Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - QUESTION REGARDING TAXIS IN SOUTHAMPTON PORT

QUESTION REGARDING TAXIS IN SOUTHAMPTON PORT

...whether cruise-related or not.

Postby adogap » 03 May 2014 21:04

We will require a taxi to take us from port to airport in Southampton in July. I’m not sure if we should book a taxi to meet us at the cruise terminal or try to hire one when we disembark. I have left plenty of time to get to the airport so won’t be in a rush. We have never been to Southampton before so would appreciate some advice please. Thank you :?

Chris
Baltic Cities, Balmoral, June 2018
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Mungo » 03 May 2014 22:01

There are taxis outside the terminals. The Southampton city taxis are white. Always seem to be some but plenty of people queuing for them. We've used taxis before when doing Stay and cruise parking deals. Always have them booked and have the taxi number to phone shortly before disembarking.

This company apparently is the main one at Southampton airport. Can get quotes etc. Might be of use. :)

http://www.checkercars.com/Southampton%20Airport%20Taxi.html

Umm..... Just tried and cost seems quite steep, although don't use taxis often. :oops:
Aurora October 2019
Britannia March 2020
Arcadia December 2020
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby adogap » 03 May 2014 23:25

Many thanks Mungo. Price is OK and I have arranged to call with them when we land at the airport day before embarkation.They will take us to hotel and bring us back from the ship. Just need to decide on which of the ships tours now!
Thanks for your help :D

Chris
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Mungo » 04 May 2014 10:13

Glad to be of help Chris. :D

Did you use the Live Chat facility on their website?
Aurora October 2019
Britannia March 2020
Arcadia December 2020
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: QUESTION REGARDING TAXIS IN SOUTHAMPTON PORT

Postby adogap » 04 May 2014 12:21

I tried to on line chat but it was disabled. Got a phone no from the airport. They do appear to have an on line booking system but as someone will be available when we arrive at the airport will arrange both journeys then. Total cost will be around £50. I'm not sure what time Balmoral arrives back or which terminal she berths in but from what I hear about FO, they tend to kick you off the ship very early.

Chris
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Wansbrough » 04 May 2014 17:00

As the others have said, there are white taxis at the rank outside the cruise terminal and there is a fixed charge from the terminal to the airport. Last time we did this which was April 2013 it was £25. No need to pre book. :D
Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tobysgranny » 04 May 2014 17:16

Hi there, Just got off the Adventure OTS this morning at Southampton and don't worry about taxis as there are dozens pulling in all the time. Picking one up at the port shouldn't be a problem

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby khkate » 05 May 2014 17:22

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk sorry, really can't get this link to be clickable for some unknown reason!!

The above website which is the cruise schedule for Southampton should help you work out which terminal your cruise ship will be departing to/from. Looks like it goes from Berth 102 and returns to Mayslower. This can change right up to the day, but I am sure the taxis that use the Cruise Tetrminals on a regular basis will be well informed as to what ships are where on any given day.
Future Cruises - Canaries, Europe, Norway, UK
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby grannyM » 05 May 2014 18:00

khkate wrote:http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk sorry, really can't get this link to be clickable for some unknown reason!!

The above website which is the cruise schedule for Southampton should help you work out which terminal your cruise ship will be departing to/from. Looks like it goes from Berth 102 and returns to Mayslower. This can change right up to the day, but I am sure the taxis that use the Cruise Tetrminals on a regular basis will be well informed as to what ships are where on any given day.

Lesley, I've made the link clickable. I don't think you were doing anything wrong but the missing 'http://' came up when I deleted your www.address and reposted it. :?
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: QUESTION REGARDING TAXIS IN SOUTHAMPTON PORT

Postby adogap » 11 May 2014 10:22

Thank you for your replies. The link to Southampton Port is really useful, it also tells me that Cunard Queen Victoria arrives at the same time as Balmoral. We may see if we can change our flight and stay another day in Southampton. There does seem to be a lot to see in that area and we have never been before.

Chris
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Next