Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Snorkelling in Moorea

Snorkelling in Moorea

Snorkelling in Moorea

Postby Dave » 23 Jun 2011 09:56

I'm posting this in the 'In the water' area because that's where I spent most of my time!

This excursion was simply wonderful - easily one of the best days we've had. We arrived in Moorea in torrential rain and people were wondering if the trips would go ahead - but they did.

A tender took us about a mile to where we joined this boat (I've cheated because the photo is from when we returned!):

We skimmed across the shallow lagoons for a few miles and the rain stopped as we arrived at our destination - a small private island in a lagoon. A reef a little way off kept the sea here perfectly calm.

This island was paradise - exactly how I'd imagined a tropical Pacific island would be, with palm trees, coconuts, crystal-clear water, white sand...

We strolled around the island, stroked the friendly rays, had lunch under the palm trees, and snorkelled.

The snorkelling was fantastic - beautiful fish and coral - but I haven't a single photo to show for it. I also got very sunburned because I didn't take Fred's advice to wear a t-shirt in the water. :oops:

On the way back to the ship we had a good look at the hotels on Moorea - we've never seen anywhere for a non-cruising holiday so perfect.

And as we set sail we were treated to this wonderful sight:

I want to go back!
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Return to Underwater