Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Kintyre and Islay Adventure: Scotland 2018!

Kintyre and Islay Adventure: Scotland 2018!

Postby grannyM » 22 Aug 2018 17:20

It is so good to hear you found the natives friendly. ;)

Well done with the mileage you both clocked up especially in places where probably no one has been brave enough to tackle the terrain for a long time. :-o
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Dave » 25 Oct 2018 16:38

Having spent a wonderful week this summer on Islay enjoying the tranquillity and the wonderful scenery and wildlife, I'm afraid I can't let this news item pass without comment:

Anger after 'hardcore huntress' shoots goat on Scottish island

This so-called huntress wrote:

"Beautiful wild goat here on the Island of Islay in Scotland. Such a fun hunt!!"

"They live on the edge of the cliffs of the island and know how to hide well. We hunted hard for a big one for 2 days and finally got on this group."

"Made a perfect 200 yard shot and dropped him."

We also encountered wild goats on Islay. Yes, they were beautiful and yes, they were near the edges of cliffs.

My wife took this photo of a wild goat with her phone. The goat was about 20m away but we could easily have got closer. We'd never met anything like this before on a walk and it was a big animal with very big horns, so we went around it. At the time, I wrote that the wild goats were truly awesome - and they were.

So, I wonder what kind of person gets their fun from killing one of these beautiful animals. And I wonder why it took two days of hard hunting to find a group of them (they certainly made no attempt to hide from us). And I wonder why the huntress fired from 200 yards away.

I hope something good results from this person's barbaric behaviour, because Scotland's government must now surely ban the killing of wildlife for some sick kind of fun.
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 25 Oct 2018 19:41

I was very surprised to read your news about the goat being shot Dave. Did this person have a licence to shoot the goat? I suspect not. I am not a hunter, but I should imagine a shot from 200 yards range would be thwart with danger as they would not necessarily know if people were walking in the area (witness the British cyclist who was recently shot dead in France by a hunter who mistook him for a boar). I do understand that culling of animals may sometimes be necessary, but would not expect it to be done in such a 'gung ho' way.
Geoff

Cruises Booked

Nothing yet but looking.
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Jimmy the One » 26 Oct 2018 12:54

This is all over the media up here sorry to say but it's a common practice of land owners to do this kind of thing.Thee is no need to cull these goats don't know what kind of buzz people get for doing this :cry:
Im just a soul whose intentions are good Oh lord please dont let me be misunderstood

Jimmy the One
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Gillzajoker » 27 Oct 2018 09:43

Disgusting! :evil:
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Previous