Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Walvis Bay, Namibia - Desert Adventure

Walvis Bay, Namibia - Desert Adventure

Walvis Bay, Namibia - Desert Adventure

Postby Dave » 16 Aug 2011 20:06

This is still our number one excursion of all time. It'll take some beating.

A coach took us a short distance to where a number of 4x4s (mostly Land Rovers) were waiting and we shared ours with a couple of friends. The driver was our guide for the day - and it was a day: nine hours, with lunch included.

From the moment we left the Walvis Bay area we were in heaven. We followed the coast towards the desert and stopped briefly to watch pelicans and flamingos:

...then continued along the coast seeing ever larger dunes where the desert meets the ocean. We stopped and raced up the nearest - the sand was extremely soft and it was tougher than it looks:

Further still and we stopped by a salt lake where we spotted a jackal a little way off:

(Continued...)
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Walvis Bay, Namibia - Desert Adventure (2)

Postby Dave » 16 Aug 2011 20:13

Next we headed into the desert. After an exciting ride up and over the mountainous dunes we stopped for a long and lavish lunch:

I finished mine quickly and went exploring - but trying to keep the others in sight!

After lunch we all spent an hour or so racing over the dunes. The ascent is fairly gentle, but when you reach the top the slope looks incredibly steep and a very long way down:

(Continued...)
Dave

Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Walvis Bay, Namibia - Desert Adventure (3)

Postby Dave » 16 Aug 2011 20:20

Eventually we set off again looking for wildlife - and found this sidewinder. I didn't get as close as the photo makes it seem:

On the way back to Walvis Bay we saw these huge salt lakes:

I realise this might seem like just a drive in the desert, but it's impossible to convey the sense of vastness, the heat, finding animals in their natural environment, and the sheer fun of the day. Our guide was brilliant - a mine of information and local experience.

One last thing... the excursion cost us £90 each - not bad for an unforgettable day!
Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Walvis Bay, Namibia - Desert Adventure

Postby avidcruiser » 16 Aug 2011 20:28

WOW!! and more wow's. Our sort of excursion.

Thanks for the photos, I have to say it; I am envious of what you did and saw. I just hope that we can get there some day.
All my posts and photos are COPYRIGHTED!!

"I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me!"
KEEP CALM AND CRUISE ON

avidcruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Wales

Postby Dave » 16 Aug 2011 20:33

avidcruiser wrote:WOW!! and more wow's. Our sort of excursion.

Thanks for the photos, I have to say it; I am envious of what you did and saw. I just hope that we can get there some day.

It was all a bit much for our mate Charlie though... :D

Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby JollyJill » 16 Aug 2011 20:45

Fabulous pics Dave - what a great excursion. I'm not sure about the snake though- even with your clever use of the right lens, it would have been too close for me. :shock: :shock:

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby sevenseascoaster » 16 Aug 2011 20:52

What a wonderful experience, great pictures, not too sure whether I would have been up to coming down that steep slope though :roll: ? looks pretty hairy to me? :o

An experience that will stay with you forever :)
Wen

Tried 19 different Ships and many many cruises, and hopefully more to come!
I haven't been everywhere, but its on my list!
sevenseascoaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Dave » 16 Aug 2011 21:00

sevenseascoaster wrote:What a wonderful experience, great pictures, not too sure whether I would have been up to coming down that steep slope though :roll: ? looks pretty hairy to me? :o

An experience that will stay with you forever :)

At the risk of being incredibly boring, here's a fact about sand dunes... They can't ever be steeper than a certain angle (you'll be glad to know I can't remember what it is), because the sand slides down. So, as long as the vehicle approaches the edge at ninety degrees, it can't tip over. Well, that's what the guide said anyway! :)
Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby JollyJill » 16 Aug 2011 21:11

My youngest daughter has been sand boarding on the Namibian sand dunes when she was on a school expedition there 10 years ago.
She said it was awesome. :)

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby bobbyoscar » 17 Aug 2011 09:47

Wow! What wonderful, superb, amazing pictures. One day, maybe..........
Cruises booked:
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette
- Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger CANX
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Vigo CANX
May 2021 Celebrity Silhouette - ST. PETER PORT - CORK (COBH) - WATERFORD(DUNMORE E) - DUBLIN - GLASGOW (GREENOCK) - AKUREYRI - REYKJAVIK - BELFAST
Aug 2021 Celebrity Silhouette GIBRALTAR – CARTAGENA – BARCELONA – VALENCIA – CADIZ - LISBON
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Next