Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - The Magnificent Mekong with Viking River Cruises

The Magnificent Mekong with Viking River Cruises

Re: The Magnificent Mekong with Viking River Cruises

Postby Jimmy the One » 22 Aug 2012 17:18

Great Dave what memories for you both !!!!!!! :D
Jim
Im just a soul whose intentions are good Oh lord please dont let me be misunderstood

Jimmy the One
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby sevenseascoaster » 22 Aug 2012 19:25

Just Brilliant from start to finish, so interesting, great photos enjoyed every day of the blogs, thanks Dave and Fred for sharing them with us. :)
Wen

Tried 19 different Ships and many many cruises, and hopefully more to come!
I haven't been everywhere, but its on my list!
sevenseascoaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby tomvet » 22 Aug 2012 21:13

I found Thai Airways International to be a superb airline. I have flown twice with them to NZL and China both via Bangkok and they were top notch. I had heard so much about Singapore Airlines that when I went back to NZL I chose them over THAI and regretted it as they left a lot to be desired relative to THAI.
April 18 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
December 18 - A-ROSA Aqua - Cologne - Mannheim - Kehl (Strasbourg) - Mainz - Cologne
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby MikeBR » 27 Aug 2012 06:35

Wonderful post Dave,
My Daughter did it last year and had half talked us into it (You know we are Viking fans already) but after reading your posts and looking at pics & video the decision is now made we have to go in 2014.
Thanks again for a fantastic review. :clap:
Mike
MikeBR
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Dave » 27 Aug 2012 09:13

MikeBR wrote:Wonderful post Dave,
My Daughter did it last year and had half talked us into it (You know we are Viking fans already) but after reading your posts and looking at pics & video the decision is now made we have to go in 2014.
Thanks again for a fantastic review. :clap:
Mike

Hi Mike, it's good to hear from you again. If you do book, don't forget to mention you were influenced by a review on Cruising Mates! ;)
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby MikeBR » 27 Aug 2012 10:07

Do I hear extra discounts for members? :lol: Not that I grudge a penny to Viking as like you I think they give excellent value for money and as I found out in the terrible weather in December 2010 they go way beyond what I have ever experienced with any other company.
Yes have been a bit quiet of late after coming back from Venice to a Flash Flood and 50cm of water pouring through the house at the beginning of July. Now in residence in a mobile home at the foot of the garden while all floors & walls in the house have been removed. Reinstatement starts Wednesday now that it is dry and hopefully will be back in mid November. We were thinking the place was looking a bit dated and in need of redecoration anyway. :shh:
MikeBR
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Dave » 27 Aug 2012 10:43

MikeBR wrote:Do I hear extra discounts for members? :lol: Not that I grudge a penny to Viking as like you I think they give excellent value for money and as I found out in the terrible weather in December 2010 they go way beyond what I have ever experienced with any other company.
Yes have been a bit quiet of late after coming back from Venice to a Flash Flood and 50cm of water pouring through the house at the beginning of July. Now in residence in a mobile home at the foot of the garden while all floors & walls in the house have been removed. Reinstatement starts Wednesday now that it is dry and hopefully will be back in mid November. We were thinking the place was looking a bit dated and in need of redecoration anyway. :shh:

Blimey Mike, that sounds awful and I'm amazed you can look on the bright side. I'll look into the idea of extra discounts... ;)
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby bobbyoscar » 27 Aug 2012 11:34

You poor thing :( , hope it won't be too long before your house is sorted.

Cruises booked:
October 2018 – P & O Oriana - Cadiz - Catania - Corigliano Calabro – Venice –Zadar - Dubrovnik - Kotor - Corfu - Gibraltar
February 2019 – P & O Aurora - Andalsnes – Tromso – Alta – Stavanger
September 2019 - P & O Azura - Malaga -Messina - Mykonos - Piraeus - Santorini - Katakolon - Gibraltar
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Dave » 28 Aug 2012 12:28

Dave wrote:
grannyM wrote:Thanks for that brilliant 'summing-up' of your trip Dave. I think you're last comments about how that whole region was literally ignored by the Western powers when they left them in a worse state than when they arrived, to supposedly 'save' them, spot on. A truly shameful period of history and as you said not the first time the people were subjected to a foreign power. I do fear that China may be the next oppressors.:(

As much as I love your photos of the temples and historic sites I did think that the trips to the villages to see and meet the ordinary people is what I would have enjoyed the most. :)

I like to talk to people to try to get some idea of what life is like in the places we visit and I usually do some research when we get home (although rarely before we go). The other day I bought a 6-DVD box set on the Vietnam War (and watched the lot the same afternoon) and The Killing Fields, which we'll watch soon. After our Elbe cruise at Easter I realised I knew little of the history of the Czech Republic so I read everything I could find on Wikipedia when we got back!

We watched The Killing Fields and, if you've not seen it, I can highly recommend it. The film isn't about Cambodia as such - it's based on a true story about the relationship between two journalists caught up in the events in that country. It does give a moving account of life under the Khmer Rouge though.

I've also just finished reading a book I bought from a man at Angkor (which I never expected to read!). It's called The Pol Pot Regime: Race, Power, and Genocide in Cambodia under the Khmer Rouge, 1975-79 (Ben Kiernan). It wasn't an easy read because it contains a great many personal accounts from the author's interviews, but I can recommend it if you're interested in what can happen to people in small countries when the big ones play their power games.
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

The Magnificent Mekong with Viking River Cruises

Postby Dave » 15 Feb 2013 19:45

I've just found this official Viking video on YouTube. :D

Dave