Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Mini Fridges in Staterooms

Mini Fridges in Staterooms

Postby Marrob 33 » 06 Apr 2018 16:17

Does anyone know if ,for some reason, mini fridges will no longer be in the staterooms?
When we were on spirit some months ago, we found non-alcoholic drinks were on the top of the drawers, but there was no fridge. I needed to store some eyedrops that I used before bed each night (they help to keep eye pressure at a low level).

Reception told us there were no fridges in any rooms, but we could keep the drops in a fridge in Reception. the alternative option was to arrange for the room steward to fill our icebox twice daily. It wasn't really successful,as the cubes melted quickly, and the water was tepid. By the last day of our weeks cruise,the drops were almost impossible to drip from the bottle.

when we docked at Limassol we transferred to our hotel in Paphos, and there was a pharmacy opposite. The lady read my prescription and produced some identical drops,saying they had been very expensive, but had recently dropped from 31 to 11 euros. she also said they did not need to be kept in a fridge, though i did keep them in the fridge in our room.

We've just found out that Marco Polo does not have fridges, but there is limited space that can be requested in the Medical Cantre. Are other cruise lines following suit?
Marrob 33
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Mini Fridges in Staterooms

Postby rdw123 » 07 Apr 2018 06:50

I have only travelled on Fred Olsen, once, and Saga several times. I have always had a mini fridge and thought that that was something most lines provided.
rdw123
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby judgegeoff » 07 Apr 2018 08:56

The availability of fridges within cabins changes from cruise line to cruise line and even from ship to ship within a line, but on most if not all ships without cabin fridges there is usually some arrangement for storing medications that require chilling. However, if you do have such medications I would advise you to check with the cruise line in advance to ensure that they are aware of your requirements.
Geoff

Cruises Booked

Nothing yet but looking.
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 07 Apr 2018 08:59

I have travelled with Thomson, Princess, Cunard, HAL, RCI, VoD, Costa, MSC, Celebrity and P&O and there was always a mini fridge provided. Would have thought one was essential, especially in hot climates. I'm sure you are not the only one who requires one for certain medications.
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Re: Mini Fridges in Staterooms

Postby Peka » 16 Apr 2018 09:03

It definitely varies between ships and often between grades of cabins. In steerage we don't usually have a fridge. I did on Princess but I only used it once to put some ice cream in it :think: to make a milkshake later :lol:

I understand from looking at Fred.Olsens website after the recent renos on all the ships all cabins now have a fridge. I remember when we were on Boudicca a few years ago there wasn't a fridge but with a medical condition on our booking a mini fridge (the little ones that you can buy in Argos and fit a pint of milk!) was provided on and placed on the desk. I don't remember this happening on Marco Polo though. :(

The following grades have fridges:
De Luxe Ocean View
Junior Ocean View
De Luxe Suite Ocean View
Peka

Booked: Adriatic 2019 / Black Watch

Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
Iceland