Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Some great off-road tours

Some great off-road tours

Some great off-road tours

Postby Dave » 17 Jun 2011 07:36

I love getting the excursions booklet before a cruise. We look for those we must do, and book them. For ports of call where nothing on offer really appeals we go DIY.

If we're going to the Caribbean we'll look for snorkelling opportunities but for all other destinations it's the 4X4 off-road excursions for us. Here's a brief account of a few we've particularly enjoyed...

Marmaris, Turkey:
An excellent and varied trip around the area - on and off road. It was uncomfortable, high-speed, dirty and great fun. Highlights included visiting rural areas, going to a high point overlooking Marmaris, and a swim (full-clothed) in the Med to cool off!

Brisbane, Australia:
Now that's what I call an off-road vehicle - at one point we drove up a hill that seemed almost vertical. This tour included a brilliant forest walk where we saw all sorts of wildlife - trapdoor spiders, lizards, wild turkeys, and things I can't remember the names of. For me, seeing an old Holden was very nostalgic (I lived in Australia as a child).

Lisbon, Portugal:
We drove in Jeeps from the port up into the surrounding mountains. As part of the tour we were taken deep into a forest where a table of food and drink for lunch was waiting. Everyone was so impressed they took photos!

Walvis Bay, Namibia:
Of all the tours of all kinds this has been our favourite so far. We drove in Land Rovers into the Namibia desert for a nine hour excursion. We saw jackals, snakes and other wildlife, had a champagne lunch in the dunes, and spent a lot of time driving over vast sand dunes. Wonderful!
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Some great off-road tours

Postby ShipShape » 17 Jun 2011 08:08

It's great fun, isn't it.

In my current incarnation I work in the car industry and a couple of years ago we did some work on the (then) new RR Sport.

One of the perks was we got to try out the 'jungle' at the Land Rover Solihull factory, which is a truly fantastic obstacle course for 4x4s (I think its now moved to the tech centre at Gaydon). They put their own cars thru' their paces, but also the competition, and it's their proud boast that the LRs are the most rugged. It was SCARY!

My wife will not abide risky ventures abroad, as I'm accident prone and clumsy, otherwise i'd love to do those things.

Any more pics?

Iain
ShipShape
Commander
Commander