Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Just booked - Lyon & Provence river cruise

Just booked - Lyon & Provence river cruise

Postby judgegeoff » 23 Jan 2017 15:08

Chris (Seamouse) and I were interested in an Avalon river cruise but, when trying to make a booking a few hours after the advert was published, found that the cost had increased by £200 per person "because air fares have increased" - Seriously? How can a flight from London to Paris increase by such a large sum, was it first class? So, as a matter of principle, we declined to make the booking.

The Travel Agent rang us back this lunchtime and offered us the last cabin on a Viking river cruise from Avignon to Lyon aboard the "Viking Heimdal,' a two year old boat, at an extremely attractive price. After a very short 'think' we decided to go ahead and book it. It is in late March of this year.

The itinerary is as follows :-

Day 1 - Fly from Heathrow to Marseille in morning with British Airways. Transfer to "Viking Heimdal" docked in Avignon.
Day 2 - Arles.
Day 3 - Avignon, overnight in town.
Day 4 - Viviers.
Day 5 - Tournon in am, Vienne in pm.
Day 6 - Lyon.
Day 7 - Lyon.
Day 8 - Disembark ship and fly from Lyon to Heathrow with BA.

Included are flights, transfers, free wifi, an excursion each day and wine/beer with meals. Our cabin is No. 101 (oops), down in steerage, but we didn't want to spend a fortune on our first experience of this type of cruising (and our youngest daughter is getting married this year!).

This will be our first river cruise and we are both looking forward to it very much. I have been trawling through the 'River Cruising/Viking' section of the forum and have found it to be a very useful resource to help us with the planning. Dave and Fred did a similar but longer cruise on this river in 2013 and visited all the ports that we will be experiencing, I have found their report very helpful - Many thanks Dave and Fred :clap: .

“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby grannyM » 23 Jan 2017 16:47

That's all sounds great Geoff. I must say these Viking river cruisers all look very nice. :thumbup:

ps, I hope you're feeling better. :)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Mungo » 23 Jan 2017 17:32

Look forward to hearing all about it! :thumbup:
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Dave » 23 Jan 2017 18:11

That sounds excellent Geoff. As I'm sure you know, Viking Heimdal is one of the Viking 'Longships' and they look very nice indeed. :thumbup: (We were on the less posh Viking Neptune.) Our cruise was at Easter and it was colder than we'd expected so I hope you get a warm spell - sitting up on top of a river ship as you glide along is brilliant!
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby bobbyoscar » 23 Jan 2017 20:43

Sounds good Geoff and not long to wait either :thumbup:

Cruises booked:
October 2018 – P & O Oriana - Cadiz - Catania - Corigliano Calabro – Venice –Zadar - Dubrovnik - Kotor - Corfu - Gibraltar
February 2019 – P & O Aurora - Andalsnes – Tromso – Alta – Stavanger
September 2019 - P & O Azura - Malaga -Messina - Mykonos - Piraeus - Santorini - Katakolon - Gibraltar
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Re: Just booked - Lyon & Provence river cruise

Postby tomvet » 24 Jan 2017 00:34

looks like 2017 will be the year of the river cruisers
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
December 18 - A-ROSA Aqua - Cologne - Mannheim - Kehl (Strasbourg) - Mainz - Cologne
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby adogap » 24 Jan 2017 09:23

Sounds perfect Geoff, I think some of the great French wines are produced in this region :D

Chris
Baltic Cities, Balmoral, June 2018
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 24 Jan 2017 11:17

adogap wrote:Sounds perfect Geoff, I think some of the great French wines are produced in this region :D

Chris

I'll be OK with that Chris, but I have worries about Bedford Bear! :lol:
Geoff

Cruises Booked

judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 25 Jan 2017 11:15

Many thanks for your kind comments everybody.

Chris and I have been through all the included excursions for our Viking Provence river cruise and have decided to book only one paid excursion - a trip to view the Pont du Gard aqueduct, an ancient Roman aqueduct that crosses the Gardon River. As an engineer (retired) I will be very interested to see how, around 2,000 years ago, the Romans were able to maintain a 1 in 3,000 gradient of the water over a distance of 50 km and, when building the aqueduct, lift 6 ton stones over 160ft. :o

Viking's included excursions seem to be very interesting and we hope that they live up to their promises in the blurb. At Tournon we are going on a 'Tour de l'Ardeche steam train excursion, a 33km ride through the unspoilt (inaccessible by road) Doux Valley with, apparently, spectacular views. :)
Geoff

Cruises Booked

judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 25 Jan 2017 13:54

judgegeoff wrote:Many thanks for your kind comments everybody.

Chris and I have been through all the included excursions for our Viking Provence river cruise and have decided to book only one paid excursion - a trip to view the Pont du Gard aqueduct, an ancient Roman aqueduct that crosses the Gardon River. As an engineer (retired) I will be very interested to see how, around 2,000 years ago, the Romans were able to maintain a 1 in 3,000 gradient of the water over a distance of 50 km and, when building the aqueduct, lift 6 ton stones over 160ft. :o

Viking's included excursions seem to be very interesting and we hope that they live up to their promises in the blurb. At Tournon we are going on a 'Tour de l'Ardeche steam train excursion, a 33km ride through the unspoilt (inaccessible by road) Doux Valley with, apparently, spectacular views. :)

Hi Geoff

We did that excursion (you may have seen that I mentioned it in my review).

We'd both been to the Pont du Gard previously, albeit in my case very many years ago, but we'd been given onboard credit which we needed to use up so we chose to do this excursion. The coach drive was only about 35 minutes each way and the guided part was quite brief leaving us a lot of free time. We enjoyed the trip, but entry to the site was free and if we'd paid the €98 out of our own money we'd have felt cheated. If we were to do it again we'd get a taxi!..
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Next