Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Just booked - Lyon & Provence river cruise

Just booked - Lyon & Provence river cruise

Postby judgegeoff » 25 Jan 2017 20:05

Dave wrote:
judgegeoff wrote:Many thanks for your kind comments everybody.

Chris and I have been through all the included excursions for our Viking Provence river cruise and have decided to book only one paid excursion - a trip to view the Pont du Gard aqueduct, an ancient Roman aqueduct that crosses the Gardon River. As an engineer (retired) I will be very interested to see how, around 2,000 years ago, the Romans were able to maintain a 1 in 3,000 gradient of the water over a distance of 50 km and, when building the aqueduct, lift 6 ton stones over 160ft. :o

Viking's included excursions seem to be very interesting and we hope that they live up to their promises in the blurb. At Tournon we are going on a 'Tour de l'Ardeche steam train excursion, a 33km ride through the unspoilt (inaccessible by road) Doux Valley with, apparently, spectacular views. :)

Hi Geoff

We did that excursion (you may have seen that I mentioned it in my review).

We'd both been to the Pont du Gard previously, albeit in my case very many years ago, but we'd been given onboard credit which we needed to use up so we chose to do this excursion. The coach drive was only about 35 minutes each way and the guided part was quite brief leaving us a lot of free time. We enjoyed the trip, but entry to the site was free and if we'd paid the €98 out of our own money we'd have felt cheated. If we were to do it again we'd get a taxi!..

Our excursions were £39 each which seemed reasonable to me as we normally pay more for (ocean) cruise excursions.
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Just booked - Lyon & Provence river cruise

Postby tomvet » 26 Jan 2017 00:16

The train ride looks fab!
Then again I am biased as I love vintage trains

April 18 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
December 18 - A-ROSA Aqua - Cologne - Mannheim - Kehl (Strasbourg) - Mainz - Cologne
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby judgegeoff » 26 Jan 2017 10:12

tomvet wrote:The train ride looks fab!

Brilliant Tom, many thanks for this, I can't wait to see the real thing! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Fortunately I am old enough to remember when steam trains were the norm and I still love the smells and noises whenever we get the chance to ride on an old steamer! Sadly, modern diesel and electric trains do not really interest me.

As a kid I spent many happy hours on cold and windy station platforms, with my trusty ABC Railway Guide and a pencil, ticking off the train numbers as they came thundering past me. There was a special thrill if the engine had a nameplate - in particular I used to like the "Castle" locos. Happy days!!! :D :D :D
Geoff

Cruises Booked

judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Stan Deasy » 27 Jan 2017 11:20

judgegeoff wrote:

Brilliant Tom, many thanks for this, I can't wait to see the real thing! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Fortunately I am old enough to remember when steam trains were the norm and I still love the smells and noises whenever we get the chance to ride on an old steamer! Sadly, modern diesel and electric trains do not really interest me.

As a kid I spent many happy hours on cold and windy station platforms, with my trusty ABC Railway Guide and a pencil, ticking off the train numbers as they came thundering past me. There was a special thrill if the engine had a nameplate - in particular I used to like the "Castle" locos. Happy days!!! :D :D :D

Hi Geoff...another ex trainspotter here . I was lucky enough to live just 150 yards from the main Kings Cross to Doncaster/Leeds/Edinburgh LNER line. There was even a bridge across the track, upon which you could get the added thrill of being immersed in steam as the trains went under. There were famous names passing through daily ,like Flying Scotsman and Mallard and Sir Nigel Gresley, and it was always special to spot a "Streak" or a"Windie" :wave:
My other thrill would be to go on the Working Men's Club Trip to Cleethorpes and put the window down and stick your head out :wave: and hope to avoid getting the hot bits of burning ash/coal in your eyes as it flew past. Old habits die hard ,and I was to resurrect my spotting years later when I became one of the (then) members of the Eddie Stobart Fan Club. :( :thumbup:
Stan Deasy
Ship's Chaplain
Ship's Chaplain

Postby judgegeoff » 27 Jan 2017 13:50

Stan Deasy wrote:
judgegeoff wrote:

Hi Geoff...another ex trainspotter here . I was lucky enough to live just 150 yards from the main Kings Cross to Doncaster/Leeds/Edinburgh LNER line. There was even a bridge across the track, upon which you could get the added thrill of being immersed in steam as the trains went under. There were famous names passing through daily ,like Flying Scotsman and Mallard and Sir Nigel Gresley, and it was always special to spot a "Streak" or a"Windie" :wave:
My other thrill would be to go on the Working Men's Club Trip to Cleethorpes and put the window down and stick your head out :wave: and hope to avoid getting the hot bits of burning ash/coal in your eyes as it flew past. Old habits die hard ,and I was to resurrect my spotting years later when I became one of the (then) members of the Eddie Stobart Fan Club. :( :thumbup:

What a small world! When we used to make regular and frequent long journeys up t'north Chris was also a member of the Eddie Stobart Club, it gave us something to do on the long drives. However, now I drive a car with hand controls, I tend to sit behind the 'heavies' with the car on cruise control - and so we hardly ever see a Stobart vehicle (except those travelling on the opposite carriageway and we can't read their numbers).
Geoff

Cruises Booked

judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Stan Deasy » 28 Jan 2017 20:58

Hi Geoff ,it gets worse !! Years ago ,every Saturday I used to travel from Doncaster to the Northeast accompanied by my 2 eldest children . In order to keep them entertained ,each of us would select a different commercial vehicle ,caravan ,or tanker lorry ,etc. or a combination of several different ones. Whoever "Spotted" the highest number was the winner. Obviously Eddie Stobart was a leading choice. I did toy with the idea of using the habit of having a girl's name painted(All Eddies wagons have a girls name painted on the drivers side door) as a part of my seduction technique . May and I still count Eddie wagons if we go on a long journey by road, such as Southampton ,and I think our best tally is about 65 on a four hour journey. A lorry pulling a trailer counts as two. Why am I telling you all this...how sad am I ??
Stan Deasy
Ship's Chaplain
Ship's Chaplain

Postby JC-Liverpool » 29 Jan 2017 11:02

Hi Stan
You would have a field day in my town.
We have a hugh depot called Stobart Ports,,,hundreds of Stobart wagons in and out 24/7.
JC
JC-Liverpool
Commander
Commander

Postby Stan Deasy » 29 Jan 2017 12:15

JC-Liverpool wrote:Hi Stan
You would have a field day in my town.
We have a hugh depot called Stobart Ports,,,hundreds of Stobart wagons in and out 24/7.
JC

Hi JC......when I used to talk to lorry drivers in the 70s, they used to say about Eddie Stobart....ALL FLASH NO CASH. They always looked smart in their uniforms ,and the wagons were smart, but Stobart did not pay top whack .Mind you ,old man Stobart who started the company in Carlisle ,was a Methodist lay preacher at one time .
Stan Deasy
Ship's Chaplain
Ship's Chaplain

Postby Trace » 31 Jan 2017 20:25

I always look at Eddie Stobart lorry names... Never see a Tracey Ann... :(
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Trace » 31 Jan 2017 20:35

Sorry... Back to topic.... Looks a fab cruise :)
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

PreviousNext