Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Service Charge abolished

Service Charge abolished

Service Charge abolished

Postby bobbyoscar » 20 Aug 2018 10:42

I received the following email from P & O this morning:

"New, from May 2019, no discretionary daily Service Charge

We take huge pride in giving you a holiday that's truly memorable and our team on board is committed to providing exceptional service. From May 2019 (cruises A911, B912, E911/A, J903, N910, R907, X907 and all thereafter), the discretionary daily Service Charge on board will be removed so you can relax knowing it’s all taken care of. Changes like this do take a little bit of time to put in place, and so for holidays which depart before May, a discretionary daily Service Charge amount of £7 will continue to be added for guests aged 12 and over."

Cruises booked:
October 2018 – P & O Oriana - Cadiz - Catania - Corigliano Calabro – Venice –Zadar - Dubrovnik - Kotor - Corfu - Gibraltar
February 2019 – P & O Aurora - Andalsnes – Tromso – Alta – Stavanger
September 2019 - P & O Azura - Malaga -Messina - Mykonos - Piraeus - Santorini - Katakolon - Gibraltar
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Re: Service Charge abolished

Postby Wanderingsascent » 20 Aug 2018 14:02

Interesting to read this, always a lively topic on the forums. On our last cruise Azura Nov 2017 there was a huge queue to remove the charges.
Wanderingsascent
Ensign
Ensign

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Service Charge abolished

Postby bobbyoscar » 20 Aug 2018 15:01

Wanderingsascent wrote: On our last cruise Azura Nov 2017 there was a huge queue to remove the charges.

We've always kept them on as we've always had very good service from all and then pay individuals extra to those that have gone out of their way to help us.

So, our next two cruises, will be as normal and then come Sept next year, will be under the new system.

Cruises booked:
October 2018 – P & O Oriana - Cadiz - Catania - Corigliano Calabro – Venice –Zadar - Dubrovnik - Kotor - Corfu - Gibraltar
February 2019 – P & O Aurora - Andalsnes – Tromso – Alta – Stavanger
September 2019 - P & O Azura - Malaga -Messina - Mykonos - Piraeus - Santorini - Katakolon - Gibraltar
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Service Charge abolished

Postby grannyM » 20 Aug 2018 16:43

bobbyoscar wrote:We've always kept them on as we've always had very good service from all and then pay individuals extra to those that have gone out of their way to help us.

Same here Glyn. However it is a contentious issue which has long needed to be addressed but I do hope it is not the crew who suffer the loss of earnings.

I do think it's a step in the right direction and hopefully other lines follow suit although not sure the American lines whose Service charges are a lot more will be so inclined. Be interesting to see what happens but well done P&O. :thumbup:
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Service Charge abolished

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 28 Aug 2018 23:23

Are they putting up the cruise price to accommodate this change? or is the poor staff going to be the ones to take the heat for this change. Don't get me wrong i hate this whole idea of auto tips just for the plain and simple reason a tip is supposed to be reward for service thats been excellant and gone beyond just doing the basics expected of the job not a tip no matter what. In saying that i have yet to recevie anything that remotely looks like bad service on a ship. Okay i admit it i just hate being told what to do :lol:

I think it may be step in right direction to overhaul this outdated custom i just worry the staff will suffere because of this I hope not though
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

Service Charge abolished

Postby Gillzajoker » 29 Aug 2018 09:30

I think most people still tipped their cabin staff waiters, apart from the auto grats, so I'm sure that will continue, and probably with increased amounts. But P&O should spell it out that their staff won't suffer, and I'm sure it will be offset in the overall pricings. :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Service Charge abolished

Postby Peka » 29 Aug 2018 17:14

I read about this the other day but can't remember where it was for a source. Anyway it said that fares wouldn't be raised and crew would still be paid the same so no-one loses out. Makes you wonder how much money went their way in the first place :roll:

As for the overall cruise prices will have to see what the 2020 / 2021 fares look like to see if those price sneak up a little. Then they'll probably blame it on that thing beginning with B :roll: rexit.
Peka

Booked: Adriatic 2019 / Black Watch

Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
Iceland