Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - little box pops up

little box pops up

little box pops up

Postby gatwick » 21 Nov 2015 09:55

Hi, quite often when I read things ( like posts on this forum ) I can just press the blue arrow at the top and go back to where I was before. Have noticed that sometimes I get a little box appear from internet explorer asking if I want to leave the page I'm on or stay on the same page. This I find quite annoying as all I want to do is just press the blue arrow and go back without this box appearing. It doesn't happen all the time but it has happened when I was browsing posts on this forum...at the start it was fine to press the blue arrow and next moment the box appeared.
Anyone got an idea why this sometimes happens ?
gatwick
Ensign
Ensign

little box pops up

Postby grannyM » 21 Nov 2015 10:36

Sorry can't help with this gatwick. I don't use IE but no doubt there will be someone who does who can comment. :)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

little box pops up

Postby Dave » 21 Nov 2015 10:59

gatwick wrote:Hi, quite often when I read things ( like posts on this forum ) I can just press the blue arrow at the top and go back to where I was before. Have noticed that sometimes I get a little box appear from internet explorer asking if I want to leave the page I'm on or stay on the same page. This I find quite annoying as all I want to do is just press the blue arrow and go back without this box appearing. It doesn't happen all the time but it has happened when I was browsing posts on this forum...at the start it was fine to press the blue arrow and next moment the box appeared.
Anyone got an idea why this sometimes happens ?

I've not had this happen while browsing this forum, but I think it's something we've all seen somewhere at some time. Having just googled the issue I can see there's a fair amount of discussion about it. The rationale for browsers checking that you really want to leave a page is sound - for example, you might have typed a lot of text which you could lose if you left the page. It can be annoying though, and can happen when you've not actually done anything that needs saving or submitting. Most people seem to report the issue happening unnecessarily (annoyingly!) after a browser update. This might explain why it can appear to just start happening without an obvious reason.

It would be interesting to know whether using a different browser on this site solves the issue. If it does, then the answer might lie in the IE security settings.
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

little box pops up

Postby Borneo » 21 Nov 2015 11:15

I'm no expert, but would using Chrome be better. Had a new computer recently and I was querying why he'd given me chrome instead of Ie and I was told that Internet explorer doesn't work with some of the new things and that it will soon be fazed out.
Borneo
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

little box pops up

Postby octocruiser » 21 Nov 2015 11:52

Borneo wrote:I'm no expert, but would using Chrome be better. Had a new computer recently and I was querying why he'd given me chrome instead of Ie and I was told that Internet explorer doesn't work with some of the new things and that it will soon be fazed out.

Although sometimes when I open a web page in Windows 10 I get a pop-up telling me that I appear to be using Edge, which is the new default browser for W10. It says the page I want does not work fully on Edge and directs me to how to open it in IE :roll:

By the way, I am still getting the pop - up asking me if I want to install Tapatalk when I log into CM on my iPad even though I already have it installed - although it doesn't do it quite so often as it did.

Cheers Kath
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Re: little box pops up

Postby khkate » 21 Nov 2015 19:09

I think that "little box" can pop up anywhere any time whatever browser you use. I use Firefox and it comes up for me sometimes too - not on this forum though. Very frustrating and the whole system seems to get istelf in a knot, but then it goes away and all is calm again.
Future Cruises - Baltics, Canaries Canada, Med, Scandinavia
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Return to Techie Q&As