Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Mini break in Scotland: Isle of Barra and Glasgow

Mini break in Scotland: Isle of Barra and Glasgow

...whether cruise-related or not.

Postby Dave » 17 May 2015 11:24

Toongirl wrote:...
I do have 4 or 5 photos of our plane and hotel but I don't know how to post photos but can say that Barra would be beautiful in sunshine but other than the beach and walking there isn't anything else. I had hoped to see starry skies but there was too much cloud!

Angela

I'm always happy to post photos that are emailed to me... ;)

I love Scotland and it has always been my favourite part of the UK (no offence to separatists!). My favourite parts of Scotland are the remoter parts in the north, and the islands. But although I've always wanted to visit the Outer Hebrides I haven't yet. I did see them in the distance once though - from the west of Skye!

Our last actual holiday in Scotland was in 2002 when we went by motorbike and camped in a small tent (something we couldn't imagine doing nowadays!). This is us somewhere between Whitstable and our first camp site at Scone:

We spent a couple of weeks touring the Highlands and Islands, with our longest stop being at Poolewe - where the midges were really bad! Here we are heading for one of my favourite places of all: Applecross...

Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Mini break in Scotland: Isle of Barra and Glasgow

Postby Toongirl » 17 May 2015 14:46

Thank you, Dave. I've sent 4 or 5 if that's ok.

Dave: "All done! I've changed the poster's name to you so you can edit / add to the post if you wish."
Toongirl
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Toongirl » 17 May 2015 17:00

View from our bedroom window (Isle of Barra):

Bad weather on Barra:

Our teeny plane:

Hotel Du Vin Glasgow:

Our flight!:
Toongirl
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Toongirl » 17 May 2015 17:43

Thank you, Dave.
Toongirl
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 17 May 2015 18:13

Great photos Angela. I think what happened to you has happened to us so many times, get iffy weather during our holidays and the sun shines the day we are leaving! I am intrigued though how the water around the Scottish Isles still appears blue even with grey skies!
I must get the map out now and find out where Barra actually is :oops:
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Tiggy » 17 May 2015 18:34

Great pictures of Barra but the first one looks more like Barbados...... :lol:
Tiggy
Tiggy
Chief Purrser
Chief Purrser

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Tiggy » 17 May 2015 18:43

Dave wrote:
Toongirl wrote:...
I do have 4 or 5 photos of our plane and hotel but I don't know how to post photos but can say that Barra would be beautiful in sunshine but other than the beach and walking there isn't anything else. I had hoped to see starry skies but there was too much cloud!

Angela

I'm always happy to post photos that are emailed to me... ;)

I love Scotland and it has always been my favourite part of the UK (no offence to separatists!). My favourite parts of Scotland are the remoter parts in the north, and the islands. But although I've always wanted to visit the Outer Hebrides I haven't yet. I did see them in the distance once though - from the west of Skye!

Our last actual holiday in Scotland was in 2002 when we went by motorbike and camped in a small tent (something we couldn't imagine doing nowadays!). This is us somewhere between Whitstable and our first camp site at Scone:

We spent a couple of weeks touring the Highlands and Islands, with our longest stop being at Poolewe - where the midges were really bad! Here we are heading for one of my favourite places of all: Applecross...

Did you ever see this programme Dave
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00jgynr
Monty Halls and his beautiful dog Reuben lived in a cottage in Applecross and made his Great Escapes programme - wonderful
Tiggy
Tiggy
Chief Purrser
Chief Purrser

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby sevenseascoaster » 19 May 2015 17:43

It all sounded and looked lovely Angela, shame about the weather though. Would love to see Barra, but not if it meant travelling in that wee plane and taking off from a beach :D
Wen

Tried 19 different Ships and many many cruises, and hopefully more to come!
I haven't been everywhere, but its on my list!
sevenseascoaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Previous