Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Dry Dock Cottage, Brecon Beacons

Dry Dock Cottage, Brecon Beacons

Re: Dry Dock Cottage, Brecon Beacons

Postby Carwalsick » 20 Oct 2019 11:33

I've only just picked this up from Beacon Park Boats but the first episode broadcast on 18th is available on BBC iPlayer for BBC1 Wales.
"Don't miss the first episode of Gareth Edwards' Great Welsh Adventure tonight 7.30pm BBC1 Wales. He and his wife, Maureen, go boating on the Llangollen canal. Later in the series (on 1st November) they cruise the Mon & Brec canal on our narrowboat Harrier.
If you're not in Wales, catch it on Virgin Media 864, Sky 952, Freesat 976 and BBC iPlayer.
Find out more https://bit.ly/2J3pU3a"
Carwalsick
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 20 Oct 2019 13:35

Thanks for that, I'll certainly watch out for the programme. :-)

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 20 Oct 2019 14:21

Sometimes I make mistakes! :oops:

We set off this morning to walk through nearby Crickhowell and on to Table Mountain, the high hill overlooking the town.

But I couldn't find the route that went directly from the cottage to our destination on my GPS. It was as if we weren't where we were supposed to be. And it turned out that we weren't because I thought our cottage was somewhere else! :?

I'd used the postcode for Beacon Park Boats, from whom we're renting the cottage, as our location when I planned our walks. But our cottage is actually about 5 miles along the canal from there. Oops!

So instead of Table Mountain, we did a canal walk which turned out to be lovely. We went west from Llanfoist (where we're staying!) as far as Gilwern along a cycle path and the canal path, then back along the canal path, visiting the village of Govilon on the way.

The marina at Govilon:

A coffee and welshcake stop at Gilwern:

An autumnal canal scene:

We're loving this wonderful part of Wales! :D
Dave

Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Carwalsick » 20 Oct 2019 15:09

The Towpath Inn at Gilwern was most interesting. When we moored up they were not cooking in the evening but we were invited to get fish and chips from across the road and eat in the pub. They have a gin menu (printed) to satisfy even my OH. An interesting mix of furniture and a great mine host.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
Carwalsick
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby rdw123 » 21 Oct 2019 07:14

Loving your photos Dave. The drive east to west from your part of the world is not a good one as we have found out on previous occasions! Sat navs are only as good as the operator!! Enjoy your holiday.
rdw123
Commander
Commander

Postby Gillzajoker » 21 Oct 2019 10:35

Nobody's perfect, Dave - and therefore those photos are an unexpected treat! :D
(Incidentally, I'l be doing the REAL Table Mountain next week - but by cable car!!!) :lol:
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Dave » 21 Oct 2019 16:10

Gillzajoker wrote:Nobody's perfect, Dave - and therefore those photos are an unexpected treat! :D
(Incidentally, I'l be doing the REAL Table Mountain next week - but by cable car!!!) :lol:

Been there, done that, came down by cable car... ;)
Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 21 Oct 2019 16:51

Today we did our first hilly walk of the week. Our cottage is at the foot of the Blorenge - the only significant peak south of the Heads of the Valleys road (otherwise known as the A465) - so we had to climb it. The route also included a high circuit of the hill and an extremely tough ending!

Setting off up the steep gorge from the cottage:

We came out of the trees to join a path which we followed to the far side of Blorenge before heading up to the summit. In the distance is Skirrid, which we hope to do directly from the cottage later in the week:

Looking back towards the lovely pond in the Punchbowl:

Arriving on the summit plateau we passed lots of shake holes - small craters where the ground below has collapsed:

The summit trig point at a modest 561m:

We met lots of wild, but very docile, horses:

The views towards the distant mountains and the towns and valleys below were amazing:

There were less than two miles to go when we chose a 'path' that turned out to be a nightmare! Although it was marked clearly on the map it quickly fizzled out and it took us nearly two hours to go one mile! We battled through endless bracken entwined with brambles on steep, rocky terrain. At one point, while trying to get past a rotting, fallen tree, I fell and ended up on my back in nettles and brambles - my leg is still throbbing! Ah, the joys of walking... :(

But all's well that ends well and we made it back eventually! Tomorrow we hope to do the Brecon Beacons Horseshoe, which includes Cribyn, Pen-y-Fan and Corn Du...
Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Camela » 21 Oct 2019 22:07

Carwalsick, thanks for the link to Gareth Edwards on the Llangollen. Just watched and as we've taken a narrowboat over the Pontcysyllte aqueduct I loved it!
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby Camela » 21 Oct 2019 22:11

Loved your walk today Dave. Whetted my appetite for hiring a boat on the Mon and Brec as no chance of taking ours to that land locked canal. :cry:
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

PreviousNext