Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Kintyre and Islay Adventure: Scotland 2018!

Kintyre and Islay Adventure: Scotland 2018!

Postby Dave » 17 Jun 2018 14:07

Last year, we did our first summer holiday since 2004 that hadn't included a cruise. Instead, we had a fantastic Hebridean Adventure which surpassed our most optimistic expectations! :D

We spent a week in a lovely thatched cottage on South Uist and a second week on Lewis in a super-modern 'hobbit house'. And because the drive from Whitstable in the deep south was quite a distance, we used a B&B on the way up and spent two nights in an hotel on the way back - both in Scotland.

Much as we loved the thatched cottage, we thought the grass-topped luxury house was spectacularly brilliant so almost as soon as we got back home we booked a week in each of two similar accommodations - the first near Machrihanish on the Kintyre peninsular, and the second near nowhere(!) on the island of Islay in the Inner Hebrides. Being able to drive from home to the first house without needing to catch a ferry means that we won't need an overnight stop on the way up, but the journey home begins with a ferry crossing so we've splashed out on a posh room in a rather nice hotel called Stonefield Castle. :D

This is the accommodation on Kintyre where we'll spend the first week:

And this is the accommodation on Islay where we'll spend the second week:

Not needing an overnight stay on the way up meant that I was able to persuade my wife that we could use the money we saved to go for an hotel that's a bit more upmarket than last year! ;)

As last summer, we intend to spend every day going on adventurous walks and I shall certainly be posting frequent updates to this thread... :wave:

(I've yet to plan any walks, but we must do a pilgrimage to the Mull of Kintyre and visit Islay's neighbour Jura. Another possibility is to visit Northern Ireland - somewhere we've not yet seen...)

Roll on August! :D
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby bobbyoscar » 17 Jun 2018 16:27

Dave, they do look amazing and if circumstances were different, we would love to book somewhere like that.

Cruises booked:
October 2018 – P & O Oriana - Cadiz - Catania - Corigliano Calabro – Venice –Zadar - Dubrovnik - Kotor - Corfu - Gibraltar
February 2019 – P & O Aurora - Andalsnes – Tromso – Alta – Stavanger
September 2019 - P & O Azura - Malaga -Messina - Mykonos - Piraeus - Santorini - Katakolon - Gibraltar
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby grannyM » 17 Jun 2018 17:06

Fabulous looking accommodation similar to last year's on Lewis, Dave. I think you'll both love Mull of Kintyre and Islay. Fingers crossed you get some decent weather for your walks. :D
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Gillzajoker » 18 Jun 2018 14:08

Wow, what amazing accommodation! Look forward to hearing all about your trip in due course. :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Trace » 18 Jun 2018 18:00

Looks wonderful Dave, I will look forward to reading about it. I remember I enjoyed reading it last time you went to similar, and your accommodations look fabulous :)
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tobysgranny » 21 Jun 2018 04:59

The trip looks fantastic Dave as does The accommodation which looks amazing. It is a long time since I visited Kintyre and would love to go again one day and admit although I’m From Scotland I have never visited the Islands. I think I must start persuading Richard about a trip there perhaps next year.

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Dave » 30 Jul 2018 17:46

With just four days to go to our second Scottish adventure, the planning is almost done.

We've decided to set off a day early and have an overnight stop in a guest house in Richmond, North Yorkshire. I've been to Richmond once about 30 years ago and I remember the castle with its amazing views, but that's about all. The guest house is very close to the castle and we'll have a good view of it from our room. :D

Not wishing to tempt fate, we're very much better prepared this year than last. In the interim, we've equipped ourselves with much better weatherproof gear and proper route-following gadgets. Last year, we planned the walks from maps, guides and leaflets we found in the accommodations or bought locally; this time I've already got routes for every day on my trusty Satmap GPS. :geek: In addition to walks on Kintyre and Islay, we've got walks on the Isle of Gigha and on Jura planned - very exciting!

I've made excellent use of a brilliant website called http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk, which has lots of walks to browse and choose from. Having decided on a walk, I can download the route straight to my Satmap and download the description to Fred's phone. :geek: Hopefully we won't get lost! :think:
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Kintyre and Islay Adventure: Scotland 2018!

Postby rdw123 » 31 Jul 2018 07:11

Happy holidays. Waiting for your lovely photos. Safe journey.
rdw123
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Gillzajoker » 31 Jul 2018 10:55

With such amazing accommodation and your meticulous planning, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time!
I look forward to 'sharing' it with you in due course :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Jimmy the One » 31 Jul 2018 14:23

Have a great holiday Dave & Fred hope the weather improves for you :thumbup: it's pretty windy here at the moment :cry:
Im just a soul whose intentions are good Oh lord please dont let me be misunderstood

Jimmy the One
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Next