Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Snowdonia - an autumn adventure!

Snowdonia - an autumn adventure!

Snowdonia - an autumn adventure!

Postby Dave » 28 Aug 2018 15:50

We've just booked a week's holiday starting at the end of September. :D

Scotland is a bit too far to drive for a short break, so this one is in Wales. We've chosen what looks like a very nice cottage...

...at the foot of Snowdon! The cottage is on a working farm and the farm sits between two of the routes up the mountain. It couldn't be better placed!

It's been a good week for booking holidays. :D
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: That's next month's holiday booked!

Postby Camela » 28 Aug 2018 16:22

Easy drive in comparison to Scotland. I used to go to Wales on family hols as a child. Fond memories of Snowdon Mountain Railway and Ffestiniog Railway. Also visits to all the old castles...happy days, I should go back. We did spend a long weekend in the Brecon Beacons in June. Very good food and visited a brilliant pub in Usk with a good old-fashioned 'mine host' landlord.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
England

That's next month's holiday booked!

Postby Gillzajoker » 29 Aug 2018 09:24

Brilliant - that will be perfect for you. Whilst there, you might like to check out
Cadair Idris - one of OH's favourite mountain walks. Here is a link:-
[Search domain snowdoniaguide.com] snowdoniaguide.com/cader_idris.html :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Dave » 29 Aug 2018 10:14

Gillzajoker wrote:Brilliant - that will be perfect for you. Whilst there, you might like to check out
Cadair Idris - one of OH's favourite mountain walks. Here is a link:-
http://www.snowdoniaguide.com/cader_idris.html :D

Thanks Gill. I haven't planned our walks yet, but I'll certainly look to include that one; it sounds perfect! :thumbup:

Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby rdw123 » 30 Aug 2018 08:31

Dave your cottage looks lovely. Have you ever looked at the Landmark Trust web site. They rescue old buildings and turn them into holiday lets. They are furnished well in the period of the property but no televisions provided! They aren’t cheap but worth the money as nothing extra to pay once there. A lot are, in our experience, a challenge to find and get to but on the up side in some wonderful locations. Take a look at those on Lundy. Can recommend them all for a different sort of holiday. Ed and I used to do different! Happy browsing. Ruth
rdw123
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Dave » 30 Aug 2018 14:50

rdw123 wrote:Dave your cottage looks lovely. Have you ever looked at the Landmark Trust web site. They rescue old buildings and turn them into holiday lets. They are furnished well in the period of the property but no televisions provided! They aren’t cheap but worth the money as nothing extra to pay once there. A lot are, in our experience, a challenge to find and get to but on the up side in some wonderful locations. Take a look at those on Lundy. Can recommend them all for a different sort of holiday. Ed and I used to do different! Happy browsing. Ruth

Hi Ruth

No TV? :o

Actually, we have browsed the Landmark Trust site and we're even considering booking a disused railway station near Alton Towers for a week next spring. :D We usually get a log house by a lake in the Cotswolds and invite the kids and grandkids, but the cabins were fully booked more than a year ahead. :cry: Being so close to Alton Towers, the railway station looks ideal for the youngsters while the area is good for walking which would suit us oldsters! ;)

I agree that they have some very desirable and unique properties. :thumbup:
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby grannyM » 30 Aug 2018 15:15

Really nice looking cottage Dave and not so far to get there. Hope the weather is better too. :)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby judgegeoff » 30 Aug 2018 17:28

I used to love Snowdonia and, when I was working on Anglesey for nearly three years in the 1960s, used to sometimes divert on my drives home to pass through the spectacular scenery. Gill is right about checking out Cader Idris - I climbed it without any special equipment when I was camping in Wales with the Scouts so, if I was able to do it, I am sure that you and Fred will have no problem climbing it (weather permitting of course). After we got married in Anglesey, (at Llanfairmathafarneithaf would you believe!!!) just over 50 years ago, Chris and I spent the first night of our honeymoon at a hotel in Snowdonia. :)
Geoff

Cruises Booked

Nothing yet but looking.
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 30 Aug 2018 17:54

judgegeoff wrote:I used to love Snowdonia and, when I was working on Anglesey for nearly three years in the 1960s, used to sometimes divert on my drives home to pass through the spectacular scenery. Gill is right about checking out Cader Idris - I climbed it without any special equipment when I was camping in Wales with the Scouts so, if I was able to do it, I am sure that you and Fred will have no problem climbing it (weather permitting of course). After we got married in Anglesey, (at Llanfairmathafarneithaf would you believe!!!) just over 50 years ago, Chris and I spent the first night of our honeymoon at a hotel in Snowdonia. :)

Thanks Geoff. I've just checked out https://www.walkupsnowdon.co.uk/best-walking-routes-cader-idris/ and it certainly looks amazing. :thumbup:
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby rdw123 » 31 Aug 2018 08:17

The Old Station sounds like a good bet Dave. We thought about that one a few years ago but it was a bit big for just 2of us. We have had several properties over the years. The Old Chapel in Wales in amongst the woods would be right up your street, so to speak! We had a lovely holiday there, the only downside was carrying all your provisions 10 minutes up the track. It was also the hardest one to actually find, after about 45 minutes we managed to find a local to point us in the right direction. We’d been past the track several times! Happy days.
rdw123
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Next