Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Complimentary Toiletries

Complimentary Toiletries

Complimentary Toiletries

Postby tobysgranny » 07 Mar 2015 19:21

Does it matter to you whether or not there are complimentary toiletries in your cabin and does it matter what the quality is. Do they have to have a 'name'.

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Complimentary Toiletries

Postby Trace » 07 Mar 2015 20:34

Doesn't matter to me as I never use them, as I always like my own, Boots Sanctuary.

But I do always take them home though.

At Disneyland Paris last November, I just loved the toiletries with Mickey shaped ears for the lids, they were replaced everyday, I took lots home and our grandchildren love them. they also did little soap bars with mickey ears embossed in them, I took them too, for our little toilet room.
:)
Last edited by Trace on 07 Mar 2015 21:37, edited 2 times in total.
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Complimentary Toiletries

Postby Mungo » 07 Mar 2015 20:37

A good question Joan. :D

I used to take my own but now mainly use what's provided. Can't recall who uses what now but the quality seems fine. Is it Lotus for Princess, the White Company for P&O, Elemis on Celebrity? ;)

As we're flying this summer then we will definitely make do with what's provided. :mrgreen:
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Complimentary Toiletries

Postby adogap » 07 Mar 2015 20:38

I appreciate provided toiletries primarily as it saves me packing them, important if restricted to airline baggage allowances. An expensive brand is good as often it is the only time I get to try them, we tend to purchase what is on offer at the chemist. Fred Olsen have large containers of liquid soap / shower gel and although it is perfectly adequate I have heard others refer to them as paint strippers :?

Chris
Baltic Cities, Balmoral, June 2018
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Complimentary Toiletries

Postby JollyJill » 07 Mar 2015 21:11

I too, appreciate complimentary toiletries simply because it saves me taking up space in my case by taking my own.

I have really appreciated P & O's White Company 'Flowers'. So much so, that I put that particular fragrance on my Christmas list. :)

As for Fred Olsen's shower gel/shampoo; I find it perfectly acceptable albeit not exactly top quality.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Complimentary Toiletries

Postby tobysgranny » 07 Mar 2015 21:28

Trace wrote:Doesn't matter to me as I never use them, as I always like my own, Boots Sanctuary. But at Disneyland Paris last November, I just loved the toiletries with Mickey shaped ears for the lids, they were replaced everyday, I took lots home and our grandchildren love them. they also did little soap bars with mickey ears embossed in them, I took them too, for our little toilet room.

Girl after my own heart Tracy. Sanctuary is my very favourite. I always travel with small bottles which
I top up from my bigger bottles. I just love the smell on my skin after a shower.

I never use the toiletries provided as I always take my own but Richard always uses the shampoo.

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: Complimentary Toiletries

Postby tomvet » 07 Mar 2015 21:30

I prefer to have complimentary toiletries as it saves the hassle of packing etc. I don't needed branded ones, the dispenser in the shower is fine with me but I do prefer the small bottles if there is a choice.
That said, as there are 5 of us we are more and more likely to use apartments rather than hotels for or pre- or post- cruise accommodation so therefore need to take some with us or buy it locally. Regardless of what is supplied or where we are going a large bottle of conditioner is the first item packed :roll:
I unashamedly admit that when I stay in hotels that I take the unused toiletries as they are very handy for work travel abroad due to their size complying with airport security rules.
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
December 18 - A-ROSA Aqua - Cologne - Mannheim - Kehl (Strasbourg) - Mainz - Cologne
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Re: Complimentary Toiletries

Postby Trace » 07 Mar 2015 21:35

tomvet wrote:I prefer to have complimentary toiletries as it saves the hassle of packing etc. I don't needed branded ones, the dispenser in the shower is fine with me but I do prefer the small bottles if there is a choice.
That said, as there are 5 of us we are more and more likely to use apartments rather than hotels for or pre- or post- cruise accommodation so therefore need to take some with us or buy it locally. Regardless of what is supplied or where we are going a large bottle of conditioner is the first item packed :roll:
I unashamedly admit that when I stay in hotels that I take the unused toiletries as they are very handy for work travel abroad due to their size complying with airport security rules.

I too take home the little bottles from hotel weekend breaks, not bothered about the brand, as our daughter and family do a lot of camping breaks throughout the summer and they find the samples are great in the shower blocks.
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Complimentary Toiletries

Postby Trace » 07 Mar 2015 21:43

tobysgranny wrote:
Trace wrote:Doesn't matter to me as I never use them, as I always like my own, Boots Sanctuary. But at Disneyland Paris last November, I just loved the toiletries with Mickey shaped ears for the lids, they were replaced everyday, I took lots home and our grandchildren love them. they also did little soap bars with mickey ears embossed in them, I took them too, for our little toilet room.

Girl after my own heart Tracy. Sanctuary is my very favourite. I always travel with small bottles which
I top up from my bigger bottles. I just love the smell on my skin after a shower.

I never use the toiletries provided as I always take my own but Richard always uses the shampoo.

Joan

oh isn't Sanctuary just lovely? I use the whole lot, our daughter keeps me supplied in it, and our granddaughter always claims the box off me that it comes in, she loves the smell too. I have the travel set too, and I fill the bottles for holidays
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Complimentary Toiletries

Postby Trace » 07 Mar 2015 21:45

whoops why did that post twice? :?

Edit:- I deleted the 2nd one for you

Pete