'm sure you'll have an answer Tom !!
Borneo
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

The Ganges Sue Perkins

Postby tomvet » 28 Oct 2017 16:23

Borneo wrote:I know about the haves and have nots. I was thinking more of, if one part ( I know it's a big country) is so eco friendly why not all, why cant the ones in squalor have an Eco life .
I'm sure you'll have an answer Tom !!

Any entity that uses Eco friendly as a marketing ploy is either only more eco friendly than the worst entity that's down the road, is telling lies of being ecofriendly saves them dosh so they are only in it for themselves.

I stayed in a Holiday Inn in USA and there were signs all over about reusing towels to save water (and the hotel money in costs and staff - I assume water in the Nevada desert is expensive) and the environment yet the delf for the breakfast was all polystyrene that you put in the binyour self (I assume landfill costs in the Nevada desert are low and no staff cost to do the wash up).

So ecofriendly in the bathrooms and not so in the dining room and we are talking about a hotel not a country the size of India!
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
December 18 - A-ROSA Aqua - Cologne - Mannheim - Kehl (Strasbourg) - Mainz - Cologne
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Re: The Ganges Sue Perkins

Postby rdw123 » 29 Oct 2017 08:32

India is India. It can be a huge culture shock but also has a charm about it. Most things don’t seem to work quite as they should, it’s make do and mend because there is little money for most people. There is PLENTY of rubbish and other unsavoury things littering the streets and the smell can sometimes be overpowering but its a place you need to visit at least once. Take a big helping of patience and keep your sense of humour at all times. A liberal application of fake tan before you go helps you to blend in when you first get there, you don’t get hassled quite so much! Leave your jewellery, expensive watches and clothes at home. We travelled by ourselves from Trivandrum to snooty Ooty by train. A great trip. Enjoy.
rdw123
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

The Ganges Sue Perkins

Postby avidcruiser » 29 Oct 2017 23:24

Borneo wrote:Has anyone watched Sue Perkins and the Ganges. :o I know you get a culture shock when you go to India but !!! It has to be the worse ever.
We are going to Kerala November 2018 I've been googling and trip advisor and it says it's very eco friendly and not only have their own spice garden but vegetables also, they (hotels ) produce their own electric and desilanated water, and say it's like heaven. Here's hoping .

I am also watching this series. Yes, India is a culture shock, and not for the faint hearted BuT, if the only region that you are visiting is Kerala, then you won't have the extremes of other areas. Kerala is a quite a mild introduction to this fascinating sub continent. Go with an open mind and enjoy the experience, for that is what it is..............an experience that you will never forget.
All my posts and photos are COPYRIGHTED!!

"I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me!"
KEEP CALM AND CRUISE ON

avidcruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Wales

The Ganges Sue Perkins

Postby Borneo » 30 Oct 2017 08:29

I'm really looking forward to it. Pleased about the Eco friendly but also the spiritual side which I believe is part of the holiday in Kerala.
We have done holidays where there's poverty parts of Africa, Gambia. We also lived and worked in Nigeria for two years, I'll say no more about that.
Thanks all for your input.
Julia
Borneo
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Return to ...about something else.