Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - North Wales and Chester Zoo

North Wales and Chester Zoo

Postby vulcanxh558 » 28 Apr 2019 19:24

Having a week off this Easter we booked a couple of Travelodges and went on a trip. Starting at home we first went to North Wales and then made our way back towards Chester and a visit to the zoo before meeting up with friends who run a pub and travelling home.

First stop - Porthmadog. A small town really with not a massive amount to do but its nicely filled with shops and a small harbour. Fish and chips just had to be done and we used tripadvisor on the best one and it was very nice indeed.

Now me and the other half love North Wales, if we could live there, we would, so driving on the little country lanes is brilliant for us (not sure if the car enjoyed the black arrow routes). Even on misty days you get views like this.

After stopping we decided on a trip to a waterfall called Pistyll Rhaeadr (pronounced Pistall Rider). And I wasnt disappointed. Even with decent weather, there was still a bit of water flowing over the top and down the 240ft drop.

And then on to Chester for the night (another Travelodge) before the zoo in the morning.

Chester Zoo is quite a large place, the enclosures and large and the animals are very well looked after. Id recommend buying tickets online as you can get a discount but dont bother with the monorail tickets. We bought them and theres only 2 stops so the queues can be huge so we didnt bother. Its about 125 acres and you can have a reasonably slow walk around and see it all in about 6 hours.

A stop in Crewe to see friends and then home.
Mediterranean Cruise booked for May 2020.
vulcanxh558
Ensign
Ensign

Re: North Wales and Chester Zoo

Postby Camela » 29 Apr 2019 10:09

Sounded a lovely break, I love Chester.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby judgegeoff » 29 Apr 2019 13:56

Chester and North Wales hold very warm memories for me. When I was a young child (around 1950) my father's friend was the Manager of Chester Zoo and we used to have some wonderful tours of the Zoo, visiting areas not normally available to the public.

In 1966, as a young engineer, I was sent to test and commission the 400kv Switching station at Connors Quay, near Chester. Whilst there I shared a garret flat in Hough Green, Chester, with 4 colleagues. We slept in sleeping bags in a row of 5 single beds in the one long bedroom. The bedroom, being in the roof, was freezing cold in the winter and stiflingly hot in the summer (we couldn't open the window as we were just downwind from an abattoir and the smells were awful). One of my colleagues came from a farming family and came back from a visit to his parents with a piglet rearing lamp. Thereafter we slept as snugly as a litter of piglets beneath that light!!! :D :D :D

In 1967 I was sent to test and commission the 132kV and 400kv Substations at Wylfa Nuclear Power Station on the Isle of Anglesey. I was staying at the 'Trecastell Hotel' at Bull Bay, midway between Cemaes Bay and Moelfre, where I found a very attractive receptionist named Christine. Christine and I started dating and we were married in the little church at Llanfairmathafarnithaf on the 8th June 1968. Three weeks after the wedding we flew out to Zambia where I was to work as a Grid Control Engineer for six years. We celebrated 50 years of happy marriage last year.

In 1976, during that long hot summer which some of you may remember, we spent an idyllic long holiday staying in a remote cottage on the Lleyn Peninsular in North Wales with my parents and our (then) two children. Each day was warm with blue skies and we visited some wonderful places and beaches. happy days. :)
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020 (now virtual)
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 30 Apr 2019 10:50

Awwww! A lovely trip down Memory Lane, Geoff! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag: