Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - silverlight don't want it

silverlight don't want it

Postby gatwick » 22 Nov 2015 14:06

I made a big mistake.....on some sites I kept getting a note asking me to add Silverlight
A few days ago I made what I think was an unwise choice and clicked on the install button.
Now I want to get rid and the blooming thing won't let me uninstall it
I go into the programme list....see Silverlight and click on uninstall
But then up comes another box....this one says " User account control "
Do you want to allow the following program to update software on this computer....yes or no
Now what I believe I'm being asked is do I want Silverlight to update ....so I say no
But I get nothing to say the program is uninstalled and when I look at the list of programs it's still there.
Aggggh !
The other thing and the main reason for wanting to uninstall Silverlight is before I downloaded this program
when I start up I always click on the IE symbol to use the google browser as my choice
Now I keep getting MSN UK / Hotmail and I didn't ask for this....only came when I downloaded Silverlight.
gatwick
Ensign
Ensign

Postby grannyM » 22 Nov 2015 14:16

I don't know much about Silverlight gatwick but I do know you will have to say 'yes' to give permission to change any installed programme on your computer. Hopefully in this case it will continue to 'uninstall' the programme. :D
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Skier Pete » 22 Nov 2015 14:18

gatwick wrote:I made a big mistake.....on some sites I kept getting a note asking me to add Silverlight
A few days ago I made what I think was an unwise choice and clicked on the install button.
Now I want to get rid and the blooming thing won't let me uninstall it
I go into the programme list....see Silverlight and click on uninstall
But then up comes another box....this one says " User account control "
Do you want to allow the following program to update software on this computer....yes or no
Now what I believe I'm being asked is do I want Silverlight to update ....so I say no
But I get nothing to say the program is uninstalled and when I look at the list of programs it's still there.
Aggggh !
The other thing and the main reason for wanting to uninstall Silverlight is before I downloaded this program
when I start up I always click on the IE symbol to use the google browser as my choice
Now I keep getting MSN UK / Hotmail and I didn't ask for this....only came when I downloaded Silverlight.

Press your start button then

1) If you go to my computer ( or straight to control panel if it is already showing) on your start button and open it

2) open control panel

3) open programs and features

4) highlight the program you want to uninstall

5) then press uninstall
Skiing comes 1st; Cruising a close 2nd

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
Skier Pete
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby gatwick » 22 Nov 2015 14:38

Thank you grannyM & skier Pete
Skier Pete your instructions are exactly what I did but for some reason it hasn't worked
grannyM if the user account control box comes up....this time I'll try entering yes
Going to try again...be good if I can get rid of silverlight
gatwick
Ensign
Ensign

Postby Skier Pete » 22 Nov 2015 14:58

gatwick wrote:Thank you grannyM & skier Pete
Skier Pete your instructions are exactly what I did but for some reason it hasn't worked
grannyM if the user account control box comes up....this time I'll try entering yes
Going to try again...be good if I can get rid of silverlight

You could go to the my downloads file on your C: drive and delete the download that installed it and then repeat the uninstall process
Skiing comes 1st; Cruising a close 2nd

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
Skier Pete
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Re: silverlight don't want it

Postby khkate » 22 Nov 2015 16:38

Not sure but I think Silverlight is part of the rather essential files to have on your computer if you are operating Windows as it is a file that is installed and updated with the Microsoft updates. It helps manage videos that you view online. You shouldn't be getting MSN up unless you are a Hotmail user - one of the annoying things about that and they haven't yet come up with a way for you to switch that off - when you log out of hotmail, you get the msn browser come up.

However, if the methods all mentioned above. You can download a programme called CCleaner - there is a free version - which is basically used for cleaning up your computer. Once that is installed, go to the TOOLs section and you can uninstall programmes from there (and it does show Silverlight amongst the installed programmes. You can then close the programme and uninstall CCleaner if you like.
Future Cruises - Baltics, Canaries Canada, Med, Scandinavia
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby gatwick » 22 Nov 2015 18:21

At last.. everything back to normal
grannyM your advice of clicking yes was spot on :clap:
skier pete & khkate appreciated your suggestions as well and am looking into using CCleaner for other stuff I don't need.
Thanks all
gatwick
Ensign
Ensign

Postby grannyM » 22 Nov 2015 18:36

gatwick wrote:At last.. everything back to normal
grannyM your advice of clicking yes was spot on :clap:
skier pete & khkate appreciated your suggestions as well and am looking into using CCleaner for other stuff I don't need.
Thanks all

Great, glad to be of help. I use CCleaner regularly and it's free so I can recommend it but it will not uninstall a programme. :)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: silverlight don't want it

Postby jocap » 22 Nov 2015 19:49

My Silverlight was installed by Microsoft in 2012, and I always thought that it was needed for certain programs?
Yes, I agree it can be annoying when it objects to an innocent email, but I just wave the cursor across it and it disappears.
Jo.

19 Cruises; 10 ships; 7 lines; 89 ports
jocap
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby khkate » 23 Nov 2015 15:59

grannyM wrote:I use CCleaner regularly and it's free so I can recommend it but it will not uninstall a programme. :)

Sorry to disagree - but it does do UNINSTALL - and often the only way I can get rid of a programme is to use CCleaner. On the TOOLS section when you are in the UNINSTALL section, it lists all your programmes and then on the right, there are several options - Uninstall, Repair, Rename and Delete. Once I have done any uninstall, I then run the Registry Cleaner part of the programme and that gets rid of any registry entries from the computerthat are now invalid.
Future Cruises - Baltics, Canaries Canada, Med, Scandinavia
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Next