Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Visas for China

Visas for China

Re: Visas for China

Postby Camela » 19 Jul 2018 17:15

I will put Star Visas in my 'potentially useful travel info file' Geoff! I have noted a cruise next year that includes Japan and Taipei and ends in Shanghai so may need one sooner rather than later.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
England

Postby judgegeoff » 19 Jul 2018 19:09

Camela wrote:I will put Star Visas in my 'potentially useful travel info file' Geoff! I have noted a cruise next year that includes Japan and Taipei and ends in Shanghai so may need one sooner rather than later.

If you are just in transit from Shanghai port to the airport at the end of a cruise, without a stay in China, I am not sure if you would need a visa - it is something that perhaps you should check out.

'Star Visa Services' were very efficient and seemed to be a little cheaper than other agents I looked up. However, our 6 days in China are costing us £422 for two Chinese visa fees alone, so I am not sure that I would have booked this cruise had I been aware how much visa fees were. We could have reduced the costs to £302 (the actual visa costs without the agent's fees), but considered that the difference would have been more than eaten up by the cost of two trips to London. Once the Chinese get up and running with their fingerprinting you WILL have to go to London (or a different Chinese Consulate such as in Manchester or Edinburgh) to provide them. At the moment they are issuing 2 year multiple entry visas to all approved UK applicants. If we really enjoy our time in Beijing and Shanghai we might decide to return to China for another holiday before our 2 year visas expire.

Sadly, the days of going around the world with just a pocket full of gold sovereigns are long gone!
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Visas for China

Postby tomvet » 19 Jul 2018 19:14

judgegeoff wrote:
One thing we found that was of note - Tourist Visa costs for UK and USA citizens are considerably more than other Countries!

Proper order too! Looks like its not just the EU that is socking it on. Pee enough countries off and they'll have the last larf.
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
December 18 - A-ROSA Aqua - Cologne - Mannheim - Kehl (Strasbourg) - Mainz - Cologne
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Visas for China

Postby Wanderingsascent » 22 Aug 2018 15:03

They have introduced TWOV transit without visa, this should cover my flight to Shanghai, one night and then boarding ship to another country. Anyone else travelled with this visa? Chris
Wanderingsascent

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Camela » 22 Aug 2018 22:04

Worth investigating as I've seen an Asian cruise that ends in Shanghai but I don't want the hassle of a China visa. Thanks
Camela
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
England

Postby judgegeoff » 24 Aug 2018 21:59

Camela wrote:Worth investigating as I've seen an Asian cruise that ends in Shanghai but I don't want the hassle of a China visa. Thanks

Hi Camela, I received the following email from Royal Caribbean today which might be of interest to you :-

"Dear Guest,
With your China cruise quickly approaching, before you get into vacation mode, we’d like to provide you with important information regarding the required documents for your visit. Please be sure to review the below, as it will make your boarding process as smooth as possible.

Travel Tips for China:

When visiting select Chinese ports, there is a 144-hour visa-free policy for international guests. This means some passengers may visit one of two regions for a maximum of 144 hours (6 days) without obtaining a visa. If you plan to visit Shanghai, Jiangsu, and Zhejiang, and then go to either Beijing, Tianjin, and/or Hebei, you’ll be required to obtain a visa.
Guests who require a visa should visit [www.visacentral.com]www.visacentral.com, or a visa service provide of your choice, to obtain the required documents.
Securing the right travel documentation is very important. We want to ensure you enjoy your vacation and that nothing gets in the way! Guests who are not on the list of exceptions and do not have the proper documentation will unfortunately be denied boarding."
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Wanderingsascent » 25 Aug 2018 19:23

I contacted the Chinese embassy and air France but could not get a concrete answer about the visa, just it is up to me to ensure I have the right documentation and visa if necessary.A lot of money to spend if not necessary, but a lot to lose if denied boarding plane or ship!
Wanderingsascent

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Camela » 25 Aug 2018 20:50

Many thanks Geoff. This will be useful if I do book cruise including China.
Camela
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
England

Previous