Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Is everybody caught up in Christmas prep?

Is everybody caught up in Christmas prep?

If you can't decide where a new topic should go, then put it here.

Postby Camela » 05 Dec 2018 13:35

A bit quiet here at the moment so I assume folks are either away or mainly doing other things. As some members know I am pretty "Bah humbug" at this time of year, though having GC does help focus the mind. We are going to 3 year old's nativity next week followed by the 'big school' Christmas Fayre. It was nice to be roped in for contributions so I've been madly knitting mini pudding covers for Ferrero Rocher chocs, all nicely bagged in cellophane and tied with ribbon and a painted wooden Christmas label. I will also bake all natural dog treats which DIL reckons will go well as one of the PTFA members said she'll buy the lot!
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
England

Postby judgegeoff » 05 Dec 2018 15:15

I am also feeling a bit "Bah Humbug" at the moment as we seem to be the only people in our little close that haven't got the Christmas decorations up yet - the house opposite us is lit up like a miniature Disneyland (and it is owned by two very elderly ladies!). The nearby High Street shops all have their Christmas window displays and the local hostelries all have festive menus. But I think that it is all far too early, some decorations went up in late November and will no doubt remain until the end of January! Christmas, for me, has always been a magical time, but by starting it too early, it somehow seems to dilute the whole thing.

I did however do all my Christmas shopping early and it is stacked up in a spare bedroom waiting to be wrapped and tagged. I have only one more gift to buy (for our 19 year old granddaughter who is recovering from surgery). A few weeks ago she was run over in Manchester by a 'hit and run' driver and had to have metal plates fitted in her ankle and has been off her feet recovering ever since. There was no CCTV in the area and the only clue the police have is "a posh looking silver car", so we are not holding our breath for an arrest. Fortunately an off duty paramedic was passing and was able to give her first aid until the ambulance arrived.

The cupboards in our kitchen are bulging with Christmas fare and a turkey crown is in the freezer. On the 23rd December I will be collecting a joint of well aged beef from our excellent local butcher and we will be having that (with the turkey crown) on Christmas Day. Our youngest daughter and her husband will be spending the day with us and possibly our son if he is not working. A few years ago he was working Christmas morning before coming down to us in Kent for Christmas lunch (usually mid afternoon!). He had to cross Tower Bridge to visit a patient, which he does frequently, but normally he crosses it at a very slow speed because of the traffic. On Christmas Day there was no traffic and he went across it at 26 mph, not thinking about the 20 mph speed limit and was duly summoned for speeding. He was also warned that he could have been charged with 'endangering a public monument'!!!! Ho ho ho.

I love Christmas, but not for a quarter of the year!
Geoff

Cruises Booked

Nothing yet but looking.
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Is everybody caught up in Christmas prep?

Postby Meg50 » 05 Dec 2018 16:28

decorations seem to be up very early in houses this year. Ours won't go up til the end of next week - 12days either side.

The presie shopping is pretty much complete - apart from OH - I bought his and then he came home from the church Christmas market clutching a book saying - "This is just what I wanted so bought it..." Trouble was I had a copy of the same thing in the presie drawer for him! Luckily it was raffle suitable , so it went to a lunch with us today - and was snapped up quickly
Meg
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Mungo » 06 Dec 2018 12:10

At school we have already had our Christmas dinner. Today is the Christmas Carol Service and tomorrow Early Years’ Nativity.

At home the advent calendar is up and cards have already started to arrive. I have bought my cards but as yet need to write them. A few gifts bought but they need wrapping and the wrapping paper still needs to be bought although do have tags. :lol:

My son is flying home from Bangkok for Christmas on the 21st. It will be good to have him home....as he hasn’t been able to get back the last 3 years. Going to be a difficult time as the first one without mum. No home made Christmas cake, pudding or trifle. :cry:

Geoff.....best wishes to your granddaughter. Hope whoever did this suffers a guilty conscience for ever more. :evil:
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Camela » 08 Dec 2018 19:06

Sorry to hear about your granddaughter. To me everyone seems so vulnerable these days. I wish her well as Mr P (considerably older!!) took a while to recover from ankle fracture. It made us and family realise how much you depend on mobility.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
England

Postby judgegeoff » 08 Dec 2018 19:53

Camela wrote:Sorry to hear about your granddaughter. To me everyone seems so vulnerable these days. I wish her well as Mr P (considerably older!!) took a while to recover from ankle fracture. It made us and family realise how much you depend on mobility.

Many thanks for your good wishes Camela. Cassie is recovering very well now, she has had the sutures/staples removed and is no longer needing any morphine or other painkillers. She has a hospital appointment on the 14th December after which, if all is well, she will be able to start putting weight on that foot. She is getting a little fed up of watching TV and is looking forward to restarting work in the near future. She has two very good housemates, one of whom works evenings, so is being well looked after.

Fortunately the incident happened in an urban area with plenty of people around - one passer-by was an off duty paramedic and the ambulance arrived in just 9 minutes - it could have been a very different story if it had happened in a quiet rural area. 'Hit and run' is, in my opinion, a particularly horrible crime because the driver has no idea if the victim is badly injured or not and not rendering them aid could result in a fatality or serious disability.

Although a very horrible incident, it could have been a lot worse and our family can now all look forward to a very happy and thankful festive season.
Geoff

Cruises Booked

Nothing yet but looking.
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom