Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - VIKING SMASHES GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS™

VIKING SMASHES GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS™

VIKING SMASHES GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS™

Postby Dave » 22 Mar 2013 12:18

I feel a little guilty that I didn't post this immediately when I received the official press release direct from Viking, but better late than never. :oops:

Amsterdam plays host to the biggest river cruise naming ceremony ever.

London (March 21, 2013) – The world’s leading river cruise line, Viking River Cruises (http://www.vikingrivercruises.co.uk) has today broken the GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS™ title for ‘The Most Ships Inaugurated in One Day by One Company’.

The first‐of‐its‐kind simultaneous naming ceremony in Amsterdam, debuted the ships – Viking Atla, Viking Bragi, Viking Forseti, Viking Jarl, Viking Rinda, Viking Skadi, Viking Tor, Viking Var, Viking Aegir and Viking Embla.

Playing an integral role in the event were 10 distinguished women from around the world - all representing important aspects of the Viking brand encompassing history, art, education, exploration and discovery - each serving as ceremonial godmothers for the new ships.

Today is a proud day for Viking and for river cruising. We are honoured to showcase 10 of our revolutionary new Longships and to have had such a celebrated group of women helping us christen them,” said Torstein Hagen, Chairman of Viking River Cruises. “Our guests are explorers, just like the ancient Vikings of our Norse heritage, which is why we deliver authentic and enriching travel experiences like no other cruise line.

Guests at the christening ceremony enjoyed remarks by each godmother and presentations by Hagen and Yran & Storbraaten, the celebrated maritime architects and Viking Longship designers. A GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS™ adjudicator also presented Hagen with an official recognition of their record breaking achievement, ‘The Most Ships Inaugurated in One Day by One Company – eight’ – breaking the previous record of two ships. A first in modern history, six of the christenings took place in front of a crowd of approximately 500 in Amsterdam, and the remaining four were conducted live via satellite from the Neptun shipyard in Germany. The celebration concluded with an on board dinner and maiden voyage cruise around the Amsterdam harbour.

In 2014, Viking plans to break its own record with the launch of 12 new Longships, and the company’s newly‐christened ships will sail the line’s most popular European itineraries: Tulips & Windmills (10 days, Amsterdam‐Antwerp‐Amsterdam); Passage to Eastern Europe (11 days, Budapest‐Bucharest); Romantic Danube (8 days, Budapest‐Nuremberg); Grand European Tour.
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: VIKING SMASHES GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS™

Postby cruisefranks » 27 Jan 2014 20:39

Think about that for a moment. In all of history, no other company has built and placed that many ships into port in a single day, in the entire history of ship building. It is impressive to consider how progressive, and profitable the river tour industry is. I can understand why these cruises are growing so quickly in popularity. The name of the company is brilliant to begin as Vikings once navigated all over Europe. The Vikings navigated the same rivers and major cities that Viking River Cruises also navigate. I can see the allure to visit major cities around various parts of the world, as well as the countryside and beauty of these different countries.
Have you seen this review http://10luxurycruises.com/?
cruisefranks

Return to Viking