Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - A week with the family in the Peak District

A week with the family in the Peak District

Postby Dave » 18 Jul 2019 16:42

For some years now we've been taking the family on an annual holiday to the Cotswolds and we've always stayed in a log house by a lake. We've gone at Easter or Whitsun, but this year the log houses were all booked very early and so (with two grandchildren now going to school) we've had to delay our week together until the start of the summer holidays.

We chose Landal Darwin Forest (a Center Parcs -like resort) because it'll be great for the children and it's in the Peak District, and my wife and I can climb Kinder Scout and do other adventurous walks. Something for everyone! :D

Although most of the accommodation is in the form of chalets, our party consists of six adults and three children and only one place had sufficient capacity. It's a big bungalow that looks perfect and is close to the main facilities like the swimming pool and play areas.

We've never stayed at somewhere like this before so it'll be interesting to see how we all like the resort experience.

Anyway, we'll be off tomorrow and I'll do my usual daily updates... :D
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: A week with the family in the Peak District

Postby Camela » 18 Jul 2019 18:57

Have a great family holiday Dave and I hope the school holiday getaway traffic isn't too bad!
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby judgegeoff » 18 Jul 2019 23:20

Have a great week Dave and Fred with your family group. :wave:
Geoff

Booked cruise :- "MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 18 Jul 2019 23:22

Thanks Camela and Geoff, everyone is very excited! :D
Dave

Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 19 Jul 2019 11:05

Lookds lovely - hope you all have a wonderful time! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby bobbyoscar » 20 Jul 2019 10:36

Lovely part of the world to visit, enjoy your time there.
Cruises booked:
September 2019 -
P & O Azura - Malaga -Messina - Mykonos - Piraeus - Santorini - Katakolon - Gibraltar
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Vigo
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Dave » 20 Jul 2019 17:34

Our drive to the Peak District yesterday took ages and the weather was terrible. The house is fantastic though and so is the location. :-)

This morning, we set off on our own for a walk from Hulme End to visit a cave called Thor's Cave and to climb Ecton Hill. And to introduce ourselves to the area of course, which is very new to us.

The weather forecast wasn't promising but we were off to a good start - Fred checking the route:

But a little while later the rain started and it was often torrential!

We were following the Manifold River and as the rain eased we rounded a bend and saw the cave high on the hillside:

It was quite a climb but it was certainly worth it. Thor's Cave is very big and the views were fantastic:

Leaving the riverside path, we went up and over the cave:

We crossed hilly farmland and ascended Ecton Hill which has very deep holes all over it - fenced-off remains from old copper mines:

We were pleased to bag a trig point at the summit of the hill. It was extremely windy there so we didn't hang around!

A little way down the hill we came across a fascinating site (and sight). This is where the world's first rotary steam engine was installed, and I'm standing on the lid of a 400m shaft!

We returned to the house via Matlock and it looks really nice. A very good start. :-)

Oh, and Fred tried the Jacuzzi as soon as we got back...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby rdw123 » 21 Jul 2019 08:32

A lovely area to visit but boy can it rain up there! Enjoy your break. Hope it is a bit drier for you all.
rdw123
Commander
Commander

Postby Gillzajoker » 21 Jul 2019 11:29

Looks lovely, apart from the rain. I bet the hot tub was a very welcome end to the walk! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Dave » 22 Jul 2019 21:30

Yesterday, Fred and I had fun exploring the woods with the grandchildren in the morning and we spent the afternoon in Matlock. The town is great, but it was full of hundreds of motorbikes and was very noisy and busy.

Today we set off on our own to climb Kinder Scout - the week's 'must do'! We drove to Hayfield and did a circular route that took in Kinder Downfall (an impressive waterfall) and Kinder Low (the summit).

Soon after setting off we passed the reservoir which remained in view for most of the walk.

We followed a delightful rocky stream:

Despite Kinder Scout not being particularly high, the climb was as substantial as any we've done...

We stopped for a sandwich by Kinder Downfall. The photo doesn't show it well, but the water was being blown up as a spray instead of falling!

The river (without much water) just before the fall:

Me, with one of the many sculpted rocks:

Kinder Scout doesn't have a typical summit, being more a very high moor, but there is a trig point at Kinder Low. :-)

Beginning the descent with fantastic views:

Part of the descent was very steep - we've just come down from the peak behind...

Easier going... with sheep:

We ended the walk on a lovely riverside path:

We absolutely loved Kinder Scout and agreed that this was one of the best walks we've done yet. :-)

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Next

Return to Accommodation & non-cruising holidays