Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - The Magnificent Mekong with Viking River Cruises

The Magnificent Mekong with Viking River Cruises

Postby JollyJill » 15 Feb 2013 20:06

Dave wrote:I've just found this official Viking video on YouTube. :D

It looks fantastic Dave. We are very much looking forward to our first joint river cruise in Russia with Viking. :)

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: The Magnificent Mekong with Viking River Cruises

Postby cruisefranks » 27 Jan 2014 20:32

Thanks for the amazing post Dave. Those are some of the most amazing pictures. I would love to experience the view in person. We have never booked with Viking before, but we want to book a cruise for next year during the summer. We have been doing research on different options and tours that they offer, and we found your thread while researching cruises in the orient. I would love to place my hand on the roots of that tree. It is amazing to consider how long that structure has been there considering the size of the roots. It appears to have been an incredible tour.
Have you seen this review http://10luxurycruises.com/?
cruisefranks

Postby Dave » 28 Jan 2014 12:24

cruisefranks wrote:Thanks for the amazing post Dave. Those are some of the most amazing pictures. I would love to experience the view in person. We have never booked with Viking before, but we want to book a cruise for next year during the summer. We have been doing research on different options and tours that they offer, and we found your thread while researching cruises in the orient. I would love to place my hand on the roots of that tree. It is amazing to consider how long that structure has been there considering the size of the roots. It appears to have been an incredible tour.

It was a fantastic experience that we'll never forget. Thanks for reading! :thumbup:
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 16 Jan 2015 21:40

I've just come across this excellent video (Pandaw Cruises have just started following us on Twitter and I saw the video in a tweet). It's a different company but the ship is extremely similar to the one we were on and we saw many of the same places. It seems a long time ago now and it was nice to be reminded of the fantastic time we had. :D

Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby JollyJill » 16 Nov 2015 12:08

Dave wrote:
JollyJill wrote:It truly sounds wonderful. I almost wish that we had booked your cruise for next year instead of the Moscow to St Petersburg one.

Oh well, maybe 2014 eh? :)

Isn't that the great thing about cruising Jill? - there's always another 'must-see' place to visit! Your Russian cruise is definitely on our to-do list... :)

Well, we didn't get to do it in 2014 or 2015. We wonlt be doing it next year either due to our long cruise around Africa.

Having had the OK from P re the long haul flights though (Wen & P are my witnesses ;) ), I am investigating the possibility of doing this cruise in 2017. :D

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 16 Nov 2015 15:47

JollyJill wrote:
Dave wrote:
JollyJill wrote:It truly sounds wonderful. I almost wish that we had booked your cruise for next year instead of the Moscow to St Petersburg one.

Oh well, maybe 2014 eh? :)

Isn't that the great thing about cruising Jill? - there's always another 'must-see' place to visit! Your Russian cruise is definitely on our to-do list... :)

Well, we didn't get to do it in 2014 or 2015. We wonlt be doing it next year either due to our long cruise around Africa.

Having had the OK from P re the long haul flights though (Wen & P are my witnesses ;) ), I am investigating the possibility of doing this cruise in 2017. :D

Funnily enough, I was just browsing a Russian river cruise website... ;)

But anyway, this stay-cruise with Viking was an absolutely wonderful adventure and I can't recommend it highly enough. The three hotels were all very different but all top class, and the cruise part was fantastic. The flights with Thai Airways were long, but relatively very comfortable.
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby JollyJill » 16 Nov 2015 15:52

But anyway, this stay-cruise with Viking was an absolutely wonderful adventure and I can't recommend it highly enough. The three hotels were all very different but all top class, and the cruise part was fantastic. The flights with Thai Airways were long, but relatively very comfortable.

I have been looking at the best time to go Dave. I know that you have to go in school hols but we could go any time.
It appeared that in July, it was very hot and humid, so I am wondering if would be better to go later in the year. :think:

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 16 Nov 2015 16:09

JollyJill wrote:

I have been looking at the best time to go Dave. I know that you have to go in school hols but we could go any time.
It appeared that in July, it was very hot and humid, so I am wondering if would be better to go later in the year. :think:

It was hot Jill, but it was how we like it and we certainly never found it uncomfortable. I guess the temperature was much like the Caribbean at Christmas, but with occasional warm rain. 8-)

(I think the highest temperature we've ever experienced on a cruise was when we visited the pyramids and the Sphinx at Giza - in August. That was hot!)
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby JollyJill » 16 Nov 2015 16:49

Dave wrote:
JollyJill wrote:

It was hot Jill, but it was how we like it and we certainly never found it uncomfortable. I guess the temperature was much like the Caribbean at Christmas, but with occasional warm rain. 8-)

(I think the highest temperature we've ever experienced on a cruise was when we visited the pyramids and the Sphinx at Giza - in August. That was hot!)

The hottest temperatures I ever experienced was also in Egypt. It was 40c plus!

I will take advice on the best month to do the Mekong cruise but from what you say, I am sure we will cope. :)

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 16 Nov 2015 18:10

I was browsing the CroisiEurope website and I came across this video. I think it gives an excellent flavour of what a Mekong cruise is like. Their prices look very good too, but they don't seem to include flights so I don't know what the whole package would cost.

Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

PreviousNext