Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Le Gîte de la Péreire

Le Gîte de la Péreire

Le Gîte de la Péreire

Postby Dave » 29 Oct 2017 13:54

We've just returned from a week staying in a delightful gîte (holiday accommodation) in the village of Chadrat near Clermont Ferrand in the Auvergne. We found it by browsing for somewhere to rent near the village of Saint Saturnin where my wife's family lives.

This is the description from the website for the accommodation https://www.legitedelapereire.fr:

Ouvert toute l'année le gîte de la Péreire se situe à Chadrat sur la commune de Saint Saturnin, l'un des " Plus Beaux Village de France", au coeur des Volcans d'Auvergne à 15 minutes de Clermont Ferrand . Cette ancienne grange, entièrement restaurée, vous assurera calme et tranquilité.

The 3D view in Google Maps is brilliant in these situations. Studying the map showed us exactly what to expect...

The house is on the edge of Chadrat, an old, picturesque village which nestles in the hillside, and is surrounded by farms and rolling hills. It certainly is a lovely, peaceful setting! This is a view of the house from the farm track opposite:

The house is a converted barn with extremely thick walls. It might look enormous but the garage and connected storage area behind the accommodation are reserved for the owner. It's still big, but perhaps not quite as big as my photos suggest!

There's a parking area for guests at the top of the slope opposite the garage door and behind the tree, and that's where our car is parked:

There's a large, raised patio area which overlooks a lawn that slopes down to trees and a stream. Well, there would have been a stream, but it hadn't rained much recently!

Downstairs, the accommodation is open-plan and very spacious. Everything is absolutely immaculate!

Upstairs, there are two bedrooms and a bathroom and separate toilet. This is the slightly smaller bedroom (which we didn't choose) and out-of-shot there's a single bed meaning the house comfortably sleeps five.

And this is the bigger bedroom that we did choose:

You can probably tell from the photos that the décor is unusual. There's a mixture of modern and renovated antique furnishings which we thought works very well. This is the bathroom, or perhaps it's the washroom - because there's a washing machine but no bath!:

We really liked both the property and the location, being close to the volcanoes of the Auvergne. And we also liked the price - under 400 Euros for the week. Okay, it wasn't the high season but it was still a week during school holidays in France and we were amazed by what we were getting for the price. New to us though was the hefty 'breakage deposit' of 600 Euros - but fortunately we didn't break anything! There was a small additional charge for electricity but it was only a few Euros - the open fireplace is just for show and the heating is all electric radiators. For us, the real additional cost of the holiday was the tunnel - about £190 - and the motorway tolls - about £100, although we think it's well worth that to drive for hours on smooth, almost empty roads. :-)
Dave
Booked cruise: TUI Discovery 2 - Cuban Fusion, Christmas 2017
Booked walking holidays: Auvergne, Cotswolds, Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Le Gîte de la Péreire

Postby grannyM » 29 Oct 2017 18:28

Once again a lovely let. Thank you for the photos. I do like looking at these rental properties as I have a daughter & son-in-law who also choose this style of holiday accommodation for their family. They have just come back from a visit to Annecy via Geneva airport. The converted loft flat they stayed in had some stunning views overlooking Annecy and beyond which was actually a lot less expensive than you would have thought. Like yourselves they had fabulously warm weather. :)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Le Gîte de la Péreire

Postby judgegeoff » 29 Oct 2017 19:59

You do seem to have the knack of choosing excellent accommodation Dave, yet another super one! :thumbup:
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Le Gîte de la Péreire

Postby Trace » 29 Oct 2017 21:47

What fabulous accommodation Dave. I would love that house, Gîte or whatever.. Right up my street.
As a walker... But only a 5 to 6 miles a day , no comparison to yours... But your walks looked wonderful..
Our old Labrador is now only managing very short walks so we do miss the woods, a walker like you will understand that.
Enjoyed reading your blog ;)
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Le Gîte de la Péreire

Postby avidcruiser » 29 Oct 2017 23:48

Your gite looks idyllic, Dave.

We enjoyed a few holidays in gites when our children were young, can't fault them, each time venturing further south; Normandy & Brittany, the Loire region , Charente Maritime, and finally the Dordogne. The latter with a one or two night stop over each way. All conducted, pre e mail, via a phone call, and a letter to follow up a booking!!!! Yes, I do, parlez Francais enough to do this.

IF we could do the same now, then we would do so, in the blink of an eye, but I am no longer confident in driving abroad.
All my posts and photos are COPYRIGHTED!!

"I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me!"
KEEP CALM AND CRUISE ON

avidcruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Wales

Return to Accommodation & non-cruising holidays