Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - That's our 2019 summer holiday sorted!

That's our 2019 summer holiday sorted!

Re: That's our 2019 summer holiday sorted!

Postby Camela » 25 Aug 2018 10:00

We've always been in the habit of booking late (that started due to work) and yes I agree that can inhibit choice of accommodation/ship cabins. Our furthest advance bookings have both been 6 months for cruises to Polynesia and Vietnam.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby Wanderingsascent » 09 Oct 2018 20:31

Looks stunning, wouldn't mind going there myself.
Wanderingsascent
Ensign
Ensign

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 08 Jul 2019 18:07

Although we booked the two cottages in Scotland almost a year ago, with only a few weeks now to go before we head north we realised that we hadn't sorted out the rest of the trip - most importantly, the ferries to and from the Isle of Lewis and Harris. :oops:

So yesterday I logged on to the CalMac website to book the crossings, only to discover there was no availability on the day we need to arrive at the cottage on Harris. And the only ferry with space on the day we need to leave Harris sails at 6.15am from Stornoway on Lewis, meaning we'll need to leave the first cottage at about 4.30am! :o

Our Plan B didn't quite go to plan either... we booked a ferry for the day before we're supposed to arrive at the Harris cottage thinking we could stay in a hotel overnight, but we couldn't find a single one with availability. We spent hours searching for somewhere to stay (we even looked at campsites!) before finding a small apartment that will do nicely (it'll have to). Phew!

So all that remains now is to find hotels (or B&Bs) on the mainland for the journeys up and back. I must be better organised in future!! :oops:
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 09 Jul 2019 12:21

Tut, tut, Dave! And there was me thinking you were the epitome of organisation! :lol:
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Dave » 09 Jul 2019 15:01

Gillzajoker wrote:Tut, tut, Dave! And there was me thinking you were the epitome of organisation! :lol:

No Gill, I'm rubbish! I did okay for our 2017 and 2018 Scotland summer holidays but I became complacent this year. :oops:

However... I have now managed to find hotels for the way there and the way back! :D

We'll stay overnight at a hotel in Sterling (left) on the way to Harris, and a hotel in Carlisle (right) on the way back from near Ullapool. The Sterling hotel looks nice, but the Carlisle one looks amazing!

So that's all sorted then. ;)
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Camela » 09 Jul 2019 17:02

Better pack a tent Dave, just in case :lol:
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Previous