Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Why do photos uploaded from iPads sometimes appear upside down in posts?

Why do photos uploaded from iPads sometimes appear upside down in posts?

Postby Dave » 22 Oct 2015 13:54

If you use an iPad to make forum posts with photos you might have found that your photos sometimes appear upside down. :?

The screen on an iPad rotates automatically so, if you take a photo with it, the photo will always appear the right way up. You might think that the iPad itself doesn't actually have a right way up, but it does. I rarely use my iPad, but a quick test showed it was the right way up when the button was on the right.

When you take a photo with an iPad, the orientation information is stored with the photo. If the photo is 'upside down', the iPad leaves it like that rather than rotate it though 180 degrees because there would be a short delay before it could take another photo. It only corrects the orientation when the photo is displayed, but this correction only occurs on Apple devices.

When a non-Apple operating system (such as the OS the forum uses) displays the iPad's photo it ignores the orientation information. Therefore, the photo might appear upside down.

So it's basically a compatibility thing. Apple would like other companies to use the orientation information, whereas Microsoft and the rest don't see it as their problem!
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Borneo » 22 Oct 2015 14:00

Ok , which button the one on the front screen or the one on oposit side to turn off ?? :D
Borneo
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 22 Oct 2015 14:04

Borneo wrote:Ok , which button the one on the front screen or the one on oposit side to turn off ?? :D

The circular, slightly concave one on the front surface with an icon of a rounded square. I've only got the one iPad, so I don't know if that applies to all versions! ;)
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Borneo » 22 Oct 2015 14:07

Haven't got a thumbs up , ;)
Borneo
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Tiggy » 22 Oct 2015 14:51

Dave wrote:If you use an iPad to make forum posts with photos you might have found that your photos sometimes appear upside down. :?

The screen on an iPad rotates automatically so, if you take a photo with it, the photo will always appear the right way up. You might think that the iPad itself doesn't actually have a right way up, but it does. I rarely use my iPad, but a quick test showed it was the right way up when the button was on the right.

When you take a photo with an iPad, the orientation information is stored with the photo. If the photo is 'upside down', the iPad leaves it like that rather than rotate it though 180 degrees because there would be a short delay before it could take another photo. It only corrects the orientation when the photo is displayed, but this correction only occurs on Apple devices.

When a non-Apple operating system (such as the OS the forum uses) displays the iPad's photo it ignores the orientation information. Therefore, the photo might appear upside down.

So it's basically a compatibility thing. Apple would like other companies to use the orientation information, whereas Microsoft and the rest don't see it as their problem!

Dave, the button on mine is always to the left, as I would not be able to use the iPad cover properly :o It is a magnetic cover which closes the device down when closed and is attached magnetically to the long side without the volume buttons.
Do you know what I mean?
My photo has come out okay... ;)
Tiggy
Tiggy
Chief Purrser
Chief Purrser

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby octocruiser » 22 Oct 2015 15:04

Tiggy wrote:
Dave wrote:If you use an iPad to make forum posts with photos you might have found that your photos sometimes appear upside down. :?

Dave, the button on mine is always to the left, as I would not be able to use the iPad cover properly :o It is a magnetic cover which closes the device down when closed and is attached magnetically to the long side without the volume buttons.
Do you know what I mean?
My photo has come out okay... ;)

I was about to comment that if I want to take a landscape orientared photo I have to turn my iPad that way otherwise the cover would be in the way . I normally use it with the button on the left. I notice that if I rotate the screen to take a portrait orientation the iPad correct it, but it doesn't fill the screen . It only appears in full if you rotate the screen to view it.
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby octocruiser » 22 Oct 2015 15:10

image.jpeg

Hmm! Well not like that !

When viewed in the camera roll the pic was upright with wide black borders either side . When I uploaded it it came out on its side. :roll: :?:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Re: Why do photos uploaded from iPads sometimes appear upside down in posts?

Postby dst87 » 22 Oct 2015 16:53

Bit cheeky Dave to imply that this is an Apple thing.

This is a standard EXIF tag that is used by many modern cameras too, including DSLRs. Most modern web services WILL support rotation.

This is something that web services and photo management software SHOULD support, and many of them do.
Duncan S

Upcoming cruises:
09/16 - MSC Splendida (Northern Europe)

Previous cruises: See my blog!
dst87
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby tobysgranny » 22 Oct 2015 17:18

I use my ipad with the button on the left (my husband and daughter use the button on the right). Unfortunately it's what I am used to now after 4 years. As you know occasionally my pictures appear upside down. However to resolve this problem you can always stand on your head to view them. :D :D :D

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: Why do photos uploaded from iPads sometimes appear upside down in posts?

Postby Dave » 22 Oct 2015 17:52

dst87 wrote:Bit cheeky Dave to imply that this is an Apple thing.

This is a standard EXIF tag that is used by many modern cameras too, including DSLRs. Most modern web services WILL support rotation.

This is something that web services and photo management software SHOULD support, and many of them do.

I'll never miss a chance to mention Apple's shortcomings Duncan. :lol: Actually, while I think about it... would you mind explaining how to change an iPad's camera resolution? Some members find that our 4Mb attachment limit is too low, so I'd like to tell them how to lower the resolution. Thanks!

(It's good to know that many cameras know which way up they are! ;) )
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Next