Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Windows 10 (warning!)

Windows 10 (warning!)

Windows 10 (warning!)

Postby Crinklyfox » 27 Nov 2015 06:36

Beware folks.

I'm not the most IT-knowledgeable person on the planet so I tend to be guided by what I consider to be reliable sources, in this case Microsoft.

I have a fairly old PC running Windows 7. For the past couple of months I've been getting a pop-up inviting me to install Windows 10 - for free! The last message said my PC was compatible and that I would have storage areas for my documents and photos. So I finally decided to take the plunge and install - big mistake.

The upgrade downloaded and installed in a trouble-free manner, it took over half an hour and my PC kept re-starting but that wasn't an issue. What was an issue was that all my files and photos had been deleted. To add insult to injury I then received a message that I had been granted a temporary profile, I couldn't create or save files, and that anything I did would be deleted when I logged out. This proved to be the case, I couldn't even save settings in 'My computer'.

So now I have a PC that isn't useful for much. I heartily wish I'd never heard of Windows 10 and am livid with Microsoft for what they have done. All I can do is warn others not to get caught out.
Crinklyfox
Midshipman
Midshipman

Windows 10

Postby Dave » 27 Nov 2015 07:42

Hi Crinklyfox

I sympathise with you over the problems you've had with Windows 10 and I understand why you are angry. I don't think that all is lost though.

There is a very long discussion about the issue you've seen on Microsoft's website HERE. It seems that many others have experienced the same problem as you.

Microsoft gives a solution in the second post, but there are errors in the syntax so it's important to combine it with this contribution on page 5:

1) Activate the built in Administrator Account with net user Administrator /active yes
OR use the user and local groups manager to enable the Administrator account and give a password.
Please note the above line has added a 'A' instead of 'a' in Administrator, and have removed the ':' in /active. This is the common error for most posts above.2) Logout and Login as the Administrator account. This is not explicitly told in the instructions.
3) Run the command prompt as Administrator.
4) type sfc /scannow
5) Wait for completion and reboot, now try and login as original user.

I'm sure that studying this thread will get you sorted.

I don't like to contradict you, but I can't see any reason why your files and photos should have been deleted. A new operating system will be installed to a new folder and your PC will boot to the new OS. The OS will need to scan your PC for files and the fact that none appear to be there now suggests that the scan failed - not that anything was deleted.

A final thought... I understand that it should be possible to roll back from W10 to W7 during the trial period, which I think is a month.
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Windows 10

Postby Crinklyfox » 27 Nov 2015 09:25

Thanks Dave.

I'll ask my younger son to look at this as I'm not very IT-conversant and didn't understand the solution offered by Microsoft. He did have a look previously and couldn't find the files, and he is much more IT-knowledgeable than I. I will also look for info on how to re-activate Windows 7, as right now that would be my preferred course of action.
Crinklyfox
Midshipman
Midshipman

Re: Windows 10

Postby Meg50 » 27 Nov 2015 09:45

would system restore work?
Meg
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Windows 10 (warning!)

Postby Jimmy the One » 27 Nov 2015 11:59

Go into Control Panel there is a facility to Restore Windows 7 in System & Security
Im just a soul whose intentions are good Oh lord please dont let me be misunderstood

Jimmy the One
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: Windows 10 (warning!)

Postby Crinklyfox » 27 Nov 2015 13:01

Thanks Meg50 and Jimmy the One, I've found system restore which is going to be my 'get out of jail' card if all else fails.

Following Dave's very useful advice my younger son managed to get one of my applications back and all the associated files, which is a great relief. I'm a Trustee for a local charity supporting children with special needs and I had a lot of information in there which I didn't want to lose. It's now getting backed up so I won't have to go through this again.

I'm going to see how use of the new system pans out now and if I lose everything from today overnight (which happened before probably due to my temporary profile).
Crinklyfox
Midshipman
Midshipman

Windows 10 (warning!)

Postby GaelSail » 27 Nov 2015 19:37

I had the same 'temporary profile' during Windows 10 upgrade today. When I restarted the computer again, the files appeared along with my real profile and normal settings. It just needed fine tuning then, to turn off parts of Windows 10 that I don't need.
GaelSail
Midshipman
Midshipman

Windows 10 (warning!)

Postby Dave » 30 Nov 2015 08:44

Crinklyfox wrote:Beware folks.

I'm not the most IT-knowledgeable person on the planet so I tend to be guided by what I consider to be reliable sources, in this case Microsoft.

I have a fairly old PC running Windows 7. For the past couple of months I've been getting a pop-up inviting me to install Windows 10 - for free! The last message said my PC was compatible and that I would have storage areas for my documents and photos. So I finally decided to take the plunge and install - big mistake.

The upgrade downloaded and installed in a trouble-free manner, it took over half an hour and my PC kept re-starting but that wasn't an issue. What was an issue was that all my files and photos had been deleted. To add insult to injury I then received a message that I had been granted a temporary profile, I couldn't create or save files, and that anything I did would be deleted when I logged out. This proved to be the case, I couldn't even save settings in 'My computer'.

So now I have a PC that isn't useful for much. I heartily wish I'd never heard of Windows 10 and am livid with Microsoft for what they have done. All I can do is warn others not to get caught out.

A little about the Windows 10 nag...

Although I use a PC, I also have a laptop which my wife gave me when she bought a new one. I use the laptop only occasionally - mainly to keep an eye on the forum while I'm playing a game on my PC.

The laptop had Windows 10 installed. I chose to install Windows 7 rather than leave it running Windows 10, partly because I prefer W7 anyway and partly to start over with a clean operating system.

After a few days, I started getting the nag pop-up inviting me to upgrade to W10. I object to this kind of thing - just as I'd object if my TV told me I ought to buy a new model, or if my car told me how much better the latest version is! :evil:

The nag to 'upgrade' to W10 arrived in an update. Even though I install updates manually (because I like to know what they're for), this one sneaked past me by saying that it is to 'resolve issues'. No it's not - it's to nag me!

The solution was as follows: The update responsible for the nag is KB3035583. I uninstalled the update in Control Panel / Programs and Features / View Installed Updates. Then I checked for updates and when KB3035583 duly appeared (offering to resolve issues!) I right-clicked and hid it. No more nagging! :D
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Windows 10 (warning!)

Postby Fossil » 01 Dec 2015 16:41

Personally I have had enough of Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 to the extent that I have this afternoon been out and purchased an Apple Mac. Never had any problems with iPhones 3, 4, 5 and 6 and no problems with my iPad. Yes it costs considerably more than a Windows PC but reliability is more important than cheapness to me.
Fossil
Cruise Director
Cruise Director

Windows 10 (warning!)

Postby Dave » 01 Dec 2015 18:58

I think the last time I actually bought a new and whole PC was nearly 20 years ago. To the best of my recollection, it was a Pentium II 233MHz with a 3Gb hard drive and I think it came with Windows 95 installed. It cost more than £2000 but it did come with a good many programs on real CDs and with real instruction manuals! From that point on, it was just a matter of constant upgrading - cases, power supplies, motherboards, CPUs, etc, etc.

The significant upgrading ground to a halt a few years ago. I've added SSDs and an SSHD in the last year or two, but the motherboard, CPU, memory and graphics card are at least four years old. Upgrading was always driven by a desire to have the fastest PC I could afford in order to play 3D games such as Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 3 as smoothly as possible while using the most demanding (ultra) settings. I stopped upgrading because no new demands were being made on gaming PCs - PC gaming had been slowly grinding to a halt. :(

An operating system has a variety of functions, but for me the one that matters most is that it allows me to use my PC for what I want it to do. I've recently bought a new game (Fallout 4) which requires a fast PC to run at high settings. My ageing PC seems to cope well with high settings, but I'm sure I'll want to use ultra settings before long and that will no doubt set off the upgrading cycle once again!

I used to use Windows 7 on an SSD. When Windows 8 came along, I installed it alongside W7 but on a second SSD (I modified W8 to provide a familiar Start button and to boot straight to a familiar desktop). I much preferred W8 because it was leaner and faster so that soon became the OS of choice. (My games are on a third SSD for speed!) When Windows 10 was released, I replaced the now redundant W7 with it and tried it out. I couldn't see that it offered any benefits to me over W8 (and there were several drawbacks to using it), so I'm sticking with W8 for the foreseeable future. It does exactly what I want it to do and I can't think of any reason to boot my PC into W10.

I know there are those who believe that Apple's OSs are superior to Microsoft's, but my most demanding applications are my games - and they don't run on an Apple OS...
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Next

Return to Techie Q&As