Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Harris and Highlands Adventure: Scotland 2019!

Harris and Highlands Adventure: Scotland 2019!

Postby bobbyoscar » 08 Aug 2019 19:41

What amazing photos, just loving it :thumbup:
Cruises booked:
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette
- Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Vigo
May 2021 Celebrity Silhouette - ST. PETER PORT - CORK (COBH) - WATERFORD(DUNMORE E) - DUBLIN - GLASGOW (GREENOCK) - AKUREYRI - REYKJAVIK - BELFAST
Aug 2021 Celebrity Silhouette GIBRALTAR – CARTAGENA – BARCELONA – VALENCIA – CADIZ - LISBON
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Gillzajoker » 09 Aug 2019 08:35

bobbyoscar wrote:What amazing photos, just loving it :thumbup:

Me, too! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Re: Harris and Highlands Adventure: Scotland 2019!

Postby Dave » 09 Aug 2019 14:51

Thanks for your kind comments! :-)

The weather forecast for our last full day on Harris was for strong winds and rain, so we decided to do a walk from the house rather than drive somewhere to do one.

The most southerly point on Harris/Lewis is called Renish Point and since it's not far from the house we made that our target. But we went the long way round by going via Leverburgh, which is in the opposite direction! :-)

This is the view back towards Leverburgh from the A859 - not your typical A road! The weather was still okay at this point:

Still on the A859 - approaching Rodel, and it's started to rain:

Quite some time later, we were on the wild, wet and very windy Renish peninsula. There should have been a trig point just here, but it had gone missing. The most southerly tip of Harris is directly behind Fred:

That's me pointing back to the hill/mountain we climbed on our first walk of the week. :-)

We'd read that Renish Point is a good place to see wildlife including whales, seals, dolphins and otters. We didn't see any of those, but we did find what I think is an otter's skull:

The weather got steadily worse and, after a quick lunch in the shelter of some rocks, we battled our way back against the wind and stinging rain...

...and the ground was extremely boggy - great fun!

We'll be setting off for the second cottage very early tomorrow...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 10 Aug 2019 08:14

Up at 3am. Set off before 4am. Arrived in Stornoway at 5.30am. Waiting for ferry...

Just arriving in Ullapool. :-)

Dave

Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 10 Aug 2019 17:23

What a long and tiring day! We eventually arrived at the second house after 12 hours of driving, ferrying and strolling to pass the time before our rental began at 4pm. But we're here now and all is extremely well. :-)

The accommodation is about 20 miles north of Ullapool and the last 15 miles were along a twisting single-track road!

The house is both very similar to and quite different from the other 'hobbit homes' we've had. For example, it's very classy and arty but there's no TV! There is a sauna though, so Fred is happy. ;-)

The location is superb, with fantastic sea views and total isolation and privacy. Okay, the views are fantastic when it's not raining!

After a restful evening and a good night's sleep we'll be off exploring again... :-)

Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 11 Aug 2019 08:53

Re. the day before, all I can say is 'masochists'! New cottage looks lovely with gorgeous views! :D

(PS Must congratulate you on your 'similar to' and 'different from'! I'm a bit of a pedant and cringe when I hear 'different to'! - and don't get me started on 'would of' instead of would have'! :evil: ) :lol:
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby bobbyoscar » 11 Aug 2019 12:12

Dave, you sure have the knack of choosing unusual, 'quirky' places to visit in amazing surroundings; just love them. :thumbup:
Cruises booked:
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette
- Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Vigo
May 2021 Celebrity Silhouette - ST. PETER PORT - CORK (COBH) - WATERFORD(DUNMORE E) - DUBLIN - GLASGOW (GREENOCK) - AKUREYRI - REYKJAVIK - BELFAST
Aug 2021 Celebrity Silhouette GIBRALTAR – CARTAGENA – BARCELONA – VALENCIA – CADIZ - LISBON
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Dave » 11 Aug 2019 17:53

Thanks for the replies! :-)

The weather forecast isn't very promising for this week and since today wasn't looking as bad as some we decided to climb one of the many spectacular mountains in the area while we had the chance. We had rain most of the way up and cloud at the very top, but, even so, we had our first ever views from the top of a Scottish mountain!

The mountain is called Cul Mor - 849m high - and it's a jolly good one. Even today, the views were incredible! :-)

Our route was a simple there and back.

The terrain varied tremendously. We started on an excellent narrow rocky track that was more like a stream, then it was boggy peat, endless rocks, and finally rugged boulders. This is Fred soon after we set off and still blissfully unaware that we're heading for the mountain with its summit in the clouds!

Crossing the endless rocky bit:

A panoramic view from nearly half way up:

The end is still not quite in sight... ;-)

Not much further...

The final ascent is over big slabs of rock, and the final few metres were in the clouds.

The weather improved as we descended and the views were magnificent:

I'd rather optimistically hoped we might try the ridge across to a lower summit (behind Fred) but conditions weren't good - and it looked quite scary!

So instead we visited a minor summit called Meallan Diomhain, which was easy. Cul Mor is to the right behind Fred - and it now has a clear summit. Typical!:

Almost back at the start, Fred shows where we were...

We took an extremely scenic and challenging road back to the cottage and Fred took a photo of 'our mountain' out of the window. :-)

We'll do a flatter walk tomorrow...

Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 11 Aug 2019 22:47

Fantastic photos Dave! It is such a pity that the weather wasn't any better as the scenery and views look to be amazing. I am sure that they would have been so much more spectacular had the weather Gods been kinder. But full marks for making the most of your visit and there is always next year! :clap:
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 12 Aug 2019 14:03

Thanks Geoff. The weather today has been glorious!

It may sound odd, but we ended up here on the Coigach Peninsula with stunning views over the Summer Isles and the mountains beyond almost purely by chance. In fact, we'd never even heard of Coigach or the Summer Isles! We simply looked for a similar cottage in Scotland to what we've enjoyed during the last two summers and found this one. We had no idea that the area would be as amazing as this!

After yesterday's mountain hike, we chose something a little more sedate today - a ten mile circuit of the area entirely on roads.

Here is a small selection of the photos we took along the way...

By a bay about half-a-mile down the road:

The road that crosses the peninsula - across moorland and alongside lochs:

Behind Fred are the spectacular mountain monoliths that dominate the landscape. Each is easily identified from miles away - Cul Mor is nearest Fred's head!

A viewpoint overlooking the Summer Isles:

The only dark cloud of the day:

And finally... a couple of photos of the house: :-)

Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

PreviousNext