Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - MSC Reveal the look of their new class of ships

MSC Reveal the look of their new class of ships

Postby tomvet » 02 Jun 2017 20:29

I wonder if MSC are planning to homeport one of their ships in Durban considering this level of investment described in Cruise Industry News

MSC Wins Bid for Durban Cruise Terminal
June 01, 2017

New Terminal in Durban

The Durban Cruise Terminal will be getting a significant upgrade as KwaZulu Cruise Terminal, a joint venture between MSC Cruises and Africa Armada Consortium, has won the bid build a new two-ship terminal and operate it for the next 25 years.

It also underlines MSC’s leadership position in the South Africa cruise market, where it remains the only company with a significant presence.

MSC plans to start construction later this year with a completion date of 2019. The cruise company owns 70 percent of the venture.
April 2018 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby divingbrit » 02 Jun 2017 21:40

Its too big, one could get lost on that and never find your way back to your cabin. :cry:
Scuba diving is not a Sport its an Art
divingbrit
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 02 Jun 2017 21:55

tomvet wrote:I wonder if MSC are planning to homeport one of their ships in Durban considering this level of investment described in Cruise Industry News

June 01, 2017

New Terminal in Durban

The Durban Cruise Terminal will be getting a significant upgrade as KwaZulu Cruise Terminal, a joint venture between MSC Cruises and Africa Armada Consortium, has won the bid build a new two-ship terminal and operate it for the next 25 years.

It also underlines MSC’s leadership position in the South Africa cruise market, where it remains the only company with a significant presence.

MSC plans to start construction later this year with a completion date of 2019. The cruise company owns 70 percent of the venture.

MSC operate one of their ships from South Africa during the European winter (South African summer). The "MSC Sinfonia" will be there in 2018 and the "MSC Musica" in 2019. In 2015 Chris and I sailed from Cape Town to Venice on the "MSC Opera" when she was repositioning back to Europe after her spell in South Africa and we are hoping to sail from Durban to Venice in either 2018 or 2019. However, I cannot see them putting one of their new class of ships in South Africa for many a year.
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 02 Jun 2017 22:04

judgegeoff wrote:
tomvet wrote:I wonder if MSC are planning to homeport one of their ships in Durban considering this level of investment described in Cruise Industry News

June 01, 2017

New Terminal in Durban

MSC operate one of their ships from South Africa during the European winter (South African summer). The "MSC Sinfonia" will be there in 2018 and the "MSC Musica" in 2019. In 2015 Chris and I sailed from Cape Town to Venice on the "MSC Opera" when she was repositioning back to Europe after her spell in South Africa and we are hoping to sail from Durban to Venice in either 2018 or 2019. However, I cannot see them putting one of their new class of ships in South Africa for many a year.

Maybe not a new ship but an older one to make room for the new one. I am not looking forward to same ole same ole West Med itineraries - Barcelona - Palma - Palermo - Rome - La Spezia - Genoa - Marseille.
April 2018 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Skier Pete » 02 Jun 2017 23:42

tomvet wrote:I like the look of the ship but almost 7000 passengers is daunting! I wonder if they will do cabins for 5!!!

They are already doing cabins for 5 on SEASIDE and SEAVIEW

and cabin complexes for families on MERVIGLIA
which can be a combination of:- 2 x OV and 1 x inside, or, 2 x balcony and 1 x inside; or, I x OV and 1 x inside,
or, 1 x balcony and 1 x inside

Skiing comes 1st; Cruising a close 2nd

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
Skier Pete
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby tomvet » 03 Jun 2017 02:44

Skier Pete wrote:
tomvet wrote:I like the look of the ship but almost 7000 passengers is daunting! I wonder if they will do cabins for 5!!!

They are already doing cabins for 5 on SEASIDE and SEAVIEW

and cabin complexes for families on MERVIGLIA
which can be a combination of:- 2 x OV and 1 x inside, or, 2 x balcony and 1 x inside; or, I x OV and 1 x inside,
or, 1 x balcony and 1 x inside

I must take a closer look! Pity Meraviglia's itinerary is only so so!
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Previous