Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Viking TV ad.

Viking TV ad.

Viking TV ad.

Postby Dave » 03 Feb 2013 15:23

A great taste of river cruising. :thumbup:

Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Viking TV ad.

Postby bobbyoscar » 03 Feb 2013 16:14

Last week, I lost count of the number of times I saw the Viking ad - looks fab (unlike the Carnival ad :thumbdown: ) .

Cruises booked:
October 2018 – P & O Oriana - Cadiz - Catania - Corigliano Calabro – Venice –Zadar - Dubrovnik - Kotor - Corfu - Gibraltar
February 2019 – P & O Aurora - Andalsnes – Tromso – Alta – Stavanger
September 2019 - P & O Azura - Malaga -Messina - Mykonos - Piraeus - Santorini - Katakolon - Gibraltar
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Viking TV ad.

Postby grannyM » 04 Feb 2013 12:00

Hmmm! very nice indeed. I hadn't seen it so thanks for that Dave.:)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: Viking TV ad.

Postby bobbyboy » 04 Feb 2013 13:43

That must be a good advert as it even tempts me. The drinks with dinner and stopping in cities where you can just get off and wander are two very appealing points. Do you have to pay for any drinks, ie. pre and after-dinner or lunch time and is wine at meals limited to a glass or two? If there is entertainment offered, is there a place where you can escape it and get a drink in a quieter place?

I would still miss the space and choices offered by a cruise ship though. Is it possible to get a table for two on these vessels, Dave?

Bob :)
bobbyboy
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Viking TV ad.

Postby Dave » 04 Feb 2013 14:08

bobbyboy wrote:That must be a good advert as it even tempts me. The drinks with dinner and stopping in cities where you can just get off and wander are two very appealing points. Do you have to pay for any drinks, ie. pre and after-dinner or lunch time and is wine at meals limited to a glass or two? If there is entertainment offered, is there a place where you can escape it and get a drink in a quieter place?

I would still miss the space and choices offered by a cruise ship though. Is it possible to get a table for two on these vessels, Dave?

We've only done two Viking river cruises so far Bob (our third is in eight weeks' time :D ) so my experience is limited, and we're only light drinkers.

On the both cruises there wasn't any limit to what you could have with meals. Staff would ask if you'd like more throughout the meals. I tended to ask for a local beer and one would be fetched from the bar.

On the Elbe cruise, other than at mealtimes drinks had to be bought at the bar, although decent coffee and bottled water were always available and free.

On the Mekong cruise, all drinks (including cocktails) were always free! :thumbup: :D

Entertainment is very limited. It's very like the quiet lounge with a pianist on an ocean cruise. In fact, river cruising is very quiet altogether. There's no engine noise and people tend to be more refined anyway... :lol:

We haven't seen tables for two in the main restaurants. The dress code is always relaxed, and meals are open seating. Dinner is only served in the dining room, but lunch can be taken in the lounge if you prefer and there are plenty of tables for two there (it's a sort-of buffet but food is also cooked in situ).

Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Viking TV ad.

Postby grannyM » 04 Feb 2013 14:37

Thanks for that Dave and thanks Glynis for asking the questions. I don't mean to be nit-picking as we really fancy some of the river cruise itineraries but must admit both these answers are what have put us off.

Firstly we rarely drink wine or beer with our meals usually just water. Our usual would be a couple of drinks pre-dinner and one or perhaps two later. So it seems like quite expensive if we had to add a bar bill. For us a table for two is always preferable.

Also I'm not sure we would want to always be on a group tour in ports as our experience of that on cruise ships has not been as enjoyable as DIY. :?
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Viking TV ad.

Postby Dave » 04 Feb 2013 15:54

grannyM wrote:Thanks for that Dave and thanks Glynis for asking the questions. I don't mean to be nit-picking as we really fancy some of the river cruise itineraries but must admit both these answers are what have put us off.

Firstly we rarely drink wine or beer with our meals usually just water. Our usual would be a couple of drinks pre-dinner and one or perhaps two later. So it seems like quite expensive if we had to add a bar bill. For us a table for two is always preferable.

Also I'm not sure we would want to always be on a group tour in ports as our experience of that on cruise ships has not been as enjoyable as DIY. :?

I can't speak for Viking Marie, but we've found them to be very accommodating regarding drinks. On the Mekong cruise for example, I mentioned that we didn't drink much alcohol (which was free) but like espressos (which weren't free). It wasn't a problem and we were able to have espressos whenever we wanted - the cruise director would often stop and ask us if she could bring us one. Ah, the beauty of small ships! ;)

Regarding tours: These are entirely optional and many are walking tours close to where the ship has docked (imagine docking near Tower Bridge), so it's usually quite possible to wander off on your own if you get bored. Also, because you have a radio earpiece you can be a long way from the guide but still know where the main group is.
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Viking TV ad.

Postby grannyM » 04 Feb 2013 18:31

Thanks for that Dave. We do fancy trying one especially from what you've said about the whole Viking attention to detail and service. :)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Viking TV ad.

Postby bobbyboy » 05 Feb 2013 02:20

grannyM wrote:Thanks for that Dave and thanks Glynis for asking the questions. I don't mean to be nit-picking as we really fancy some of the river cruise itineraries but must admit both these answers are what have put us off.

Hi Marie,

I prefer to be known as Bob now. I haven't been called Glynis since I was a little girl :o

Thanks from me too Dave. These cruises really look nice but I'm not sure they're for me yet. I'm not quite refined enough, and if I can't wave my napkin above my head during the Baked Alaska Parade then I just don't think I'd enjoy myself ;)

bobbyboy
Commodore
Commodore

Viking TV ad.

Postby Dave » 05 Feb 2013 07:02

bobbyboy wrote:

Hi Marie,

I prefer to be known as Bob now. I haven't been called Glynis since I was a little girl :o

Thanks from me too Dave. These cruises really look nice but I'm not sure they're for me yet. I'm not quite refined enough, and if I can't wave my napkin above my head during the Baked Alaska Parade then I just don't think I'd enjoy myself ;)

In that case I definitely think it's Marco Polo for you Bob:

(Not a good photo, but the only one I have of the Baked Alaska Parade. Lots of napkin waving!)
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Next