Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - A question about organised Viking River Excursions

A question about organised Viking River Excursions

Postby Hannah » 31 Mar 2015 10:10

How strenuous are the inclusive excursions. Do they cater well for slow walkers or are they quite fast. My fitness levels are not what they once were and am worried about keeping up or not bothering. We plan to do Danube trip in April. Hungary..Slovakia, Austria and Germany. I am not concerned about the 2 days we are DIY in Budapest as we can go at our own pace. Thanks
ImageImage
Hannah
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby JollyJill » 31 Mar 2015 10:25

Hannah wrote:How strenuous are the inclusive excursions. Do they cater well for slow walkers or are they quite fast. My fitness levels are not what they once were and am worried about keeping up or not bothering. We plan to do Danube trip in April. Hungary..Slovakia, Austria and Germany. I am not concerned about the 2 days we are DIY in Budapest as we can go at our own pace. Thanks

We have only done one Viking river cruise and that was in Russia.

From what I remember, the included excursions in both Moscow and Petersburg covered a lot of ground as you would expect and so were pretty tiring.
The other stops along the way though were much more leisurely and could be done at your own pace.

If you look at the included excursions for your chosen trip Shirley, you should get some idea of what's involved and if they will suit you.
Hope this helps.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: A question about organised Viking River Excursions

Postby Hannah » 31 Mar 2015 10:41

Thanks Jill. Yes we have info but good to know of first hand experiences. Might have to have a word with Viking and guides.
ImageImage
Hannah
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 31 Mar 2015 14:53

We've done three Viking river cruises and I can't remember any being at all strenuous. In fact I'd say they tended to be more gentle and cover less distance than ocean cruise excursions. One thing that is very different from 'normal' excursions is the evening ones - you might moor by a small village and be invited on a guided stroll.
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Hannah » 31 Mar 2015 17:08

Thanks Dave that is reassuring.
ImageImage
Hannah
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby MikeBR » 29 Apr 2015 16:23

We did this cruise during December 2010, remember Snow, Snow, Quick Quick Snow and loved it. We did not find any of the excursions hard and at the time I was still pre left knee replacement. The tour manager asked us to sort ourselves out into how 'Fast ' we thought we were and it worked with the local guides (normally about 6 of them) who took us out on these trips making sure the tours were at a pace suitable to those present.
When you get your finally itinerary it will list all included excursions and additional optional with a grade from 1 to 3 on how difficult they have assessed it at to make your decision.
MikeBR
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Hannah » 30 Apr 2015 09:16

Thanks. We found the trips ok in the end and took a wheelchair. Any difficulties we had I stayed on board the coach or sat out the hilly walking bits Mainly to give OH a break. In Salzburg they split up the fast walkers and people with mobility issues which worked very well. On one occasion we did the walk by ourselves because of waiting for rain to stop
Viking were very helpful to us at all times from beginning to end of the cruise. I am pleased to say we didn't miss any prepaid excursions and had a good time.
ImageImage
Hannah
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 30 Apr 2015 09:40

Hannah wrote:Thanks. We found the trips ok in the end and took a wheelchair. Any difficulties we had I stayed on board the coach or sat out the hilly walking bits Mainly to give OH a break. In Salzburg they split up the fast walkers and people with mobility issues which worked very well. On one occasion we did the walk by ourselves because of waiting for rain to stop
Viking were very helpful to us at all times from beginning to end of the cruise. I am pleased to say we didn't miss any prepaid excursions and had a good time.

So pleased that you managed the excursions and enjoyed them. I like the idea of dividing the excursionists into 'hares' and 'tortoises' (especially as I am now in the latter category!). Sometimes, in the past, I have had to push myself to go a little faster than I would have wished, to avoid holding other people up, which can be very tiring. I must look a little further into river cruising! :)
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020 (now virtual)
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Hannah » 30 Apr 2015 14:36

judgegeoff wrote:
Hannah wrote:Thanks. We found the trips ok in the end and took a wheelchair. Any difficulties we had I stayed on board the coach or sat out the hilly walking bits Mainly to give OH a break. In Salzburg they split up the fast walkers and people with mobility issues which worked very well. On one occasion we did the walk by ourselves because of waiting for rain to stop

So pleased that you managed the excursions and enjoyed them. I like the idea of dividing the excursionists into 'hares' and 'tortoises' (especially as I am now in the latter category!). Sometimes, in the past, I have had to push myself to go a little faster than I would have wished, to avoid holding other people up, which can be very tiring. I must look a little further into river cruising! :)

That's how a lot of us thought Geoff. In Salzburg there were 3 of us in wheelchairs, several with walking sticks and another on crutches. We had a very patient guide who didn't rush off leaving anyone behind or struggling. We did the same as the other tour but missing out all the steps.

Also they were quite happy to let you sit on the coach if you couldn't manage everything or pick you up at the bus stop where you were dropped off so you could do your own thing at own pace.That way at least you got a ride out. Help was forthcoming with wheelchair access and luggage upon embarkation and disembarkation. Assisted travel via KLM was also excellent as I have already mentioned. We have had experience of this in the past when we used to take my 92 year old father fly/cruising so knew the ropes.
ImageImage
Hannah
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom