Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - MSC allegedly dumps rubbish at sea

MSC allegedly dumps rubbish at sea

Postby Dave » 17 Mar 2014 08:41

Here's an interesting story I spotted from http://www.cruiselawnews.com on the Cruising Mates news page:

MSC Cruises' Garbage Dumping Scandal: Will Travel Agents, Travel Writers & Cruise Bloggers Look the Other Way?

The article includes two short video clips (shown here) and a longer one (with a foreign commentary) which appear to show an MSC crew member throwing rubbish bags overboard at night...

Travel Agents, Writers, and Cruise Bloggers: So far not a single travel publication has touched the story. There are thousands of tweets and Facebook posts from the usual cruise bloggers (Cruise Hive, Cruise Currents, Cruise Fever, Cruise Critic) and travel writers (Travel Weekly, Travel Pulse) about the best deals on cruises. Many hundreds of travel agents are hawking cruises on Twitter. But no one is mentioning garbage bags in the sea dumped at night.

That's bad for the travel agents' business. And whether the cruise lines are polluting or not, travel agents are selling cruises on the MSC Magnifica right now. 99% of the travel writers and cruise bloggers just want the pollution story to go away. They don't want to embarrass their friends in the cruise industry. They're afraid that the cruise lines won't give them complimentary or heavily discounted cruises if they mention the story.

That's what MSC Cruises and CLIA are counting on. The cruise industry won't change a bit as long as the 16,000 CLIA travel agents and travel writers remain silent as the oceans are polluted with cruise garbage.
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 17 Mar 2014 08:49

They're afraid that the cruise lines won't give them complimentary or heavily discounted cruises if they mention the story.

Now that strikes a chord with me: Reviews, freebies and gushiness?. ;)
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby JollyJill » 17 Mar 2014 09:07

Dave wrote:
They're afraid that the cruise lines won't give them complimentary or heavily discounted cruises if they mention the story.

Now that strikes a chord with me: Reviews, freebies and gushiness?. ;)

That's the difference between cruising mates and other cruise forums that sell cruises. We can mention these stories without fear of
upsetting anyone. :)

I wonder if other cruise lines might be guilty of dumping rubbish at sea, especially on transatlantic crossings; let's hope not.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby grannyM » 17 Mar 2014 10:31

I wonder how the 'passenger' managed to get the video - perhaps there was a 'whistle blower'. :?

Absolutely dreadful but well done Jim Walker, the maritime lawyer for sticking with the story. There's a couple of other good articles on this website too.
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby grannyM » 17 Mar 2014 11:19

When I told T about this story he reminded me that he visits Cruise Law News a lot. Jim Walker is a high profile maritime lawyer often involved in controversial court cases, representing both passengers and crew members, against the cruise lines,

Jim Walker
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Dave » 17 Mar 2014 17:18

A topic just posted by the administrator of the UK's most popular commercial forum: Crew caught throwing rubbish overboard?

Where Cruising Mates leads... ;)
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby grannyM » 17 Mar 2014 17:25

Dave wrote:A topic just posted by the administrator of the UK's most popular commercial forum: Crew caught throwing rubbish overboard?

1 of our recent 100 guests no doubt. :roll: :roll:
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby khkate » 17 Mar 2014 19:07

Oops :oops: An embarrasing bit of footage to be aired - wonder what the crew member's story was!
Future Cruises - Baltics, Canaries Canada, Med, Scandinavia, UK
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby octocruiser » 17 Mar 2014 20:17

Well, it's not very likely that the crew member was doing it without instruction from above. Unless, by any chance it was easier and less work for him do it this way.

So I assume the crew menber would say 'Don't ask me, ask my boss ' or words to that effect.

Cheers Kath
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Barry » 17 Mar 2014 20:21

Dave wrote:A topic just posted by the administrator of the UK's most popular commercial forum: Crew caught throwing rubbish overboard?

Again :!:
Barry
Commodore
Commodore