Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Deerhurst Cottage, Wotton, Surrey

Deerhurst Cottage, Wotton, Surrey

Re: Deerhurst Cottage, Wotton, Surrey

Postby Dave » 21 Apr 2019 16:59

Another splendid stroll in sunny Super Surrey. But it was quite a tough one! :-)

I'd intended driving to a car park near Dorking for our planned 13 mile walk, but my wife decided she wanted to do at least 16 miles today, so we left the car behind and set off from the cottage. We followed the Greensand Way to Dorking and went up to the North Downs Way. We followed it to the foot of Box Hill and did the very steep climb to the top, then continued along the high ridge for a few miles. After a sandwich lunch, we descended and followed the Greensand Way across farmland and through Brockham to Dorking and on to the cottage. It was a very warm walk with a lot of ascents but we did it and passed 16 miles. :-)

Looking down over a vast vineyard from the NDW. In the distance (left) is Box Hill:

An abundance of bluebells and ramsons:

Stepping stones near the foot of Box Hill:

Fred part way up Box Hill:

View from the top of Box Hill, with the vineyard in the distance:

The trig point, and lots of people enjoying the sunshine:

Lunch with a view:

The lovely village of Brockham:

We've had a fantastic few days in Surrey and we'll definitely be coming back! :-)

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 22 Apr 2019 10:22

Fabulous pictures there, Dave - loolks a wonderful area and can understand you wanting to return. :D
You've been very lucky with the weather too - not like us - 4 days of solid rain all over the holiday period - such a shame as Easter (Semana Santa) is the biggest holiday of the year here, with lots of processions carrying huge statues parading through the streets. There has been severe flooding in quite a few areas, also. :(
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Dave » 27 Apr 2019 17:08

I thought I ought to add a little more about Deerhurst Cottage, which, as I later realised is in Westcott - not in nearby Wotton. It is in Surrey though. ;)

We were extremely lucky to get the cottage for four nights over the Easter break since the normal minimum period is seven nights. By a stroke of luck and probably because we applied at a late date, the accommodation was available - and for a very good price. We paid just £340. :D

My photos don't do the setting justice. The cottage is tucked away in a secluded part of the beautiful grounds of a large manor house. The only sounds are those of birds - including a family of pheasants that enjoy the garden. The grounds are very extensive and include private woodland and we were invited to explore as we liked.

We chose this location because we wanted to do walks that included sections of the North Downs Way and we were delighted to discover that the whole area is extremely well served with byways and well-maintained footpaths. It really is an excellent place for walking.

The cottage itself suited us perfectly. It accommodates four people and so was plenty big enough for two. The owners were extremely pleasant and unobtrusive, which is always a bonus! And we had everything we needed, including very fast wi-fi. :thumbup:

I'll let the photos speak for themselves...

And this one shows a part of the Japanese garden that we passed through on our way to the woods and out to the byway beyond:

We chose accommodation in this area because it's only a 90 minute drive from Whitstable and we wanted to do walks on the North Downs Way in Surrey. Our aim is to walk every inch of the NDW (which runs from Farnham to Dover) and we only did about a third of the Surrey section - so we'll definitely be back, and quite probably to the same cottage. :D
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Deerhurst Cottage, Wotton, Surrey

Postby Camela » 27 Apr 2019 18:23

Your travel log prompted me to look at cottage rentals, seems such a good idea. You're right that last minute bookings seem to offer the chance of a few nights' rental, which I would prefer, rather than a week.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby Gillzajoker » 28 Apr 2019 10:41

Beautiful setting, Dave - can see why you would happily re-visit. :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral