Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - How do I post a link that actually works?

How do I post a link that actually works?

Postby arkangel » 19 Feb 2013 09:59

That's a question which has been asked a number of times recently, so I thought another word on the subject is appropriate.

It's been covered in detail in the 'How to Use the Forum' area: Changes to the methods of including links in posts, but it never hurts to bump the subject and add more in the way of explanation.

Although Cruising Mates might superficially resemble many other forums, it has been quite heavily modified by the addition of features that improve it in many ways. Therefore, those who use other forums might occasionally find that something works differently here.

Links

I think there are three things regarding links that are unsatisfactory on a standard forum:

1. Clicking a link takes the user away from the forum to another website.
2. Spammers love standard forums because they can paste long lists of working links in seconds.
3. You might want to refer to a website by an address such as www.cruise.com without it appearing like http://www.cruise.com in your post.

So I changed the way links are applied.

1. An address in a post does not get converted automatically to a working link. The user must enclose the address in ExtURL tags.
2. An ExtURL= tag has been added to allow 'friendly text' links where text replaces the often messy-looking URL.
3. Followed links open in a new tab (or window) so the user doesn't leave the forum.
4. A website address can be posted without it appearing as a link.

Although I fully accept these changes can be frustrating for someone who's used to doing things the standard way, I hope members will agree that these changes actually improve the way the forum works. :geek:
(Dave)
arkangel
Administrator
Administrator

National Flag:
United Nations

Postby Meg50 » 03 Jan 2017 11:25

arkangel wrote:.............
2. An ExtURL= tag has been added to allow 'friendly text' links where text replaces the often messy-looking URL.....

so where do I put my text and which bit do I delete?

ta
Meg
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby grannyM » 03 Jan 2017 13:09

Meg50 wrote:
arkangel wrote:.............
2. An ExtURL= tag has been added to allow 'friendly text' links where text replaces the often messy-looking URL.....

so where do I put my text and which bit do I delete?

ta

Meg in the absence of any MOD or Admin to answer your question, this is what I do to use the ExtURL= instead of the ExtURL

1.Copy and Paste the link address, highlight it and click ExtURL= button to enclose the link between them. Just as you would do using ExtURL.

2.Delete the first closed bracket ] (between the = and http): [ExtURL=]https://www.bbc.co.uk/[/ExtURL]

3.Add it after the link address: [exturl=https://www.bbc.co.uk/][/exturl]

4.Type the shortened version you want, between these two brackets: [exturl=https://www.bbc.co.uk/ ]BBC[ /exturl]

(I have left a space between the brackets and link here only to demonstrate otherwise you would not see the whole link in this post. When you are actually doing it you do NOT leave any spaces between the link and brackets or brackets and short text, and this is only what shows: BBC

No doubt a more experienced user will recommend doing all this with the keyboard, i.e., Ctrl....etc etc, but I find this way is quicker and easier for me. :)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: How do I post a link that actually works?

Postby Meg50 » 03 Jan 2017 13:16

Meg
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Meg50 » 03 Jan 2017 13:17

Wow, it worked first time!
thank you :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Meg
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 03 Jan 2017 13:59

My apologies for not replying sooner. I did notice the question just before I went out this morning but I couldn't think of how I could give a better explanation than the one I'd previously given in the link that I'd included in the original post... :oops:

Changes to the methods of including links in posts

I'm glad it's all sorted now! :D
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: How do I post a link that actually works?

Postby Meg50 » 03 Jan 2017 15:59

didn't think to click the link cos the title didn't look like my Question! I read your list and assumed that was all.

Oooops, Sorry

:think: :angel: ;) :( :?
Meg
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby grannyM » 03 Jan 2017 17:33

Meg50 wrote:Wow, it worked first time!
thank you :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

You are very welcome Meg. Glad you got there. :thumbup:
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby grannyM » 03 Jan 2017 17:37

Dave wrote:My apologies for not replying sooner. I did notice the question just before I went out this morning but I couldn't think of how I could give a better explanation than the one I'd previously given in the link that I'd included in the original post... :oops:

Changes to the methods of including links in posts

I'm glad it's all sorted now! :D

Sorry Dave, didn't mean to 'butt in' but I presumed Meg had read your instructions and as I said, I know others do it differently so thought she could try the way I do it. The main thing is that no one else was answering at that time so thought it was ok for me to do so. :?
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland