Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - On Yer Bike Cruiser!!

On Yer Bike Cruiser!!

On Yer Bike Cruiser!!

Postby Stan Deasy » 24 Feb 2013 17:13

I notice in the new Thomson 2013/14 brochure that one of the new features on all their ships from April 2013 is the "Star Bike Tour". Each of the ships has a collection of mountain bikes onboard, and, at almost every port you can join an experienced guide and cycle your way around the top local attractions. The distance and difficulty of each tour varies. There are leisurely rides over flat ground or more challenging trips on hilly terrain.
Another new(to Thomsons I believe) craft opportunity,available on their T/A trips is one that May really enjoyed on MSC Opera last year,run by the same chap. It's a "Chocolate Workshop" run by Chocolatier Gerry Wilton,which explores chocolate tasting, making your own truffles,and emerging from the course having painted your own portrait in 3 different colours of chocolate. May still has hers in a frame in the fridge,and cannot bring herself to eat it,even though I have suggestively said to her on one occasion "I could eat you babe".....the answer is still "NO". :lol: This course is the same price as it was on MSC...£30....and it was excellent value.
There is no indication of the price of the Star Bike tours. I will definitely be on those :D :D [Uni] Sycling Stan. ;)
Stan Deasy
Ship's Chaplain
Ship's Chaplain

On Yer Bike Cruiser!!

Postby tomvet » 24 Feb 2013 17:20

Stan Deasy wrote:I notice in the new Thomson 2013/14 brochure that one of the new features on all their ships from April 2013 is the "Star Bike Tour". Each of the ships has a collection of mountain bikes onboard, and, at almost every port you can join an experienced guide and cycle your way around the top local attractions. The distance and difficulty of each tour varies. There are leisurely rides over flat ground or more challenging trips on hilly terrain.
Another new(to Thomsons I believe) craft opportunity,available on their T/A trips is one that May really enjoyed on MSC Opera last year,run by the same chap. It's a "Chocolate Workshop" run by Chocolatier Gerry Wilton,which explores chocolate tasting, making your own truffles,and emerging from the course having painted your own portrait in 3 different colours of chocolate. May still has hers in a frame in the fridge,and cannot bring herself to eat it,even though I have suggestively said to her on one occasion "I could eat you babe".....the answer is still "NO". :lol: This course is the same price as it was on MSC...£30....and it was excellent value.
There is no indication of the price of the Star Bike tours. I will definitely be on those :D :D [Uni] Sycling Stan. ;)

Stan - when on our Destiny cruise back in 2010 - Thomson had these tours. They cost about £30 for a 5 hour tour. THe offered them in every port. As Mrs TV has a bike aversion, we steered clear! I heard the tour in Tangier was quite strenuous.
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Re: On Yer Bike Cruiser!!

Postby JollyJill » 24 Feb 2013 17:28

I remember that Ocean Village had bikes on board and ran excursions on them. They were very popular.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

On Yer Bike Cruiser!!

Postby Stan Deasy » 24 Feb 2013 17:40

Thanks Tom...I'm obviously behind the curve on this one,but I don't remember seeing them offered on Thompsons Destiny , although the last time we were on Thomsons was Christmas/NY 2009/2010. I find that although the old knees are a bit dodgy,and limit the amount of walking I can enjoy,I can ride a bike for 20 or 30 miles...no problem, so I am really keen on these opportunities.Regards Stan
Stan Deasy
Ship's Chaplain
Ship's Chaplain

On Yer Bike Cruiser!!

Postby JollyJill » 24 Feb 2013 17:43

Stan Deasy wrote:Thanks Tom...I'm obviously behind the curve on this one,but I don't remember seeing them offered on Thompsons Destiny , although the last time we were on Thomsons was Christmas/NY 2009/2010. I find that although the old knees are a bit dodgy,and limit the amount of walking I can enjoy,I can ride a bike for 20 or 30 miles...no problem, so I am really keen on these opportunities.Regards Stan

Maybe we should use Boris's Bikes when you are next in London then Stan. ;)

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

On Yer Bike Cruiser!!

Postby Stan Deasy » 24 Feb 2013 18:12

I'm game Jill,but May is absolutely and resolutely resolved never to ride a bike.When we first met,I insisted on her going on a bike lesson in Clumber Park(Sherwood Forest).....big mistake. She is definitely in the same camp as Tom's wife when it comes to bikes. :cry:
Stan Deasy
Ship's Chaplain
Ship's Chaplain

On Yer Bike Cruiser!!

Postby tomvet » 26 Feb 2013 22:35

Stan Deasy wrote:Thanks Tom...I'm obviously behind the curve on this one,but I don't remember seeing them offered on Thompsons Destiny , although the last time we were on Thomsons was Christmas/NY 2009/2010. I find that although the old knees are a bit dodgy,and limit the amount of walking I can enjoy,I can ride a bike for 20 or 30 miles...no problem, so I am really keen on these opportunities.Regards Stan

It is not my legs that bother me when cycling Stan! Its me behind, not to mention the NWS!!!! :roll: :lol:
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Return to Off road