Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Morocco- Massa Jeep Adventure January 2014

Morocco- Massa Jeep Adventure January 2014

Postby JollyJill » 21 Jan 2014 13:54

We had never been to Morocco before and rather than stay in Agadir, which we thought would not give us much of a feel for the Moroccan terrain, we decided to book an excursion which would take us out into the countryside.
We opted for the Massa Jeep Adventure, which cost us £60 each, lasted for 8 hours, included a traditional Moroccan lunch and we covered more than 200km, much of it off road through Berber villages and the edge of the Sahara Desert.
It was a brilliant day and well worth thinking about if you find yourself docking in Agadir.

Our first view of the port was a mass of containers which told us just how big a port it is.
It was good to see the vehicles waiting by the quayside as our tour was first off the ship at 8.30 am.

The vehicles were Land Cruisers which we found very comfortable even when bouncing about off road.

Our tour was a convoy of 4 vehicles and our guide Ahmed, was a real character and a mine of information.

Here he is talking to P, where he made a point of 'mentioning' his tip that he expected at the end of the trip.

We set off and drove for about 45 minutes through Agadir and it's suburbs before stopping for a few minutes for Ahmed to tell us where we would be going and of course the customary comfort break.

A little further along the coast, we stopped again to look at the sea and be offered a photo opportunity sitting on a camel, which most of us declined. Ahmed sang to the camel which was entertainment enough for us all.

Back in the vehicles and off we went for our first off road journey towards the Massa Reserve.

After another drive of about 45 minutes, we arrived at the Massa Reserve.

Ahmed told us that the rains that normally begin in October, had not arrived and therefore both the flora and fauna were not typical of what we should see in January. In fact, we saw precious little of either whilst there; not that it spoilt the experience very much.

Looking carefully,you could see the tracks of snakes and scorpions

Amazingly, we saw sheep grazing whilst off road and wondered how they survived with so little vegetation to be had.

The building we saw on leaving the reserve.

Back in the vehicles, we made our way partly off road to a Berber village where we stopped for lunch.
The restaurant was impressive and the food was pretty good too- shame about the wine, which was pretty rough.

After a leisurely lunch, swapping stories with fellow passengers from the ship, we headed for the foot of the Anti Atlas Mountains from where we could look down on where we had lunch and then further on, we saw the reservoir and dam.

You can see by the high water level that there was a drought on.

The Arabic on the Dam we were told meant God, King and Country.

That was our last stop before returning to the ship, which was virtually ready to sail by the time we got back.
It was a memorable day and we both loved every minute of it. :D

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Morocco- Massa Jeep Adventure January 2014

Postby khkate » 21 Jan 2014 14:00

Looking forward to the continuation as we are booked on a Jeep safari in Agadir (6 hours) gojng to Immouzzer Paradise Valley. Agree about the wonderful(!) sights of all the container crates in Agadir - very picturesque.
CRUISES BOOKED:
Spirit of Discovery - Dec 2020, Dec 2021
Spirit of Adventure - September 2020, March 2021, June 2021, October 2021
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby hazel20 » 21 Jan 2014 14:05

Brilliant Jill......shame that my next stop in Agadir is only half a day so I am guessing this won't be on offer
http://www.hazeljgriffiths.net

Future Lecture Cruises:
2020 - Balmoral - USA in the Fall - a minimal chance
2021 - 2 legs of Spirit of Discovery to South America
2021 - Coastlines of Croatia - Sept SofD
2021 - Canaries - Nov SofA
hazel20
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
Wales

Postby Gillzajoker » 21 Jan 2014 15:45

Lovely pics. Jill!
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Dave » 21 Jan 2014 16:31

Thanks for that Jill - great photos as usual! :)
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby grannyM » 21 Jan 2014 18:10

This looks a very exciting and interesting trip Jill. I really love the photos on here and all the others on your different tour reviews. You are doing great to post them all so quickly. Thank you for sharing them. :D
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby JollyJill » 21 Jan 2014 18:22

grannyM wrote:This looks a very exciting and interesting trip Jill. I really love the photos on here and all the others on your different tour reviews. You are doing great to post them all so quickly. Thank you for sharing them. :D

Thanks Marie. I have to post it all fairly soon after we get back or I will forget the details. :oops:

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 21 Jan 2014 18:52

Thanks Jill - it sounds all so interesting and exciting. When in Morocco we hiked to Mount Toubkal in the Atlas. I would love to see some of the desert scenery.
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby JollyJill » 21 Jan 2014 19:12

tomvet wrote:Thanks Jill - it sounds all so interesting and exciting. When in Morocco we hiked to Mount Toubkal in the Atlas. I would love to see some of the desert scenery.

Perhaps you, Mrs TV and the 3 minivets could do it one day. ;)

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby sevenseascoaster » 21 Jan 2014 20:06

Another interesting review and pictures of your adventure Jill, especially liked the picture of Ahmed holding the camels head and gazing into one anothers eyes, magic :) I wonder what the terrain looks like, once they have had some rain?
Wen

Tried 19 different Ships and many many cruises, and hopefully more to come!
I haven't been everywhere, but its on my list!
sevenseascoaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Next