Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Word posters, can you post something cruise related too?

Word posters, can you post something cruise related too?

An area for quizzes, games and chat.

Re: Word posters, can you post something cruise related too?

Postby Carwalsick » 17 Feb 2018 17:06

Dave wrote:
Carwalsick wrote:Accused recently by Gill of being a "Miserable old ***", let me just say that I have no problems with ancillary threads but maybe when, like Ban Me, they become largely a dialogue, politely put I hope, between two participants , they could be buried with due ceremony. I enjoy many of Gill's contributions but, frankly, when looking under Unread one can be inundated with posts from Marrob and herself. I do participate in various areas.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

Perhaps I can offer a solution...

These are the options for keeping abreast of recent posts:
View unanswered posts • View unread posts • View new posts • View active topics

Posts from word games (inc. Ban Me) do not appear in or affect the 'View active topics' list. This list indicates whether a topic has unread posts because the topic icon is red if there are unread posts, and blue if there aren't any. 'View active topics' is the only list I ever use because it provides everything I need to know.

I hope that helps.
Thanks Dave. This seems to work from my pc but not from my tablet when using Tapatalk.

September 2018 Saga Sapphire Nova Scotia and St Lawrence in the Fall
November 2019 Spirit of Discovery Spanish Islands of The Atlantic
April 2020 Saga Sapphire Coast to Coast
Carwalsick
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 17 Feb 2018 18:08

Carwalsick wrote:
Dave wrote:
Carwalsick wrote:Accused recently by Gill of being a "Miserable old ***", let me just say that I have no problems with ancillary threads but maybe when, like Ban Me, they become largely a dialogue, politely put I hope, between two participants , they could be buried with due ceremony. I enjoy many of Gill's contributions but, frankly, when looking under Unread one can be inundated with posts from Marrob and herself. I do participate in various areas.

Posts from word games (inc. Ban Me) do not appear in or affect the 'View active topics' list. This list indicates whether a topic has unread posts because the topic icon is red if there are unread posts, and blue if there aren't any. 'View active topics' is the only list I ever use because it provides everything I need to know.

I hope that helps.
Thanks Dave. This seems to work from my pc but not from my tablet when using Tapatalk.

Yes, I'm afraid the situation with Tapatalk is a bit different. Whereas I'm able to modify the way the forum works when viewed in a browser, Tapatalk is a proprietary app that I 'allow' to access the forum. However, having done that, I'm afraid I have very little control over how the app itself works. I could block Tapatalk's access to word games (which would prevent new posts appearing on the lists) but that wouldn't be very popular with those who use Tapatalk to play the games. ;)
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Carwalsick » 17 Feb 2018 18:39

Dave wrote:
Carwalsick wrote:
Dave wrote:[quote="Carwalsick"]Accused recently by Gill of being a "Miserable old ***", let me just say that I have no problems with ancillary threads but maybe when, like Ban Me, they become largely a dialogue, politely put I hope, between two participants , they could be buried with due ceremony. I enjoy many of Gill's contributions but, frankly, when looking under Unread one can be inundated with posts from Marrob and herself. I do participate in various areas.

I hope that helps.

Yes, I'm afraid the situation with Tapatalk is a bit different. Whereas I'm able to modify the way the forum works when viewed in a browser, Tapatalk is a proprietary app that I 'allow' to access the forum. However, having done that, I'm afraid I have very little control over how the app itself works. I could block Tapatalk's access to word games (which would prevent new posts appearing on the lists) but that wouldn't be very popular with those who use Tapatalk to play the games. ;)[/quote]No problem I will work with what is available. Thanks for your advice.

Sent from my VFD 610 using Tapatalk
Carwalsick
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby khkate » 17 Feb 2018 19:06

When I first joined the forum, I did the word games a lot - now I never do them. I prefer the cruise-related items and post when its appropriate - but do visit daily to catch up , often without logging in.

My understanding was that some time ago, access to the games section was not available to new members until they had made a certain number of posts elsewhere. If this ruling has now been removed, it might be worth reinstating it and setting the limit as 20 posts or something. That will reinforce the fact that the cruise related topics are the main priority.
Future Cruises - Baltics, Canaries Canada, Med, Scandinavia
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Carwalsick » 17 Feb 2018 21:28

Let's just accept that some have a lower boredom threshold than others. I'm happy to take on board Dave's pointers and benefit from the useful bits of the forum.

Sent from my VFD 610 using Tapatalk
Carwalsick
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 18 Feb 2018 00:19

khkate wrote:When I first joined the forum, I did the word games a lot - now I never do them. I prefer the cruise-related items and post when its appropriate - but do visit daily to catch up , often without logging in.

My understanding was that some time ago, access to the games section was not available to new members until they had made a certain number of posts elsewhere. If this ruling has now been removed, it might be worth reinstating it and setting the limit as 20 posts or something. That will reinforce the fact that the cruise related topics are the main priority.

Nothing has changed. A member won't see word games at all unless their username has been 'emboldened' (and neither do guests). A member has their username emboldened when and if they've made a meaningful contribution to the forum (it's quality and not necessarily number of post that matters!).
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Previous