Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Moondara - the Return!

Moondara - the Return!

Re: Moondara - the Return!

Postby Dave » 30 Mar 2018 16:54

Camela wrote:Hopefully the rumoured snow will have gone well on its way in a week's time Dave.

Fingers crossed, although it might be fun - log fires and hot tub for example. :D

We've been tied to school holidays up until now, and it's always been Easter or Whitsun half-term for the lake holiday. This year Whitsun was fully booked a year ahead which is why we're doing Easter this time. But anyway, as of yesterday we've entered a whole new world... My wife quit her job in teaching and starts a new career after Easter as a SENPEO (Special Educational Needs Provision Evaluation Officer! - a sort of roving inspector) and our holidays will no longer be tied to school holidays. Woo hoo! More choice and cheaper to boot! :D
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby grannyM » 30 Mar 2018 17:34

Dave wrote:
Camela wrote:Hopefully the rumoured snow will have gone well on its way in a week's time Dave.

Fingers crossed, although it might be fun - log fires and hot tub for example. :D

We've been tied to school holidays up until now, and it's always been Easter or Whitsun half-term for the lake holiday. This year Whitsun was fully booked a year ahead which is why we're doing Easter this time. But anyway, as of yesterday we've entered a whole new world... My wife quit her job in teaching and starts a new career after Easter as a SENPEO (Special Educational Needs Provision Evaluation Officer! - a sort of roving inspector) and our holidays will no longer be tied to school holidays. Woo hoo! More choice and cheaper to boot! :D

That's great Dave. Congratulations and Good Luck in her new job to Fred. :D
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Camela » 31 Mar 2018 12:36

Great for you both, does make such a difference going out of school holidays ££ and there are fewer children on ships and in resorts :o
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
England

Moondara - the Return!

Postby Gillzajoker » 01 Apr 2018 09:59

Great News, Dave - and best wishes to Fred in her new venture. :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Dave » 10 Apr 2018 17:31

It's great to be back by the lake again!

This morning, the kids and grandkids went to Bourton-on-the-Water while Fred and I went on a walk around the lakes.

I'd planned the route previously...

...but a few diversions were needed on the day due to non-existent footpaths and some flooded tracks. The 8.5 miles shown above became nearly 10 miles.

This photo shows what most of the paths here are like. Very nice indeed!

One of the many lakes, but unusual for being the home of beavers. We didn't see any though.

Our way was blocked by water several times, but this was the most extreme example. It was too deep to wade through so we carefully(!) crossed an electric fence (wire) into an adjacent field to get around the flood.

We passed some very cute cattle...

One of the most attractive parts of the walk was alongside the River Thames, which runs through the area between the lakes...

With only a couple of miles still to go, we struggled to find a way through a sodden area. Eventually, we found a path where the water wasn't too deep!

A fun and quite adventurous walk!

This afternoon I took my daughter and two grandchildren for a row around the lake. :-)

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 11 Apr 2018 08:23

The hot tub is in use early on this rainy morning... :-)

We're going to Gloucester soon. Hopefully it'll stop raining!

Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Moondara - the Return!

Postby judgegeoff » 11 Apr 2018 08:29

Shame about the weather Dave, I hope it improves for you very quickly. However, spirits are clearly not dampened and the hot tub seems to be being put to good use. Enjoy your special time with the family. :)
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 11 Apr 2018 16:57

judgegeoff wrote:Shame about the weather Dave, I hope it improves for you very quickly. However, spirits are clearly not dampened and the hot tub seems to be being put to good use. Enjoy your special time with the family. :)
Thanks Geoff. The rain stopped but it's been cold and dull.

We all went to Gloucester then realised that we have been there before. We once booked a 'cruise' on Edward Elgar which was departing from Gloucester and we visited the docks to see if the ship would be there (it wasn't).

Today, we enjoyed two things about the city: the magnificent cathedral, and a really good restaurant called Greek on the Docks. :-) The rest of Gloucester didn't impress us much!

Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 12 Apr 2018 16:35

Today, we drove to Selsley Common near Stroud to start our walk. The route followed the Cotswold Way, a national trail, for most of the way.

Selsley Common is on a high hill and provides wonderful views across a beautiful landscape...

...or rather, that was our hope. Cloud can be a problem on high hills!

Descending the hill we passed many typical Cotswold buildings:

A highlight of the walk was the section alongside a disused canal. A pair of locks...

...and a cute swing bridge:

We crossed some very muddy fields!

We saw some alpacas:

The last few miles involved a long uphill slog through some very nice woodland:

We saw great carpets of ramsons. No flowers yet, but they still smelled strongly of garlic:

Eventually, we emerged from the woods and were back on the common. The mist had cleared somewhat so we had a late sandwich lunch before heading back to the car. Another short(ish), but quite challenging and very enjoyable walk. :-).

Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Moondara - the Return!

Postby judgegeoff » 12 Apr 2018 18:40

Interesting that you were not over impressed with Gloucester, apart from its Cathedral and a restaurant! For the last 22 years of my working life my Company's Divisional Headquarters was in Gloucester in what used to be an old asylum. I found that to be quite appropriate!!! :lol:
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Previous

Return to Accommodation & non-cruising holidays