Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Kayaking Eidfjord

Kayaking Eidfjord

Kayaking Eidfjord

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 13 Sep 2017 21:02

Well we did this it was an organised excursion through the ship. 3 hours almost on the water it was truly wonderful experience that I would highly recommend if you can swim and are physically fit.

Only thing I will say is this I was shattered got towed twice and got absolutely soaked and initially I was terrified :lol:. However it was brilliant and I would do it again in a heartbeat if I had the opportunity. Photo opportunities where limited and mines are not that good but the views are magnificent. What I will say is this is not as easy as it makes out in the brochure. Also I was worried about getting in and out I need not of worried the kayaks start off on the beach and finish on the beach. Johnathan got his feet soaked because when they landed they didn't come right onto the beach he thought they had for reasons known only to him and climbed out right into the water he was so glad he wore his sandshoes and not his trainers. Another tip even if its a bit chilly you still get warm I was sweating but obviously couldn't take off my lightweight jacket I was wearing as I couldn't remove my life jacket. Another tip make sure you don't try and turn right around it can and will tip the boat. Emma almost toppled ours good job I was paying attention lol she turned around to see how far behind of us her brother was :lol:

kayaking 5.jpg

kayaking1.jpg

kayaking2.jpg

kayaking3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

Re: Kayaking Eidfjord

Postby avidcruiser » 13 Sep 2017 22:47

Wot!! No survival suits when kayaking in a fjord??? We only did a RIB trip from Olden and we had to wear the ubiquitous and very cumbersome survival suits.

Daughter has just bought a kayak and all the necessary gear to go with it. Was it in a sit on or on kayak?
All my posts and photos are COPYRIGHTED!!

"I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me!"
KEEP CALM AND CRUISE ON

avidcruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Wales

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 14 Sep 2017 00:03

avidcruiser wrote:Wot!! No survival suits when kayaking in a fjord??? We only did a RIB trip from Olden and we had to wear the ubiquitous and very cumbersome survival suits.

Daughter has just bought a kayak and all the necessary gear to go with it. Was it in a sit on or on kayak?

nope as its not white water kayaking you do then lol.

sit in one
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

Postby avidcruiser » 14 Sep 2017 21:57

Daughter does sea and river kayaking ,BUT, in a fjord, with water temperatures so low, surely, and with being a ship's excursion, I am very surprised that they ignored H&S.

You wouldn' t have survived very long if you had taken a dip for more than few minutes!

KEEP CALM AND CRUISE ON

avidcruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Wales

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 16 Sep 2017 18:52

avidcruiser wrote:Daughter does sea and river kayaking ,BUT, in a fjord, with water temperatures so low, surely, and with being a ship's excursion, I am very surprised that they ignored H&S.

You wouldn' t have survived very long if you had taken a dip for more than few minutes!

I think you could have stood up in the water as I could see the bottom and it wasn't that far down from the bottom of the boat and we was less than 50 yards from shore most of the time and there was the guy with the speed boat however that said it was freezing I wouldn't have wanted to go for a swim in it :lol:
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

Kayaking Eidfjord

Postby avidcruiser » 16 Sep 2017 22:08

My Geography teacher got it wrong!! They said.............fjords are deep ;) :lol:

KEEP CALM AND CRUISE ON

avidcruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Wales

Kayaking Eidfjord

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 17 Sep 2017 23:00

avidcruiser wrote:My Geography teacher got it wrong!! They said.............fjords are deep ;) :lol:

Mines to and actually thinking back we paddeled past Balmoral so it must have been deeper at some bits. I agree u would not have survived long in that water as it was very cold. I was surprised we didn't have on suits but assumed it was because it wasn't rapids lol.
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain