Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Krantzkloof Nature Reserve

Krantzkloof Nature Reserve

Krantzkloof Nature Reserve

Postby Dave » 05 Jul 2011 07:16

This was probably one of our least memorable organised excursions but the Walking Tours area was empty... :oops:

Luckily I took a photo of the sign, because I'd never have remembered the name! You probably won't be surprised to learn that Krantzkloof is in South Africa, about an hour from Durban.

A small coach took us from the ship, through Durban and on to Klantzkloof. The journey itself was quite an eye-opener - past townships of poverty and houses with high walls and barbed wire and dire warnings about armed response units. Not somewhere I'd want to live.

The excursion was a forest walk. The going was quite rough and despite the optimistic board we didn't see a great deal of wildlife...

...which might explain the excitement over spotting a big millipede!

A highlight for me was a climb to the top of a high waterfall - it was quite dangerous but I managed to look over the edge to take this photo and to wave at the people who stayed below:

On the way back we did see something exciting at last - a crowned eagle:

I always enjoy excursions, but this was probably the least interesting forest walk we've done.
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Return to On foot