Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Why do photos uploaded from iPads sometimes appear upside down in posts?

Why do photos uploaded from iPads sometimes appear upside down in posts?

Re: Why do photos uploaded from iPads sometimes appear upside down in posts?

Postby dst87 » 22 Oct 2015 18:11

Dave wrote:
dst87 wrote:Bit cheeky Dave to imply that this is an Apple thing.

This is a standard EXIF tag that is used by many modern cameras too, including DSLRs. Most modern web services WILL support rotation.

This is something that web services and photo management software SHOULD support, and many of them do.

I'll never miss a chance to mention Apple's shortcomings Duncan. :lol: Actually, while I think about it... would you mind explaining how to change an iPad's camera resolution? Some members find that our 4Mb attachment limit is too low, so I'd like to tell them how to lower the resolution. Thanks!

(It's good to know that many cameras know which way up they are! ;) )

You can use a third party app to resize photos before uploading them, but it's not something I ever do so I can't recommend a specific app I'm afraid!

You cannot lower the resolution the photos are taken at, so a third party app would be the best route to go. Why limit the size? Why not just allow files up to 20MB to be uploaded and resize them server side? Then it requires no additional difficulty for end users?

Actually I can't see any nice looking simple photo re-sizer on the App Store - just a bunch of horrendous things. Tempted to make one!
Duncan S

Upcoming cruises:
09/16 - MSC Splendida (Northern Europe)

Previous cruises: See my blog!
dst87
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Dave » 22 Oct 2015 21:09

dst87 wrote:
Dave wrote:I'll never miss a chance to mention Apple's shortcomings Duncan. :lol: Actually, while I think about it... would you mind explaining how to change an iPad's camera resolution? Some members find that our 4Mb attachment limit is too low, so I'd like to tell them how to lower the resolution. Thanks!

You can use a third party app to resize photos before uploading them, but it's not something I ever do so I can't recommend a specific app I'm afraid!

You cannot lower the resolution the photos are taken at, so a third party app would be the best route to go. Why limit the size? Why not just allow files up to 20MB to be uploaded and resize them server side? Then it requires no additional difficulty for end users?

Actually I can't see any nice looking simple photo re-sizer on the App Store - just a bunch of horrendous things. Tempted to make one!

I agree that a third-party app is an effective solution. I use the excellent Photo Resizer app on my Android phone before uploading photos to my blog posts with Tapatalk. Although the photos are hosted by Tapatalk, which resizes them before they appear in posts, I resize them anyway to make the upload faster. However... and it's a big however, I'm trying to help members who struggle with such things, which is why I've suggested they use the attachment method.

Why limit the upload size? And why not get the server to do the resizing? Two reasons: I would need to spend time and effort to make that happen, and I'd rather help members learn how to work effectively with images. The bottom line is that installing an app and using it to resize photos requires far less work than what you suggest! But having said that, if you know of a resizing system that would work on the CentOS Linux host server then please let me know. :)

Better still is your idea of creating an app for iPads. :D
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby dst87 » 22 Oct 2015 21:18

Dave wrote:
dst87 wrote:
Dave wrote:I'll never miss a chance to mention Apple's shortcomings Duncan. :lol: Actually, while I think about it... would you mind explaining how to change an iPad's camera resolution? Some members find that our 4Mb attachment limit is too low, so I'd like to tell them how to lower the resolution. Thanks!

I agree that a third-party app is an effective solution. I use the excellent Photo Resizer app on my Android phone before uploading photos to my blog posts with Tapatalk. Although the photos are hosted by Tapatalk, which resizes them before they appear in posts, I resize them anyway to make the upload faster. However... and it's a big however, I'm trying to help members who struggle with such things, which is why I've suggested they use the attachment method.

Why limit the upload size? And why not get the server to do the resizing? Two reasons: I would need to spend time and effort to make that happen, and I'd rather help members learn how to work effectively with images. The bottom line is that installing an app and using it to resize photos requires far less work than what you suggest! But having said that, if you know of a resizing system that would work on the CentOS Linux host server then please let me know. :)

Better still is your idea of creating an app for iPads. :D

I would imagine you'd do it with PHP as part of the upload process ideally, but unless there's some sort of plugin for the forum software to allow that it's probably not worth the hacking about!
Duncan S

Upcoming cruises:
09/16 - MSC Splendida (Northern Europe)

Previous cruises: See my blog!
dst87
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby tobysgranny » 22 Oct 2015 21:51

All too technical for me boys! I'll carry on using Tapatalk!

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Dave » 23 Oct 2015 18:20

I'm really replying to Duncan's posts, but others might find this of interest...

Hi Duncan

There are times when I realise I've completely missed something! :oops:

I installed a resizing system years ago called ReIMG which does exactly what you suggest - I have it set to resize large images to a width of 800px to fit the forum layout.

The problem is that I'd set the maximum size for an image displayed with IMG tags to 1920 x 1200 pixels (the resolution of my monitor!). So the forum was rejecting larger images even though ReIMG would happily resize them. Duh! :roll:

So I've removed the size limit on images posted using IMG tags. :)

(However, I've kept the limits on attachments (4MB) and gallery images (2MB) because they're stored on the server which has limited disk space. With around 10,000 images in the gallery and more being uploaded all the time I need to ration the space we use.)
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Tiggy » 23 Oct 2015 18:35

Dave wrote:I'm really replying to Duncan's posts, but others might find this of interest...

Hi Duncan

There are times when I realise I've completely missed something! :oops:

I installed a resizing system years ago called ReIMG which does exactly what you suggest - I have it set to resize large images to a width of 800px to fit the forum layout.

The problem is that I'd set the maximum size for an image displayed with IMG tags to 1920 x 1200 pixels (the resolution of my monitor!). So the forum was rejecting larger images even though ReIMG would happily resize them. Duh! :roll:

So I've removed the size limit on images posted using IMG tags. :)

(However, I've kept the limits on attachments (4MB) and gallery images (2MB) because they're stored on the server which has limited disk space. With around 10,000 images in the gallery and more being uploaded all the time I need to ration the space we use.)

I was just going to say that....... :lol:
Tiggy
Tiggy
Chief Purrser
Chief Purrser

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby avidcruiser » 23 Oct 2015 20:11

:o :roll: :D :D :D
All my posts and photos are COPYRIGHTED!!

"I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me!"
KEEP CALM AND CRUISE ON

avidcruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Wales

Postby Tiggy » 18 Nov 2015 09:03

Dave wrote:If you use an iPad to make forum posts with photos you might have found that your photos sometimes appear upside down. :?

The screen on an iPad rotates automatically so, if you take a photo with it, the photo will always appear the right way up. You might think that the iPad itself doesn't actually have a right way up, but it does. I rarely use my iPad, but a quick test showed it was the right way up when the button was on the right.

When you take a photo with an iPad, the orientation information is stored with the photo. If the photo is 'upside down', the iPad leaves it like that rather than rotate it though 180 degrees because there would be a short delay before it could take another photo. It only corrects the orientation when the photo is displayed, but this correction only occurs on Apple devices.

When a non-Apple operating system (such as the OS the forum uses) displays the iPad's photo it ignores the orientation information. Therefore, the photo might appear upside down.

So it's basically a compatibility thing. Apple would like other companies to use the orientation information, whereas Microsoft and the rest don't see it as their problem!

Dave, my photo of my birthday cake appeared up side down - what is the solution?
I realize that the photos I have posted on here from my iPad have been downloaded from Photobucket and stored on the iPad so I assume that is why they are the right way up..... :o
Can't you help?
Tiggy
Tiggy
Chief Purrser
Chief Purrser

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Dave » 18 Nov 2015 15:18

Tiggy wrote:Dave, my photo of my birthday cake appeared up side down - what is the solution?
I realize that the photos I have posted on here from my iPad have been downloaded from Photobucket and stored on the iPad so I assume that is why they are the right way up..... :o
Can't you help?

I wish I had a simple answer. :(

The problem for me is that I'm not an iPad user. (I have a hand-me-down but I rarely use it.) I believe that the best solution would be for you to install an app on your iPad that can rotate / flip photos, but I'm afraid that I can't recommend any.

However, we do have a number of iPad users on the forum who should be able to help...
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tobysgranny » 18 Nov 2015 18:07

It's funny but occasionally my photos sent from my ipad via tapatalk appear upside down and other times, like out cabin pictures on QV are the corect way up. I always use the ipad on hoizontal position with the on/off button on the right.

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Previous