Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Under-sea sculptures in Grenada

Under-sea sculptures in Grenada

Under-sea sculptures in Grenada

Postby Dave » 18 Jun 2011 23:49

One of our most memorable excursions was in Grenada. We hadn't booked an excursion but at the last minute we decided to see if there was still space on the glass-bottomed kayak trip. We needn't have worried; only two other people had signed up.

We paddled for about 30 minutes admiring the view through the glass bottom - actually, I paddled and Fred admired the view. :roll: Then we stopped in an area where the sea was about 20 feet deep and were told that there were some interesting things below. So it was snorkels and flippers on, and over the side we went.

It was amazing - there were about a dozen under-sea sculptures to find. We didn't have an underwater camera but luckily our guide did and she kindly put a copy of her photos on a CD for us. This is her:

...and here's what we saw:

Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Under-sea sculptures in Grenada

Postby Dave » 18 Jun 2011 23:51

Dave

Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 18 Jun 2011 23:53

Getting back into the kayak wasn't easy!

Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby RobBar » 18 Jun 2011 23:56

Lovely pictures, lovely guide.. was that you being the gentleman?

I do not remember of that was offered when we were in Grenada last year but we would have tended more for the land and rum side.

Liz's question is who did these underwater sculptures and why?
RobBar

Postby Dave » 19 Jun 2011 00:04

Rob Victoria wrote:Lovely pictures, lovely guide.. was that you being the gentleman?

I do not remember of that was offered when we were in Grenada last year but we would have tended more for the land and rum side.

Ah, but the excursion also included time at this small private beach and bar:

And the obligatory free rum punch! :D

Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby RobBar » 19 Jun 2011 00:08

Nice but my guide after I told him Bajan rum was better poured the real stuff from a paper bag he had a wee bottle in into my glass and boy was that a kick.
RobBar