Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Error message

Error message

Error message

Postby tomvet » 02 Nov 2015 18:08

octocruiser wrote:
tomvet wrote:
octocruiser wrote:Thanks Dave
I am keeping my fingers crossed and will remember to check more thoroughly for spaces in future. :roll:

At least it helps if you have a specific clue as to what to look out for.

Despite it saying 'too few ' characters I spent a lot of time yesterday editing and re - editing that post omitting first one link and then another, also carefully checking out the quote sequence , etc until I finally lost both the post and the will to live :roll: .

That's what you get for trying to correct Tom's misapprehensions, bless his cotton socks :roll:

Oi! Don't make your problems, mine! :roll: :roll:

Perhaps you needed sugar in your AT!

:roll: :roll:

You don't have to take the problem - just be a man and take the blame :lol: :lol:
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
December 18 - A-ROSA Aqua - Cologne - Mannheim - Kehl (Strasbourg) - Mainz - Cologne
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Error message

Postby grannyM » 02 Nov 2015 18:14

octocruiser wrote:
grannyM wrote:Kath, I sometimes used to get that when I was making and loading jigsaws. I couldn't understand it at first because I knew I did have enough characters but now I know that I have either omitted a bracket or left a space before or after a bracket when I am editing the URL link with ExtURL buttons. Now when I get the message, either in a draft or a post I'm trying to submit, I know exactly why and use the back button to find the text before it is lost. It can happen with any of the BBCode buttons if there is any space between the brackets and the link information.

Obviously I don't know if that is what has been happening with you but it definitely something you could check on what you are trying to post. :)

Thank you for that, Marie. I have just successfully reposted my message from this morning on the Cemeteries thread .

I first posted without attempting to use Ext URL buttons and then went in and added them by editing. I have noticed that often when you use the Ext URL buttons the tail URL brackets jump down to the next line, even if there is space for them on the same line.

Thanks to your specific advice about not leaving any space between brackets I paid special attention to making sure that there were no gaps when I backspaced them.

I did have several URL links in the post I failed with yesterday and possibly missed a space somewhere .

Cheers Kath

You are very welcome Kath. When it was happening to me I was very frustrated so I knew exactly how you were feeling. At the time I'm sure someone, perhaps Dave or Peka, I'm not sure, suggested what I described to you and so I really cannot take the credit. You may not have been doing the same as I had but always glad to share a suggestion if nothing else. :D
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Error message

Postby Peka » 02 Nov 2015 19:50

grannyM wrote:
octocruiser wrote:
grannyM wrote:Kath, I sometimes used to get that when I was making and loading jigsaws. I couldn't understand it at first because I knew I did have enough characters but now I know that I have either omitted a bracket or left a space before or after a bracket when I am editing the URL link with ExtURL buttons. Now when I get the message, either in a draft or a post I'm trying to submit, I know exactly why and use the back button to find the text before it is lost. It can happen with any of the BBCode buttons if there is any space between the brackets and the link information.

Obviously I don't know if that is what has been happening with you but it definitely something you could check on what you are trying to post. :)

Thank you for that, Marie. I have just successfully reposted my message from this morning on the Cemeteries thread .

I first posted without attempting to use Ext URL buttons and then went in and added them by editing. I have noticed that often when you use the Ext URL buttons the tail URL brackets jump down to the next line, even if there is space for them on the same line.

Thanks to your specific advice about not leaving any space between brackets I paid special attention to making sure that there were no gaps when I backspaced them.

I did have several URL links in the post I failed with yesterday and possibly missed a space somewhere .

Cheers Kath

You are very welcome Kath. When it was happening to me I was very frustrated so I knew exactly how you were feeling. At the time I'm sure someone, perhaps Dave or Peka, I'm not sure, suggested what I described to you and so I really cannot take the credit. You may not have been doing the same as I had but always glad to share a suggestion if nothing else. :D

'Ere, wot am I getting the blame for this time? ;)

Yes I did have this problem myself, but I can't remember if I figured out the problem or just commented on it :think: :oops:, but well done Marie on remembering it as, I hadn't thought of that solution again! :lol:
Peka

Booked: Adriatic 2019 / Black Watch

Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
Iceland

Previous

Return to Techie Q&As