Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Rolling on the rivers

Rolling on the rivers

Re: Rolling on the rivers

Postby JollyJill » 01 Jun 2013 11:23

Dave wrote:
JollyJill wrote:WI have just received an email from Viking reminding those that want to book one of their cruises for 2014 have until the end of June in order to get a £1,000 discount.

We have looked at the itineraries and both fancy the Douro cruise. For me it will be a great opportunity to spend a couple of days in Lisbon, which is on my 'to do' list and Plunky fancies to see the region of the Douro.

From what I have read so far, we will not go too early because of the water levels problem in Spring time. I also don't like very hot weather. Has anyone experience of this region of Portugal in June or September? It might help us make up our minds when to book.

Hi Jill

Much as I like Viking, I take their 'discounts' with a pinch of salt. Every Viking cruise I've ever seen advertised anywhere has included this discount! The 'Save £1000' has appeared in every mailout, brochure and newsletter, and on their website for as long as I've been following them. ;)

Of course I don't want to be responsible for you missing a huge saving, so... This is just in my experience!

Actually Dave, I've looked ore closely at the availability and price of this itinerary.As always, it was advertised at the cheapest price of £1,095 pp but the cheapest available now is in December 2014 which is not for us. Failing that, they have availibilty in July and August which would probably be too hot for me and at a cost of 1,895pp.

Oh well, it was worth a look.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby MikeBR » 03 Jun 2013 10:39

Dave wrote:
JollyJill wrote:WI have just received an email from Viking reminding those that want to book one of their cruises for 2014 have until the end of June in order to get a £1,000 discount.

We have looked at the itineraries and both fancy the Douro cruise. For me it will be a great opportunity to spend a couple of days in Lisbon, which is on my 'to do' list and Plunky fancies to see the region of the Douro.

From what I have read so far, we will not go too early because of the water levels problem in Spring time. I also don't like very hot weather. Has anyone experience of this region of Portugal in June or September? It might help us make up our minds when to book.

Hi Jill

Much as I like Viking, I take their 'discounts' with a pinch of salt. Every Viking cruise I've ever seen advertised anywhere has included this discount! The 'Save £1000' has appeared in every mailout, brochure and newsletter, and on their website for as long as I've been following them. ;)

Of course I don't want to be responsible for you missing a huge saving, so... This is just in my experience!

Hi Jill,
As Dave has already said you always get a minimum off £1000 discount. It has become like the perpetual 'Sofa' sales and makes sure they have got a nice wedge of 'Your Money' in there bank account for almost a year to service the very large financial burden they have given themselves in building all the new ships.
However I am now getting increasingly frustrated with Viking delaying at every turn my complaint about our Douro Cruise, where SAGA paid out a full refund within 10 days. Prior to getting taken into hospital for my replacement knee I was assured by Mark Padgett of Viking that I would have a letter within a week about what they were offering me as compensation. That week has long gone and after phoning them this morning have been told it was being dealt with and I would just have to wait. This is not the Viking I used to Love and wax lyrical about and I suspect they have over stretched themselves financially and that is why they tried to go ahead with the Douro cruise, unlike their competitors who gave passengers the option of a full refund.
MikeBR
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby JollyJill » 03 Jun 2013 14:18

MikeBR wrote:
Dave wrote:

Hi Jill

Hi Jill,
As Dave has already said you always get a minimum off £1000 discount. It has become like the perpetual 'Sofa' sales and makes sure they have got a nice wedge of 'Your Money' in there bank account for almost a year to service the very large financial burden they have given themselves in building all the new ships.
However I am now getting increasingly frustrated with Viking delaying at every turn my complaint about our Douro Cruise, where SAGA paid out a full refund within 10 days. Prior to getting taken into hospital for my replacement knee I was assured by Mark Padgett of Viking that I would have a letter within a week about what they were offering me as compensation. That week has long gone and after phoning them this morning have been told it was being dealt with and I would just have to wait. This is not the Viking I used to Love and wax lyrical about and I suspect they have over stretched themselves financially and that is why they tried to go ahead with the Douro cruise, unlike their competitors who gave passengers the option of a full refund.

I hope you get some satisfaction from Saga soon Mike. You could be right about them over stretching themselves. They didn't leave much margin for error did they?

We have shelved the idea of another Viking cruise for now as we think we were misled by th pricing in the email. When a company is stating a FROM price, you don't expect all the availability at that price to be fully booked on the day you received the email. :(

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby MikeBR » 03 Jun 2013 14:55

Hi,
It's Not Saga I'm have problems with it's VIKING. Saga were doing the same cruise at the same time but notified all passengers and gave them full refund the day before they left the UK because they thought the cruise would turn into a 'Bus Trip' which it did with Viking. Viking with the same information decided to go ahead with it, But it didn't cruise apart from about 6 hours with some terrible long bus trips and the ship moored in the middle of nowhere for most of the week.
Having sung the praises of Viking in the past, the way the have treated their guests and been so 'Economic' with the truth that they should rename themselves 'Scrooge Cruises' I would never trust them again.
MikeBR
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby JollyJill » 03 Jun 2013 15:36

MikeBR wrote:Hi,
It's Not Saga I'm have problems with it's VIKING. Saga were doing the same cruise at the same time but notified all passengers and gave them full refund the day before they left the UK because they thought the cruise would turn into a 'Bus Trip' which it did with Viking. Viking with the same information decided to go ahead with it, But it didn't cruise apart from about 6 hours with some terrible long bus trips and the ship moored in the middle of nowhere for most of the week.
Having sung the praises of Viking in the past, the way the have treated their guests and been so 'Economic' with the truth that they should rename themselves 'Scrooge Cruises' I would never trust them again.

Sorry Mike, I did read your post properly, I meant to say Viking and not Saga. :oops:

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby MikeBR » 03 Jun 2013 18:59

No probs Jolly Jill,
Having had my new knee fitted 6 days ago I have nothing better to do with my time but sit in front of my computer in between Physio and letting the world make more informed decisions on future holidays :twisted:
Mike
MikeBR
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
Scotland

Previous