Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Bolette and Borealis

Bolette and Borealis

Bolette and Borealis

Postby Jeffo » 18 Jul 2020 05:33

Fred Olsen have acquired a pair of ships from Holland America - The Rotterdam, and The Amsterdam. Fred. Olsen will rename them Bolette and Borealis. Fred. Olsen have also said that when cruising is allowed to start again, all their ships will be cleaned to hospital standards throughout the day, every day. Quite encouraging. :)
Previous Cruises :
Black Watch (5), Braemar (9), Boudicca (1), Balmoral (1), Adonia (1), Saga Sapphire (1) Saga Ruby (1) Astoria (1)
Jeffo
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Bolette and Borealis

Postby Gillzajoker » 18 Jul 2020 08:38

That sounds promising! Let's hope they don't have to wait too long to start up again :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Bolette and Borealis

Postby judgegeoff » 18 Jul 2020 18:30

I am afraid that I am not too impressed with the new names of these two ships.
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020 (now virtual)
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Bolette and Borealis

Postby Gillzajoker » 19 Jul 2020 08:59

judgegeoff wrote:I am afraid that I am not too impressed with the new names of these two ships.

I think Borealis is OK, but don't like Bolette - apparently it's a 'given' name in Scandinavia.
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Re: Bolette and Borealis

Postby rdw123 » 19 Jul 2020 10:33

I agree with you both. Could think of better ones. They don’t exactly roll off the tongue easily!
rdw123
Commander
Commander

Postby Peka » 19 Jul 2020 12:17

They all have to begin with B so that is what they have come up with, I don't think I have done enough to have a ship named after me! :think: :lol: :oops:

Borealis is previous ship name from before they were a cruise line and obviously northern hemisphere based it is something instantly thought of and Bolette is a family name, It is Fred Olsen Jr's Great, great grandmother (I think, not sure how many greats, but it sounds about enough. ) She was married to one of the business founders and they have had a few ships called Bolette since their start in 1848.

As for saying them, I was really struggling with Borealis the other day kept reversing the R and the L. I think was trying to say both names at once!

I suppose as they are currently Amsterdam and Rotterdam they could have become Bergen and Bodø, but I remember Bolette as a name being.. er.. floated when they were sending out questionnaires on a potential "new" ship.
Peka

Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Camela » 19 Jul 2020 18:01

I wonder how sentimental a company can be in this day and age with regards to ships' names? Borealis is relevant and I agree with Peka that Bergen would be good but Bolette seems to be vanity.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby Peka » 21 Aug 2020 15:42

Confirmed bye bye Boudi and Black Watch :cry: 2020 just when I thought you couldn't get any worse!!

Bolette is taking over Boudicca's itineraries with her homeport of Dover and Borealis in Liverpool to replace Black Watch.

The ships are currently in Rotterdam dry dock ready for joining the fleet next month.

So sad to say goodbye to the two best ships in the fleet :sad: so lucky to have have sailed on both for long cruises and Black Watch again in February.

Edited for typo lucky not mucky!! :oops:
Last edited by Peka on 22 Aug 2020 08:24, edited 1 time in total.
Peka

Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Bolette and Borealis

Postby adogap » 22 Aug 2020 06:31

FO have announced neither Boudicca or BW will sail with them again. My guess is they will retain them in the meantime to quarantine crew when cruising resumes. I too have had many cruises on both ships and fortunate to have fond memories.
Baltic Cities, Balmoral, June 2018
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Bolette and Borealis

Postby Gillzajoker » 22 Aug 2020 10:08

End of an era, sadly! I just hope it is not another nail in the coffin for cruising, :cry:
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Next