Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Istanbul private excursion by 'Shorebee'

Istanbul private excursion by 'Shorebee'

Tell us about your favourite organised tours and excursions.

Postby judgegeoff » 25 Aug 2016 14:35

Next month Chris and I will be visiting Istanbul for a day and a half on the little "Voyager" cruise ship. We visited there last year and booked a ship's excursion that was supposed to visit the Blue Mosque, the Cisterns, Hagia Sophia and the Chora Museum. Unfortunately our visit last year coincided with a major religious holiday and the Blue Mosque was dropped from our itinerary at the last minute.

None of the ship's excursions on offer this year appeal to us as they all visit places that we visited last year. We have seen private excursions offered by a company named Shorebee and have been interested by one of their tours that visits the Blue Mosque, the Topkapi Palace and the Hippodrome for a cost of 78 Euros (around £67) each. They time their tours to meet the ship's arrival and departure times, use air conditioned vehicles and have English speaking guides.

If anybody any experience of this company or their Istanbul tours in particular I would be very grateful for any feedback. Many thanks.
Geoff

English Channel - 'Lusca' (above) - whenever weather permits (Not very often this year!).

Cruises Booked

P&O "Aurora" Norwegian Fjords
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby adogap » 25 Aug 2016 14:59

Hi Geoff

Although we visit Turkey quite often it is a few years since we have been to Istanbul.
May I recommend you register with Gov.UK Website? You will receive frequent email alerts, information and advice.
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/turkey
I hope you both have a great time in Turkey and look forward to hearing all about it

Chris
Baltic Cities and Kiel Canal, Black Watch, September 2017
Xmas / New Year, Queen Elizabeth, Dec. 2017 (Funchal Fireworks at last!)
In search of Northern Lights, Balmoral, March 2018
Canada, Queen Mary 2, September 2018
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tobysgranny » 25 Aug 2016 18:24

Geoff we just picked up a taxi at the port gates and he took us on a 4 hour tour, dropping us where we wanted to go and picking us up just where we agreed to meet him. It was very reasonable but as I was in he front seat of the taxi I had to shut my eyes until we got to the Blue Mosque. As it was a Friday it was closed (we had visited on a previous cruise) but the driver short circuited the queue for the Hagia Sophia as he met his 'cousin' who had tickets at the ready so we didn't have to line up with everyone else and went straight in.

Neither Richard or I were very impressed with the Topkapi Museum. We enjoyed our visit to the Grand Bazaar and the Spice Bazaar.

Joan

Future cruises

Royal Caribbean, T/A, The Brilliance in Of The Seas, October 2016.
Royal Caribbean, Caribbean, Freedom Of The Seas, November, 2016
Royal Caribbean, The Arctic Circle, Serenade Of The Seas, June, 2017
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby judgegeoff » 25 Aug 2016 19:29

Many thanks for your advice Chris and Joan - duly noted. :thumbup:
Geoff

English Channel - 'Lusca' (above) - whenever weather permits (Not very often this year!).

Cruises Booked

judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby avidcruiser » 25 Aug 2016 21:12

The Blue Mosque and the Topkapi Palace are within walking distance of each other, if you get/can mange the tram.

If you want to see gem laden pieces of history with emeralds and all sorts of precious stones to make you gasp out loud, then this is a visit not to be missed. It was the highlight of our land based holiday in Istanbul some years ago.
All my posts and photos are COPYRIGHTED!!

"I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me!"
KEEP CALM AND CRUISE ON

avidcruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Wales

Postby judgegeoff » 25 Aug 2016 21:25

Thanks avid! :thumbup:
Geoff

Cruises Booked

judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Istanbul private excursion by 'Shorebee'

Postby tomvet » 25 Aug 2016 21:38

How about a Hammam?

November 2017 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Aurelia - Cologne - Bonn - Cochem - Koblenz - Rudesheim - Frankfurt - Mainz - Cologne
April 2018 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby judgegeoff » 25 Aug 2016 21:43

I don't want to frighten them. :D
Geoff

Cruises Booked

judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom