Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Photo /image viewer and editor

Photo /image viewer and editor

Postby khkate » 28 Nov 2015 12:52

I am still running Windows XP amazingly. I recently had to reinstall it and have manged to get everything back, aapart from Windows Live which is no longer available for download for XP. This is a shame as it had a brilliant photo gasllery programme which was brill for viewing photos and also editing them - simple to use. As I can't seem to get photo Gallery, does anybody have any suggestions on a simple similar (preferably free) viewer/editor programme for photos?

One of these days, I will get round to buying a new computer with a newer OS.
Future Cruises - Baltics, Canaries Canada, Med, Scandinavia
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Skier Pete » 30 Nov 2015 00:57

khkate wrote:I am still running Windows XP amazingly. I recently had to reinstall it and have manged to get everything back, aapart from Windows Live which is no longer available for download for XP. This is a shame as it had a brilliant photo gasllery programme which was brill for viewing photos and also editing them - simple to use. As I can't seem to get photo Gallery, does anybody have any suggestions on a simple similar (preferably free) viewer/editor programme for photos?

I have Picasa for photo viewing on my PC it's a free download but not a lot going for it on the editing side; but for editing I use Photoshop, it's expensive and I had to go to 10 night
school classes to learn the basics, but the plus side was we were given copies of Photoshop CS5 for our own use on our PCs which is why I have it. Seeing as the course of lessons was only £65.

I got the full program for a snip.

May be worth considering if you can spare one evening a week for 10 weeks.
Skiing comes 1st; Cruising a close 2nd

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
Skier Pete
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Dave » 30 Nov 2015 09:00

khkate wrote:I am still running Windows XP amazingly. I recently had to reinstall it and have manged to get everything back, aapart from Windows Live which is no longer available for download for XP. This is a shame as it had a brilliant photo gasllery programme which was brill for viewing photos and also editing them - simple to use. As I can't seem to get photo Gallery, does anybody have any suggestions on a simple similar (preferably free) viewer/editor programme for photos?

I've been using the same version of Paint Shop Pro since 1998! :D

I use Paint Shop Pro version 5. I'd used this version at work and when I retired I bought a copy on Ebay for £5 (genuine CD!).

As I've upgraded my OS over the years - from XP onwards, I've always reinstalled my trusty version of PSP5. It does everything I want from a graphics program and I've never had any reason to get something newer. In fact I once installed PSP8 but (like many software 'upgrades') it just added complexity without making common tasks any easier so I went back to version 5.

Highly recommended (and no evening classes required ;) ).
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Wansbrough » 30 Nov 2015 10:14

Dave wrote:I've been using the same version of Paint Shop Pro since 1998! :D

I use Paint Shop Pro version 5. I'd used this version at work and when I retired I bought a copy on Ebay for £5 (genuine CD!).

As I've upgraded my OS over the years - from XP onwards, I've always reinstalled my trusty version of PSP5. It does everything I want from a graphics program and I've never had any reason to get something newer. In fact I once installed PSP8 but (like many software 'upgrades') it just added complexity without making common tasks any easier so I went back to version 5.

Highly recommended (and no evening classes required ;) ).

I bought PSP8 around 8 years ago (a disc on ebay). I upgraded to X1 about 3 years ago and have both versions installed. Like you I much prefer the earlier version but there are times when the newer version will open certain files the older one won't.
What I find amusing is I prefer the version you don't. :lol:
Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Photo /image viewer and editor

Postby khkate » 01 Dec 2015 10:57

Thanks for your responses. Funnily enough, I did do an 8-week course on using Photoshop a few years ago, so I do have a rough idea of how it works. I was going to download a free trial to see how I get on - thinking of using Lightroom - but can only access that from the US site, not the UK one. Will keep persevering though.
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Photo /image viewer and editor

Postby khkate » 08 Feb 2016 20:01

Just a quick update to let you know I found a very good photo editor programme - PT Photo Editor, available via Google/Chrome Apps. There is a paid version and free version - I use the free version and I have found it absolutely brilliant. Oh, and it works with XP too, which for me is even better.
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral