Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - A few questions about Viking river cruises

A few questions about Viking river cruises

Postby judgegeoff » 11 Mar 2017 19:02

Chris and myself are off on a Viking River Cruise voyage in just over two weeks, along the Rhone River in France. Although we have completed a fair number of sea cruises, it will be our first river cruise and we have a few questions that I am sure another forum member will be able to answer :-

(1) Do the Viking Longships (or the ports) have X-Ray machines like the sea ships? (I am assuming not).

(2) Will we be issued with plastic Sea Passes (River Passes?) that will act as ID for security and onboard purchases and open cabin doors like the big ships?

(3) Will our gratuities be automatically added to our shipboard accounts?

(4) Will our passports be held by the crew during the cruise or will we have them?

(5) Do suitcases have to be put outside the cabin the night before disembarkation? (I am assuming not). A brief description of the procedures with suitcases would be very useful.

I should add that our ship, the "Heimdal" is only 2 years old, so a very modern ship.

Many thanks in anticipation.
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: A few questions about Viking river cruises

Postby Camela » 11 Mar 2017 22:04

Geoff, can't answer the questions but hope you have a great time. I'm very attracted to a river cruise and the Jane MacDonald programme whetted the appetite. We enjoyed our transit of the Kiel Canal so I think a river has to be on our list of cruises to do.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
England

Postby judgegeoff » 11 Mar 2017 22:27

Camela wrote:Geoff, can't answer the questions but hope you have a great time. I'm very attracted to a river cruise and the Jane MacDonald programme whetted the appetite. We enjoyed our transit of the Kiel Canal so I think a river has to be on our list of cruises to do.

Agreed and thanks for your good wishes Camela. We had been thinking about it for a while when a Travel Agent phoned us and offered us the very last cabin on the ship at a very good rate, but we had to make up our minds there and then, as she said that she had Viking on the other line. As it included an excursion in every town (and two in one), complimentary wine or beer with lunch and dinner and free WiFi, we decided to go for it. It is perhaps a little early in the year, but it should be a little warmer in the south of France than in the UK. As usual, I will be doing cabin and cruise reviews and posting them soon after we return. Getting excited!!!! :)
Geoff

Cruises Booked

judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 11 Mar 2017 23:27

From what I can gather from our upcoming Phoenix Reisen cruise the situation with them is .............

judgegeoff wrote:Chris and myself are off on a Viking River Cruise voyage in just over two weeks, along the Rhone River in France. Although we have completed a fair number of sea cruises, it will be our first river cruise and we have a few questions that I am sure another forum member will be able to answer :-

(1) Do the Viking Longships (or the ports) have X-Ray machines like the sea ships? (I am assuming not). Nothing, you just walk on and off but you may have to cross a number of ships as they line up alongside each other

(2) Will we be issued with plastic Sea Passes (River Passes?) that will act as ID for security and onboard purchases and open cabin doors like the big ships? Our older ship has keys with weighty keyrings that you leave in a pigeon hole in reception. I assume a spiffy new ship like yours will have key cards

(3) Will our gratuities be automatically added to our shipboard accounts? Ours are included :thumbup:

(4) Will our passports be held by the crew during the cruise or will we have them? Only to register at the 'hotel' and will be returned as you will be sailing entirely within the Schengen area.

(5) Do suitcases have to be put outside the cabin the night before disembarkation? (I am assuming not). A brief description of the procedures with suitcases would be very useful. Don't know - we tend to take our luggage off with us¬

I should add that our ship, the "Heimdal" is only 2 years old, so a very modern ship.

April 18 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
December 18 - A-ROSA Aqua - Cologne - Mannheim - Kehl (Strasbourg) - Mainz - Cologne
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby judgegeoff » 11 Mar 2017 23:46

Many thanks Tom, useful information. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Geoff

Cruises Booked

judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 12 Mar 2017 09:16

judgegeoff wrote:Chris and myself are off on a Viking River Cruise voyage in just over two weeks, along the Rhone River in France. Although we have completed a fair number of sea cruises, it will be our first river cruise and we have a few questions that I am sure another forum member will be able to answer :-

(1) Do the Viking Longships (or the ports) have X-Ray machines like the sea ships? (I am assuming not).

(2) Will we be issued with plastic Sea Passes (River Passes?) that will act as ID for security and onboard purchases and open cabin doors like the big ships?

(4) Will our passports be held by the crew during the cruise or will we have them?

(5) Do suitcases have to be put outside the cabin the night before disembarkation? (I am assuming not). A brief description of the procedures with suitcases would be very useful.

Hi Geoff

We've done four river cruises (three with Viking) but haven't experienced a 'Longship' so my answers are only about our experiences...

There's far, far less security - no machines or body-searches. Walk on, walk off. Very civilised.

As far as I recall we've always had keys, although it's possible we had cards on one Viking ship. Keys are handed in at reception when you go ashore and collected on return. The key rack provides a simple visual check on who's on board. Reception is always by the main door so it's a very convenient system. We've never paid for anything on board a river cruise ship so that aspect of a card has been irrelevant (again, I think it's a very civilised style of cruising!).

There have been no gratuities in the ocean-ship sense - just a jar or box on the reception desk. All very... ;)

I don't recall ever handing in passports, but my wife deals with that sort of thing anyway!

As far as I remember you can take your suitcases yourself or get a crew member to carry them ashore for you.

I hope that helps, and have a great holiday! :wave:
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 12 Mar 2017 23:13

Dave wrote:

Hi Geoff

We've done four river cruises (three with Viking) but haven't experienced a 'Longship' so my answers are only about our experiences...

There's far, far less security - no machines or body-searches. Walk on, walk off. Very civilised.

As far as I recall we've always had keys, although it's possible we had cards on one Viking ship. Keys are handed in at reception when you go ashore and collected on return. The key rack provides a simple visual check on who's on board. Reception is always by the main door so it's a very convenient system. We've never paid for anything on board a river cruise ship so that aspect of a card has been irrelevant (again, I think it's a very civilised style of cruising!).

There have been no gratuities in the ocean-ship sense - just a jar or box on the reception desk. All very... ;)

I don't recall ever handing in passports, but my wife deals with that sort of thing anyway!

As far as I remember you can take your suitcases yourself or get a crew member to carry them ashore for you.

I hope that helps, and have a great holiday! :wave:

Many thanks for your informative reply Dave and your good wishes, they were much appreciated. :clap: It would appear that river cruising is a lot more relaxed than sea cruising and so I am looking forward to it even more now. :D
Geoff

Cruises Booked

judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Camela » 12 Mar 2017 23:29

These posts have reinforced that river cruising is relaxing without the intensity of sea cruises. Imagine not having to leave luggage outside on the last night and not the hassle of long lines of guests and security at ports.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
England