Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - North Wales castles

North Wales castles

North Wales castles

Postby Camela » 29 Apr 2019 11:22

Reading of Vulcan's mini break in north Wales made me wonder if anyone has based a trip round visiting the castles there. I'd like to revisit as remember visiting all the main ones on family holidays in the 60s!
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

North Wales castles

Postby Gillzajoker » 29 Apr 2019 12:01

Not me personally, but sounds like a good project! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

North Wales castles

Postby Dave » 29 Apr 2019 16:07

Camela wrote:Reading of Vulcan's mini break in north Wales made me wonder if anyone has based a trip round visiting the castles there. I'd like to revisit as remember visiting all the main ones on family holidays in the 60s!

We've based a number of holidays in North Wales (and we'll be back next month!) and we've visited most of the better known castles. (Back before our cruising days, I was a keen castle fan.)

One of our most memorable holidays was in 2004 when we stayed in the gatehouse at Gwydir Castle near Betws-y-Coed which, as you can see on the map, is perfectly placed to visit all of the other North Wales castles...

The gatehouse was compact (to say the least!)...

...but I seem to recall that accommodation is also available in the more refined part of the castle:

So how about staying in a castle in order to visit the others? :thumbup: :D

(BTW, my favourite Welsh castles are Beaumaris and Conwy.)
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Booked land-based holidays 2019: April - Surrey, June - Snowdonia, July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: North Wales castles

Postby Camela » 29 Apr 2019 16:41

Dave, that map is great, thank you. I had an outline plan to stay in 3 different places for the trip but one centre sounds a good idea and saves packing each night. I'm also thinking of incorporating a visit to Ironbridge either north or southbound.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

North Wales castles

Postby Skier Pete » 30 Apr 2019 03:08

Dave wrote:
Camela wrote:Reading of Vulcan's mini break in north Wales made me wonder if anyone has based a trip round visiting the castles there. I'd like to revisit as remember visiting all the main ones on family holidays in the 60s!

We've based a number of holidays in North Wales (and we'll be back next month!) and we've visited most of the better known castles. (Back before our cruising days, I was a keen castle fan.)

One of our most memorable holidays was in 2004 when we stayed in the gatehouse at Gwydir Castle near Betws-y-Coed which, as you can see on the map, is perfectly placed to visit all of the other North Wales castles...

The gatehouse was compact (to say the least!)...

...but I seem to recall that accommodation is also available in the more refined part of the castle:

So how about staying in a castle in order to visit the others? :thumbup: :D

(BTW, my favourite Welsh castles are Beaumaris and Conwy.)

Most of the castles in Wales are looked after by CADW

Cadw, which means 'to keep' or 'to protect' in Welsh, is the Welsh Government's historic environment service working for an accessible and well-protected historic environment. They conserve our heritage and help sustain the distinctive character of Wales.

here is a link to a list of the properties they look after which might be useful to someone planning to visit some of them

CADW PROPERTIES
Skiing comes 1st; Cruising a close 2nd

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
Skier Pete
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

North Wales castles

Postby Gillzajoker » 30 Apr 2019 11:47

Good information there, Pete. Thanks. :D